Free Agency

combatbengal

Nope, it was for real.

(shakes head in dismay)

Another cap update from Harvey:

Currently, the Bengals are operating at more than $24,230,000 under the salary cap, according to figures from the NFL Players Association. ESPN's Stats & Information has them slightly higher, at just more than $24,309,000 under the cap.

Newly signed Bengals defensive end Sam Montgomery's contract hasn't yet been added to those figures.

The NFLPA has the Browns at more than $39 million remaining, the Jets at more than $26 million and the Jaguars closer to $15 million left in cap space. Per their numbers, the Bengals are third in existing cap space.

I doubt Montgomery is making more than the minimum, which would be $495,000, so his impact on the cap is basically negligible. The Browns' number doesn't include Mack, so it's more like $30 million.

Coley is betting that extensions for Dalton and Burfict will eat up most of the remaining space.

Another cap update from Harvey:

Currently, the Bengals are operating at more than $24,230,000 under the salary cap, according to figures from the NFL Players Association. ESPN's Stats & Information has them slightly higher, at just more than $24,309,000 under the cap.

Newly signed Bengals defensive end Sam Montgomery's contract hasn't yet been added to those figures.

The NFLPA has the Browns at more than $39 million remaining, the Jets at more than $26 million and the Jaguars closer to $15 million left in cap space. Per their numbers, the Bengals are third in existing cap space.

I doubt Montgomery is making more than the minimum, which would be $495,000, so his impact on the cap is basically negligible. The Browns' number doesn't include Mack, so it's more like $30 million.

Coley is betting that extensions for Dalton and Burfict will eat up most of the remaining space.

there is simply no way Burfict and Dalton consume $24M this year. no way

So, just to recap...for three years all we have heard is how the Bengals can't sign any big free agents or even afford to keep all their own talent because they have to save up a giant pile of money for Dalton and Green.

Now that push has come to shove, talks with Dalton appear to be going nowhere fast, and talks with Green...not even begun.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/bengals-a-j-green-not-talking-about-a-new-contract-yet/

Yeah, but you said it yourself Hoosier. The Bengals don't really have any reason to rush into the mega-deal AJ is going to get.

They have him under contract in 2014 and will for 2015 when they exercise the 5th year option.

After that, they could tag him in 2016 and he'll be 29 before the 2017 season begins.

While I won't say that is the way the Bengals should deal with him, the situation is what it is and the Bengals "should" use that money to secure other priorities.

Then again, you could have one of those situations where AJ holds out and things get ugly.

I want it all to get done, but can't sit in judgement on how things are happening from a business perspective.

There are certainly arguments to be made on both sides.

I guess i'm just not as down as most seem to be. Here's where I am since the playoff loss.

I expected MJ to leave regardless. The team has depth at the position and Hunt coming into his second season.

Collins hurt me personally, since I wanted to see him at LT and Whit inside, but the team wasn't willing to hand him the job and piss off Whit.

AJ can be put on hold for the time being even though I want to see him get taken care of. You don't let your #4 overall leave when he's one of the best WR's in the league.

Dalton may or may not get done, but I never had an issue in seeing the team take it's time with him. I would be content to wait until season's end and then revisit it.

What I would like to see happen sooner rather than later is to get Burfict taken care of.

I don't know if anyone can point to another player more deserving of a fat contract extension.

They got him at a cheap rate and all he's done is become one of the most feared and productive LB's in the league.

Once the draft happens, we should have a better idea of what the organization is thinking.

I get the whole feeling like the organization is adrift though.

I'm just not feeling it as much as others.

Well life has been so busy for me the last week, Monday my baby boy was born, and today I closed on my new house, not to mention had to have all my stuff out of the house by Thursday. Yep so life has been stressful, and filled with much happiness. Glad to see not much has changed with free agency around here, lol.

Well life has been so busy for me the last week, Monday my baby boy was born, and today I closed on my new house, not to mention had to have all my stuff out of the house by Thursday. Yep so life has been stressful, and filled with much happiness. Glad to see not much has changed with free agency around here, lol.

Congrats!!!

Congrats!!!

+1! Best to you, mom and the newb!

Again, the Bengals are in uncharted territory. Someone on here said it best. They aren't used to this kind of success (3 playoff appearences in a row). However, they may not have it in their "DNA" to know how to take it to the next step.

