Free Agency

combatbengal

Another comparable to watch re a potential Dalton extension: KC and Alex Smith are talking extension.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/alex-smith-talks-going-slow-could-pick-up-after-the-draft/

PFT thinks the deal will land in the $14-17 million per year range.

Not sure what to make of this article.

/>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1994994-understanding-the-context-of-anthony-collins-success-for-the-cincinnati-bengals

On the one hand, it's quite possible that Collins was/is over-rated, and that he benefited from scheme and playcalling last season. On the other hand, the article only breaks down Collins' performance, so there's nothing to compare it to. For an article with "context" in the headline, there's none here. For example, I would bet that every LT gets some measure of help from scheme and playcalling. Did Collins get more? Less? About the same? Is his success rate better or worse than average?

Then there's the mention of the Bengals' commitment to the run in the first few paragraphs... :wacko:

/>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1994994-understanding-the-context-of-anthony-collins-success-for-the-cincinnati-bengals

On the one hand, it's quite possible that Collins was/is over-rated, and that he benefited from scheme and playcalling last season. On the other hand, the article only breaks down Collins' performance, so there's nothing to compare it to. For an article with "context" in the headline, there's none here. For example, I would bet that every LT gets some measure of help from scheme and playcalling. Did Collins get more? Less? About the same? Is his success rate better or worse than average?

Then there's the mention of the Bengals' commitment to the run in the first few paragraphs... :wacko:/>

"In spite of his reputation, Collins doesn't appear to be a quality starting left tackle." I just do not see how they can draw that conclusion, even with the cherry-picked plays they highlighted in the article. He was pretty good for us. What stops Tampa Bay from using him the same way we did, and getting the same results? I don't know what they want. Collins isn't Munoz or somebody like that, but he's a pretty good player.

"In spite of his reputation, Collins doesn't appear to be a quality starting left tackle." I just do not see how they can draw that conclusion, even with the cherry-picked plays they highlighted in the article. He was pretty good for us.

That was exactly my response, too. The evidence presented doesn't support the conclusion.

Then there's the mention of the Bengals' commitment to the run in the first few paragraphs... :wacko:/>

Once I saw it was bleacherreport, then you know it's trash. Next, will be links to the hottest fans in the Mountain West Conference.....

They are not legit in their coverage of sports....

I normally ignore BR as well but occasionally a good article pops up. I think there's the nugget of a good idea in this piece: how much of an offensive lineman's performance is about his play, and how much can be attributed to scheme and QB? But just looking at one player in isolation doesn't tell you much because there's no way to tell if his case is typical or not.

I agree with Josh, far too early to tell about Williams. That said, as he points out, the third round has been a graveyard.

Since Michael Johnson was selected in 2009, the Bengals have used third round selections to grab Jordan Shipley (out of the NFL), Brandon Ghee (constantly injured and now with another team), Dontay Moch (back after stint in Arizona), Mohamed Sanu and Brandon Thompson -- the latter two helping the team course-correct on their third-round picks... for now.

Go back further and you find such luminaries as Pat Sims (2008), Ahmad Brooks (2006s), Frostee Rucker (2006), Chris Henry (2005), Caleb Miller & Landon Johnson (2004) Kelly Washington (2003), Matt Schobel (2002) and Sean Gee-Oh-Dawg Brewer in 2001. If I were the Bengals I would trade that pick every year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No more old guys just looking to hang on for another paycheck!

Well, as I understand it he played every game last year and produced 7.5 sacks, so he can still go. That said, it's not clear to me if he would be much of an upgrade. I'd rather get a read on what we have with Hunt and Clarke.