Combine

ArmyBengal

I know there are many people that could care less about the "underwear olympics", but I always found them interesting.

I know people get caught up in the 40 times, but I like to see what linemen do in the bench press and the drills.

Since we are talking about CB's for the Bengals, I like to see how well they backpedal and react to the ball in the air.

If I were interested in another WR, I enjoy watching their drills as well.

For me, the focus will be on both lines and the DB's.

I've got the DVR set already.

I like it because most of what we've seen from these guys is through intermittent college games or highlights. this puts them into a standardized environment so they can be assessed on level ground (for what that's worth). for fans, its fun to watch the whole spectacle. I enjoy it.

One other point, maybe not as bad as Burfict but Tyrann Mathieu is the perfect example of a guy who looked decent at the combine, not jumping out as ridiculously above the other backs however once he got on the field in AZ and in games, he vaulted up into rarified air. So, as has been said so often, its not the end all for evaluations. Just a small part.

An example is the Michigan St. CB, Dennard.

Most don't expect him to have eye popping 40 times and they think that will hurt him.

I'm hoping it does and he's there at #24, because when you watch him play, he brings it every snap.

Anyway, enjoy it or not, it's something football related and I for one am thankful for it.

Like I said, the DVR is set.

To echo Darrin Simmons' comments from the other day, the importance of the combine is mostly that you (meaning the potential draftee) don't screw it up. By now teams have their scouting reports, they've watched the film, they have guys at least tentatively ranked and in Indy it's all about looking for reasons not to draft a player.

It ought to be easy. Lay off the Mary Jane for a couple weeks, show up in shape, be polite and respectful in interviews, and smile and recite stock lines ("I'm just happy for the opportunity." "I'm blessed." etc.) for the media cameras. But every year there are guys that can't manage even that.

Looks like o-line is first up for Hobs to report on. There are a few interesting bits.

After viewing Thursday morning's weigh-in for the offensive line on the first full day of the NFL Scouting Combine, Alexander's "eye-ball test," saw what he has seen on tape the past month. It is a deep a draft.

If that's really how he and the Bengals feel, then it wouldn't seem like there would be pressure to grab (or reach for) a G or T at 24.

So he still needs a guard. It could be Hawkinson, a rookie that looked good playing both tackle and guard in the last preseason, but Alexander says guard is his best position.

So if they do take a guy it's probably a tackle.

The other option is that deep draft of tackles that can play the left side. The conventional wisdom is that there are a handful of guys among the NFL's top 30 prospects that can play left tackle, which would indicate they can get one at No. 24. With Whitworth turning 33 in December and working on a deal through 2015, when is it time to draft his replacement if Collins isn't re-upped?

Good question. Geoff speculates:

Rob Rang, resident draft guru for NFLDraftscout.com and CBS Sports.com, isolated Alabama's Cyrus Kouandjio and Virginia's Morgan Moses as potential late first-rounders. Kouandjio is out of the recent 'Bama tradition of Andre Smith and D.J. Fluker, a big, 6-6, 6-7ish guy that has good feet and good tape in a good league, although the word is he has struggled against speed rushers. The 6-foot-6, 325-pound Moses allowed just two sacks on 506 passes in 43 career starts. Not exactly a pro offense, but Rang says he's coming off "a spectacular Senior Bowl,' that showed he has the stuff to pass block.

I can't say either pick would excite me but I could hardly complain.

Kouandijo is where I would place my money IF they don't bring Collins back and they feel the need to take an OT at #24.

Funny thing is, CB is also pretty deep and we could certainly get a nice one in the 2nd round.

I would bet between Roby, Purifoy, and Verrett, one of them will be there.

Again, I just want to see what they look like at the combine and o-line and DB's will be getting my attention.

Kouandijo is where I would place my money IF they don't bring Collins back and they feel the need to take an OT at #24.

Funny thing is, CB is also pretty deep and we could certainly get a nice one in the 2nd round.

I would bet between Roby, Purifoy, and Verrett, one of them will be there.

Again, I just want to see what they look like at the combine and o-line and DB's will be getting my attention.

Kouandijo is know feared to have arthritic knees. And his workout seems to show he is in a deterioration of condition.

All the data results so far in one spot.

/>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AseLAGMydisldHE0Rl9kOGxPXzhPckREX3NQd0dQTGc&usp=drive_web#gid=2

I'm still convinced they go corner at 24. More to worry with a defensive backfield with 2 guys approaching mid 30, another on his second Achilles tear, and a still raw Dre. After that, there is not much to be excited about.

Yeah, I saw that as well King.

Too bad for him, because if he had a better than average combine, he might have even gone sooner than #24.

I guess Zack Martin would be the next contestant on "Do we take an OT at #24".

He could go sooner, but he's right around that range.

Yes, I still believe they go CB as well, but there are things that would play into that for me.

If both Dennard and Gilbert are gone, which I think is a real possibility AND they don't bring back Collins, OT becomes a MUCH larger need.

I really hope with the increase in the salary cap, that they can get Collins done sooner rather than later.

