Free Agency

combatbengal

The question in Cleveland isn't money, it's whether Mack wants to stay. Given all the FO craziness, it would make sense to at least see what other teams might offer. The Browns may tag him though. We'll know one way or another soon because today is the deadline for using the tag.

That was always my question with the Browns.

What player truly wants to stay with an organization that consistently loses and has the turnover they do ??

I know money is a wonderful thing, but players want to win and after so much money, it really isn't a concern any more.

If it were me, I would jump that ship in a heartbeat. Nothing personal to the Browns fans, but "F" Cleveland.

That was always my question with the Browns.

What player truly wants to stay with an organization that consistently loses and has the turnover they do ??

I know money is a wonderful thing, but players want to win and after so much money, it really isn't a concern any more.

If it were me, I would jump that ship in a heartbeat. Nothing personal to the Browns fans, but "F" Cleveland.

I never could understand that myself.

Since 78% of them end up bankrupt between 2 and 5 years after retirement anyway, why not take the 3 million dollar a year contract with the contender, as opposed to the 6 million dollar a year with a cellar dweller???

At least this way, you are having some fun and enjoying the time you have to play.

I doubt most nfl players will decide as individuals that they will be in the alleged 78% and so "money doesn't matter"

I also doubt that it is equally likely that a player A earning 6 mil will go bankrupt as a player B earning 3 mil. Player A has an extra 3 million dollars to burn through in order to go bankrupt. He'll have to be extra foolish to keep stride with player B's descent into financial hell

Then again, I think I have heard this 78% figure from you before, and never with attribution. Care to provide a source?

1. Greg Hardy, DE, Panthers. Age: 26.

2. Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Redskins. Age: 28.

3. Michael Bennett, DE, Seahawks. Age: 28.

4. Lamarr Houston, DE, Raiders. Age: 27.

5. Jared Allen, DE, Vikings. Age: 32.

6. Michael Johnson, DE, Bengals. Age: 27.

7. Justin Tuck, DE, Giants. Age: 31.

Orakpo tagged.

I guess I failed to mention my thoughts are only based on me.

If I were a player and was given multiple millions of dollars, I would never have another care in the world.

Knowing THAT, my only other focus in regards to me being a player would be that I want to win.

If I were up for a second contract, after getting paid millions already, I would not take more from a losing organization.

I would more than likely take less to get that chance to win.

What anyone else would do, wasn't really part of my equation.

I doubt most nfl players will decide as individuals that they will be in the alleged 78% and so "money doesn't matter"

I also doubt that it is equally likely that a player A earning 6 mil will go bankrupt as a player B earning 3 mil. Player A has an extra 3 million dollars to burn through in order to go bankrupt. He'll have to be extra foolish to keep stride with player B's descent into financial hell

Then again, I think I have heard this 78% figure from you before, and never with attribution. Care to provide a source?

I'm pretty sure I linked at least one of these in my original post, but at my age, I could have forgotten.

Take your pick:

/>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1200856-why-nfl-players-really-go-bankrupt

/>https://www.munknee.com/78-of-nfl-players-go-bankrupt-within-5-years/

/>http://www.gobankingrates.com/debt/dan-marino-vince-young-broke-nfl-players-lost-fortunes/

/>http://www.theonion.com/articles/retiring-nfl-player-announces-plans-to-go-bankrupt,33923/

Bad news indeed, but then again, I never thought there was a snow balls chance of him coming here to begin with.

Per Schefty, the Browns are putting the transition tag on Mack, so they will have the option of matching any offer he gets.

ETA and the Steelers transition Worilds. Transition tag getting some love this year.

Yea no way Mack comes here now. Deanery says don't expect any top 25 guys to come here unless his name is MJ. So like other years bengals will use FA to supplement signing there own guys. So bengals fans every where I'm sure will be flipping out, we'll at least on bengals.com forum lol. Expect a boring FA I think.

