Great Read on Burfict & Scouting

HoosierCat

The comments section has me cracking up.

All the crap about teams passed on him because of "character concerns", as if there isn't a single team that takes chances on players.

All teams in the league draft choir boys right ?? Bullsh*t.

Teams take "flyers" on guys all the time. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Luckily for the Bengals, Lewis had a good interaction with Burfict and he chose to come to Cincinnati.

I just don't buy that a guy that was acknowledged as having first round talent isn't worth taking a late round flyer on.

Hell, the Bengals didn't even spend a pick on him.

The comments section has me cracking up.

All the crap about teams passed on him because of "character concerns", as if there isn't a single team that takes chances on players.

All teams in the league draft choir boys right ?? Bullsh*t.

Teams take "flyers" on guys all the time. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Luckily for the Bengals, Lewis had a good interaction with Burfict and he chose to come to Cincinnati.

I just don't buy that a guy that was acknowledged as having first round talent isn't worth taking a late round flyer on.

Hell, the Bengals didn't even spend a pick on him.

It bothers me when people talk like Burfict had legal trouble and teams were worried he was going to be in prison. Unless I'm mistaken, all of his "character" issues were on the field, no? As far as I can tell, he's never been a concern off the field? For a kid who grew up with a drug dealer daddy who was in prison almost all of his life, I'd say Vontaze turned out quite all right.

I think it was the combine that really sunk him. The rumor mill alone would have pushed him down, but showing up overweight and unprepared for the cattle call just reinforced all the bad stuff that was being said. With teams more gun-shy than ever about character issues, Burfict basically gave no one any reason to draft him. IIRC the Bengals weren't the only one chasing him after the draft and actually gave him $1,000 to sign as a UDFA.

ETA: here's a nugget from Hobson's latest, talking for ST coach Darrin Simmons about scouting and the combine:

Simmons, by the way, detests the format of the combine. Since the players can practice the drills and rehearse their answers, he thinks there is little evidence to grade a player in a sport that lives on adjustment and performance in the heat of battle amid changing conditions and fatigue.

I'm sure Simmons isn't alone in thinking that the combine ought to be cakewalk. When you eff up a cakewalk as bad as Burfict did, teams run away fast.

• 1 month later...

Burfict scores in the performance-based pay bonus race again. :sure:

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/24/5542982/vontaze-burfict-gets-another-nice-performance-based-pay-bump

Almost $316k this year after collecting nearly $300k last year.

• 1 month later...

Sign him to a long term contract like now. I want Burdick signed more than Dayton or Green because they are more replaceable not every year Ray Lewis falls into your lap.

I'm with you on that. And they should draft that d-lineman he likes while they're at it! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Burfict is the feel good story of the year. Unless you are carrying the ball for a Bengals opponent, in which case it is the feel kind of dizzy with mild urge to vomit story of the year.

Even Steeler Fans Agree o.O

Ryanclark

I will still neither understand nor forgive why the steelers didn’t take a 7th round flier on him (every other team probably says the same) yeah he was a lunatic in college, how many great players turned themselves around after they woke up in the pros, myself and others for various teams got so many red thumbs suggesting our teams should chance drafting him late. 7th round picks are meant for those types of gambles. He had 2nd round talent (at worst). And besides it’s not like the league is full of choir boys. If I felt more motivated I’d go find the links to the articles on this about him some of the comments were comically ridiculous. Broke in 3 years, if a prospect wasn’t perfect, at least he wasn’t burfict….well now he’s getting paid, if he wasn’t a Bengal I’d be rooting for him non stop. Seems to have matured no end. Best of luck to him.

though some of them are still retarded.

crownofthehelmet says: May 16, 2014 11:43 AM

Guy’s good – the 3rd best LB in the afcn behind Timmons and Shazier. Not too shabby.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. Hobson:

I haven't heard a word lately about signing Burfict to a long term deal. What's up? Dick Feldon, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

DICK: I’d like to know, too. A few weeks ago a Fox report surfaced that said they had made progress, but that was directly opposite from what I was hearing. Not an easy deal to do. He’s put up great numbers in his first two years, but theoretically they have him for two more years because they can tender him at the highest restricted free agent number after this season. So there’s got to be a middle way in there. The team has to recognize he’s put up elite numbers and his people have to realize it’s early to do a deal. In the end, it sounds like they’ll find some common ground if that report came from his side.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-Many-happy-returns/db571cc9-4ab0-4dbf-9893-890d95f2c040

Warning: :beatdeadhorse:

WTF are they planning on doing with that $25 million in cap space???? First it was to sign Green and Dalton, then it was to sign Burfict and Dalton after they exercised the fifth-year option on AJ, and now it's to...what? For three years they've been telling us they have to let guys walk and sock away cash to sign their core guys and now all we hear is Andy wants too much or Vontaze is tough to do or AJ can wait until next year or maybe the year after 'cause we can tag him.

But hey, we extended Peko, so championship!

[/rant]

Jesus fucking christ, pay Burfict. Of all people to quibble over! This dude put in two years of body-damaging work for peanuts. He's a solid citizen, and a beast on the field AND has great practice habits, I've heard. Where is the weakness in his game that is holding us back from a top-ten at his position deal? Nothing. It's the two years we have him on his free agent deal that they are trying to leverage him with. Ie - sign this or we'll just let you play for 600K or whatever it is. If that is going on, I'm losing all respect for the triumverate that I've gained over the last few years. Even though there is no one in my office to see it, I've got a particularly indignant look on my face right now!