There is a lot of CB depth, so taking one at 24 not for sure. So many things to factor, probably no way to predict with any certainty.

I'm guessing MJ is gone. I think Collins should be kept, as it maintains line continuity so Dalton has at least a fighting chance.

Is it just me or is this an especially quiet combine, at least for Cincy? So far we've had just four guys ID'd as meeting with the team and only one, Shazier, is a first-round prospect. No chatter about an extension for Green and only a vague passing mention of extending Dalton. And that was just a "at some point in the future I'm sure we will sit down" type of comment from Lewis. No word of any team's interest in AC and nothing, at least that I've seen, aside from some speculation about Atlanta, regarding MJ. This despite the combine being labeled a giant tamper-fest this year. The only real blip on the radar was the ludicrous Dunlap "rumor."

Maybe the Bengals are just being more closed-lipped this year. Or maybe it's that Reedy has already checked out with this being his last week on the beat and Coley, coming out of the college ranks, isn't yet up to "Hensley speed."

There is a lot of CB depth, so taking one at 24 not for sure. So many things to factor, probably no way to predict with any certainty.

I'm guessing MJ is gone. I think Collins should be kept, as it maintains line continuity so Dalton has at least a fighting chance.

Yep, I think as soon as they tagged MJ and then gave that offer to Dunlap, MJ's days were done here.

I can't say as i'm that concerned either, as Gilberry filled in nicely Geathers comes back with Hunt getting more time.

I would rather have MJ than not, as i'm not suggesting he sucks, but rather the team is in a pretty good spot there.

Collins was and is my main priority, as I think him staying or going has a HUGE impact on how they draft.

Collins leaving could equate to an OT being taken in the first round. Collins staying frees that up considerably.

I'm really hopeful to be looking at a draft where almost any position could be addressed at #24.

Here's cbs' post-combine top 50. Interestingly they have 4 CBs available between 24 and 29:

24. Kyle Fuller CB, Virginia Tech (6-0, 190, 4.49, SR)

A versatile defensive back, Fuller is aggressive and smart and the game appears to come natural to him. He is an inconsistent tackler and needs to stay healthy, but he has the smooth hips, transition skills and ballskills to be a NFL starter at cornerback.

26. Jason Verrett CB, TCU (5-9, 189, 4.38, SR)

Although undersized with only good, not great, speed (plays more like 4.5, not 4.3), Verrett is a feisty and physical player with ballhawking read/react quickness. He is ideally suited to be an inside corner with his swivel hips and physical nature to cover the slot and be reliable vs. the run.

28. Marcus Roberson CB, Florida (6-0, 191, 4.61, JR)

A fearless, confident cover corner, Roberson battled through several injuries in 2013, most notably a left knee issue. But when healthy, he has the footwork, movement skills and competitive nature to blanket receivers along with the instincts to make plays on the ball.

29. Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State (6-0, 202, 4.37, SR)

Gilbert had an excellent Combine, highlighted by a 4.37 40-yard dash, which will likely move him up draft boards, possibly into the top-10. However, he still has questions with his footwork and technique to be a consistent cover man up and down the field.

I doubt Gilbert is there but it seems like there will be value at 24 if they want a corner.

You forgot Dennard, who could still be there based on other teams needs, but like Gilbert, I doubt it.

Bradley Roby pops on that list at #50 as well.

17. Darqueze Dennard CB, Michigan State (5-11, 199, 4.52, SR)

The 2013 winner of the Thorpe Award, Dennard has average speed and size for the position, but he is smart, competitive and confident. If he can cut down on the downfield contact, Dennard has a chance to be a very good cover man in the NFL for a long time.

Here's cbs' post-combine top 50. Interestingly they have 4 CBs available between 24 and 29:

24. Kyle Fuller CB, Virginia Tech (6-0, 190, 4.49, SR)

A versatile defensive back, Fuller is aggressive and smart and the game appears to come natural to him. He is an inconsistent tackler and needs to stay healthy, but he has the smooth hips, transition skills and ballskills to be a NFL starter at cornerback.

26. Jason Verrett CB, TCU (5-9, 189, 4.38, SR)

Although undersized with only good, not great, speed (plays more like 4.5, not 4.3), Verrett is a feisty and physical player with ballhawking read/react quickness. He is ideally suited to be an inside corner with his swivel hips and physical nature to cover the slot and be reliable vs. the run.

28. Marcus Roberson CB, Florida (6-0, 191, 4.61, JR)

A fearless, confident cover corner, Roberson battled through several injuries in 2013, most notably a left knee issue. But when healthy, he has the footwork, movement skills and competitive nature to blanket receivers along with the instincts to make plays on the ball.

29. Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State (6-0, 202, 4.37, SR)

Gilbert had an excellent Combine, highlighted by a 4.37 40-yard dash, which will likely move him up draft boards, possibly into the top-10. However, he still has questions with his footwork and technique to be a consistent cover man up and down the field.

I doubt Gilbert is there but it seems like there will be value at 24 if they want a corner.

I like Fuller the best of the first round corners. To me, he just looks natural out there and his aggressiveness fits our defense well. Would be thrilled if he's our pick.