I don't know why Bengals fans would be flipping out over anything to be honest.

It's been said numerous times by myself and others here, but when was the last time we've had more than one or two players worthy or being resigned ??

Not only resigning them, but high end guys that would start on any other roster in the league.

Yeah, FA tends to be boring in that situation. Welcome to fielding a competitive team.

Hey membengal

Tell me about this Titans cornerback named Verner

I know he was pro bowl and I know he had 5 ints, but I am more interested in knowing -- Is he a zone corner or a man\press corner?

I wonder if there is something else to him or are the Titans just that cap strapped ??

Usually teams don't just let probowl type guys walk away without even the thought of tagging.

With Grimes getting over 8 million per year in Miami, any thought of Verner ending up here is a pipe dream.

Tennessee has about $24 million in cap space. CBS just did a rundown of all the teams yesterday:

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24466063/nfl-salary-cap-where-each-team-stands-as-free-agency-looms

Here's their FA tracker:

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents

So like other years bengals will use FA to supplement signing there own guys. So bengals fans every where I'm sure will be flipping out

To be honest I think I'd prefer to sign our own, good, talented guys, rather than pick up a Free Agent or two, especially if they are quality guys demanding quality paychecks which could potentially unbalance the financial stability we currently have.

We certainly can't afford to plug all the holes via FA so signing your own (and at least they know the scheme and the coaching staff know them) is a sensible move.

We don't have any really glaring holes that can't be addressed by re-signing our own guys and a good draft (and we have an excellent recent history in drafting) so I see no need to break the bank for a FA.

I'm good with where we sit just now :sure:/>

I'm going to stay with the thought of possibly bringing in Jared Allen from the Vikings.

He would be a good vet signing that won't break the bank at 32 and he won't be expected to be MJ.

That being said, I think he would be very productive given the talent we currently have on the D-line.

God knows the Bengals would give him a better chance at winning than the Vikings could.

I don't think we will be big players and don't think we should really.

Just my random, yet possible, free agent thought.

Cheap ass Brown strikes again: Vinny Rey, Baby Hawk and Sanzenbacher all tendered at the lowest possible level, meaning NO compensation if they sign elsewhere. If we lose Rey and Hawkins I will be PISSED.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/contracts/2014/3/4/5471404/bengals-tender-restricted-free-agents-vincent-rey-andrew-hawkins-dane-sanzenbacher

Cheap ass Brown strikes again: Vinny Rey, Baby Hawk and Sanzenbacher all tendered at the lowest possible level, meaning NO compensation if they sign elsewhere. If we lose Rey and Hawkins I will be PISSED.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/contracts/2014/3/4/5471404/bengals-tender-restricted-free-agents-vincent-rey-andrew-hawkins-dane-sanzenbacher

That's too bad. Those are some quality dudes, particularly Rey! :unsure:

C'mon guys lets put this in perspective. All these guys have been in the League for what 4 (?) years now and should be contributing more imo.

Sanzenbacher has not lived up to expectations ... last season he only snagged 6 catches in total.

Hawkins has recently come back from injury - perhaps the coaches have more insight than we do regarding how he's progressing.

Vinny Rey - I am surprised at this but perhaps it's a warning shot across his bows to step it up.

If the Bengals didn't want these guys they could just cut them and let them walk, but they're playing it smart - they still have a chance to match any offer if they so wish but they are letting the market dictate the players value.

We can pick up replacements via the draft if need be:-

WR - we currently have Green, Jones, Sanu, Whalen, Tate, Hamilton, Hawkins and Sanzenbacher

LB - we currently have Burfict, Malaluga, Lamur, Porter, Schaffer, Boley, DiManche, Harrison, Joiner and Rey

I'm glad to see the Bengals putting a bit of pressure on players to perform and earn the big paycheck .... can't wait until they get round to the secondary and perhaps we can lose some deadwood from there ...Ghee and Mays in particular.