Can anyone honestly say that they're a better team now than they were when the season ended? I can't. And if we're waiting for another stellar draft class to push them over the top and get a playoff win, is the 2014 draft class going to do that? I don't even think it's fair to assume they won't have a hiccup this season and whiff on some picks. I won't hold them accountable in that area.

But...when you looked at this team and noticed the major holes that have kept them from advancing it's been at O-line and in the secondary. I'll even throw consistent RB play in there. To date, aside from dumping Kyle Cook, they have done NOTHING to shore up their weaker areas that signal an improvement for 2014. No O-line additions at a key area of this team that really only needs 1-2 good players added. And I've seen nothing to suggest there will be a major shakeup on the O-line. Damn shame too, because if you improve the line and give Dalton more protection he's a good QB. Moves on the O-line would be a win-win in more than one area.

This team appears to have no more of a plan for 2014 than to keep the ship upright and hope that Hue can work some magic. To me that is a BIG, HUGE recipe for disappointment in 2014. Because anything less than a playoff win is a failure for this season, IMO.

For all of the success this team has had, they can't seem to shake one big habit that continues to bite them. They fall in love with players and then become tied to the notion that there is "only one steadfast plan" for the next 2-3 years. They tend to overvalue talent and hold onto players that need to be replaced. They undervalue some of their talent and let those players walk.

I'm looking squarely at the O-line, where for years it seems, they have held onto players who have underperformed and continually started them. I'm also looking at a player like BJGE, who is just not getting it done. Collins, bad decision letting him go. Joseph set them back for more than one season when he walked. Cook should have been replaced 2 seasons ago. This front office deserves credit but also some honest criticism in that they just simply cannot adjust from a plan and cut losses when it's clear the plan is not going to take them over the top. Good teams are continually looking at how to add to their success and add depth and replace skill positions that can be upgraded. The Bengals simply are not proactive enough in these crucial areas.

Here's a good article, though I think the "Mike Brown is cheap" rhetoric is overplayed. I just don't think they know how to take things to the next level.

/>http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-04-17/cincinnati-bengals-free-agency-disappointment-profit-front-office-anthony-collins-michael-johnson-anthony-hawkins

Here's a good article, though I think the "Mike Brown is cheap" rhetoric is overplayed. I just don't think they know how to take things to the next level.

/>http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-04-17/cincinnati-bengals-free-agency-disappointment-profit-front-office-anthony-collins-michael-johnson-anthony-hawkins

Agreed. I don't think it's money that's the problem as much as the lack of organizational experience with success. The Bengals front office has never deliberately built a winner (not for any lack of trying). Even the current team has a foundation not in any plan by the FO, but in their star player walking out the door.

This team appears to have no more of a plan for 2014 than to keep the ship upright and hope that Hue can work some magic. To me that is a BIG, HUGE recipe for disappointment in 2014.

Yup. The standard strategy of wishin', hopin' and prayin'.

The expected is confirmed: Bengals exercise fifth-year option on Green. Unless a long-term deal is struck before then he will make WR transition money (something north of $10 million) in 2015.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/4/21/5628590/bengals-exercise-fifth-year-option-on-a-j-green

He is set to make a little over $3 million this season. The option year brings his total rookie contract to about $30 million over five years.

Not really news as it's been noted before, but further confirmation that the Bengals and Burfict are talking.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/4/22/5628838/time-for-bengals-to-extend-vontaze-burfict

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Between this year, a top RFA tag next year and a franchise tag in 2016, they could theoretically keep him for 3 years for about $15 million. So I'd guess that $5 million/year represents the floor for the deal.

OTOH, transition money for a LB is $9.7 million and franchise coin is north of $11 million. So figure the ceiling is circa $10 million.

My guess would be something averaging between $7 million and $8 million a year with a total value around $40 million, about half of which is guaranteed.

Not really news as it's been noted before, but further confirmation that the Bengals and Burfict are talking.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/4/22/5628838/time-for-bengals-to-extend-vontaze-burfict

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Between this year, a top RFA tag next year and a franchise tag in 2016, they could theoretically keep him for 3 years for about $15 million. So I'd guess that $5 million/year represents the floor for the deal.

OTOH, transition money for a LB is $9.7 million and franchise coin is north of $11 million. So figure the ceiling is circa $10 million.

My guess would be something averaging between $7 million and $8 million a year with a total value around $40 million, about half of which is guaranteed.

I think they can do this without even blinking, maybe even a shade higher. 4 years 45 Million.

If anything, he could end up being the highest paid guy on the D.

He could go down as one of the best undrafted players ever.