Hall on Schedule for September Return

HoosierCat

Nice update from Hobson.

“I tell him all the time he looks better than he did last time,” Cosgray says. “Everything looks cleaner. He looks a little stronger than he did back then. He’s doing calf raises more efficiently than last time. I think this rehab is a little better this around, which is pretty normal. They talk about a guy coming off a second ACL tear and the second rehab always goes a little bit better. It’s kind of the same deal with this.”

There are no gold-plated mile posts on the Drudgery Turnpike. But there are a lot of toll booths demanding sweat. Hall is past the stage where he has been jogging on the zero gravity treadmill and he is now able to jump through the squares of a floor ladder in the gym. Just to take the edge off the monotony, he fires up a three-point shot with a basketball Cosgray feeds him after stepping through the last square.

Indeed, if the Midwest was not Ice Station Zebra, Hall already would have been outside running striders before getting ready to sprint by the time of the May and June camps.

More at the link. It will be an amazing feat if he can pull it off again. Based on the last time he will need six or eight games to round into shape but even a not-100% Hall would be a godsend given our question-filled secondary. I fully expect them to go CB early in the draft and it would be nice not to have to rush a rookie into the mix.

• 2 months later...

Well they start the off season program next week, so we will see much more about things like him and Geno real soon.

I'm rooting for Hall and think he will come back around in time, but Geno is a guy I really want to see good news on.

While there was solid play in his absence, there's really no replacing someone like him who creates so much disruption.

Well they start the off season program next week, so we will see much more about things like him and Geno real soon.

I'm rooting for Hall and think he will come back around in time, but Geno is a guy I really want to see good news on.

While there was solid play in his absence, there's really no replacing someone like him who creates so much disruption.

Yah. I have been trying real hard not to be worried about Geno but the silence on his front has been deafening. So I'm anxious to see where he is at.

I have been trying real hard not to be worried about Geno but the silence on his front has been deafening.

I would imagine they'll release a "Geno's on target for scheduled return" press statement in the next couple of weeks to create a smoke and mirrors affect for the draft. Of course the draft will be the real indicator of Geno's recovery in my opinion ... a DE early doors would mean he's not back too soon, a DE later, if at all, then I'd read into it that his rehab is going well.

Great news on Hall though, although I still expect the secodary to be addressed early rounds of the draft :sure:/>

Since i'm left to guessing about Geno, I would make the guess that since he's one of the most dedicated players to his lifting regiment, he will be fine.

Usually people that have good habits in regards to working out, continue that path in recovery as well.

So until I hear the worst, I will expect the best for the situation.

With the play they got in their rotation after Geno went down last year, I don't think they have to make a move early at DT.

I wouldn't say that it would surprise me if they do, I just don't think they HAVE to.

Some more on Hall from Hobson:

If the weather had been good Monday, Hall would have been on the field at Paul Brown Stadium doing football drills just 176 days after tearing his second Achilles in three years. Instead he stayed inside for rehab.

“Weather permitting. Going out in the rain, it makes no sense,” Hall said. “I can pretty much do everything. Back pedal, breaking on the ball, doing the whole deal, 360 turns, 180 turns…

“If I keep this pace up, I’m not really worried about if I’m going to be ready for training camp. It’s more just preparing for the start of training camp.”

That was Bengals director of rehab Nick Cosgray’s successful timetable when Hall came back from tearing the left Achilles during the 2011 season and rebounded to have such a brilliant 2012 season that many in the league thought it was Pro Bowl worthy even if the voters didn’t. He didn’t participate in the spring camps and just focused on the last week in July.

But even though Hall, 29, is two years older, this rehab on his right Achilles seems to be even a little quicker.

“Early on I felt like it was a little ahead of schedule, which is good,” Hall said. “But we thought we had so much time, we slowed it down a little bit and have been keeping a steady pace.”

Sounds good to me.

Much of that from Hall probably comes from the fact that he knows what to expect with that type of injury having already suffered one.

Having gone through the rehab for the injury gives the player a much better perspective and it wouldn't surprise me to see him come back better this time around.

It would be a huge boost to have him back at a high level of play. If he can, I'd say it would be one of the more miraculous stories of injury/recover in quite a while.

That he cam back from the first one and played at essentially an elite level was downright amazing. To do it again, nothing short of crazy.

It would be a huge boost to have him back at a high level of play.

With Hall, Pacman, Kirkpatrick, plus an early round CB in the draft I don't think our secondary would be too weak at all going into the second half of the season (Hall back to full fitness, Dre a wee bit more experience, and any new guy having that bit of pro coaching)

I wonder what we get out of Newman this season.

He thrived under Zimmer in Dallas and then fell off when he left.

People thought we were crazy to bring him in and then Zimmer got him playing well again in his system.

Now Zimmer is gone and i'm left to wonder how much the defense will change and how it affects Newman.

Yeah, they need an early round CB with little to no thought and probably another somewhere along the way.

I'm really hopeful for Hall !!!