Free Agency

combatbengal

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcv85?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=cincinnati-bengals

interesting little article on John Thornton's take (as Michael Johnson agent) .... seems dialogue is going on behind the scenes

A little tidbit from Prisco's combine wrap-up:

Most expect the Bengals to let defensive end Michael Johnson walk after giving Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins big deals last year. But I hear the Bengals will actually try to re-sign Johnson. They felt he played at a high level last season, even if his sack numbers were down. Johnson is good against the run. If he hits the market, he will see a lot of activity. He is 26, which means he has a lot of good football in front of him.

This isn't the first report of this. If I had to guess, my cynical side says it's coming from MJ's camp in an attempt to bid up his price tag in free agency. But the Bengals have been consistent in saying publicly that they would like MJ to come back. And with the cap jumping by $9 million in 2014 and, according to a report I saw a while ago on the impact of new TV money next year, by at least another $5 million in 2015, it's not financially impossible.

Still, it's hard to see. But if he doesn't get a big $$$ offer at the start of FA...

I still don't think he stays, because even though his salary isn't going to be 11.5 million like last year, it won't be cheap either.

They have bunch of players coming due in the next two seasons as well and I can't see them tying up that much cash along the line.

I could very well be wrong, but I still don't think there's much of a chance he stays unless some others are gotten rid up to free it up.

I also wouldn't be opposed to having him back either, just saying.

1. Eugene Monroe, OT, Ravens. Age: 27.

2. Jordan Gross, OT, Panthers. Age: 34

3. Jared Veldheer, OT, Raiders. Age: 27.

4. Branden Albert, OT, Chiefs. Age: 29.

5. Austin Howard, OT, Jets. Age: 27.

6. Rodger Saffold, OT/G, Rams. Age: 26.

7. Anthony Collins, OT, Bengals. Age: 28.

8. Michael Oher, OT, Ravens. Age: 28.

Gross retires.

Rumor mill has both the Cards and Fins interested in Albert.

Monroe has said he won't give Baltimore a hometown discount. Supposedly the Ravens want both him and Oher back. Howard and Saffold are reportedly coveted by their current teams, but Oakland doesn't seem in a hurry to pursue Veldheer.

I saw the same thing Hoosier and immediately thought of how the Bengals view that and what to offer up to Collins.

Obviously, we aren't talking about Collins as an All-Pro, so they have that working for them.

This was the write up on Whit's last deal:

Andrew Whitworth’s five-year extension with the Bengals that he signed in 2011 was worth $30.4 million ($6.08 average per year) with $5 million guaranteed. Not included though in the guaranteed money was a $2.5 million signing bonus earned the first year of the deal, so the unofficial guaranteed is more like $7.5 million.

This was the write up on Big Dre's last deal:

3-years, $18 million. Of that $18 million, $5 million is guaranteed ($2 million roster bonus, $3 million signing bonus).

The other day I saw an Enquirer piece by Reedy or Dehner, I don't recall which, speculating that AC could get $6-8 million a year and MJ would get $10 million/year or more. I think the realities of a tight cap and cheap rookies are going to push those numbers a lot lower. Also, it may mean that the notoriously frugal Bengals may be able to compete for a player or two that would have been priced way out of their reach back in the "old days."

I'm glad owners are starting realize you need more then 1-2 Star players so instead paying Megatron and Stafford 50% of your capspace you spread it among your team.

would love to sign D'Quell

Reportedly he had seven teams call him right after he got cut, and bidding wars have never been Mikey's style. That said, I have little interest for the same reason I'm not high on Shazier at 24: where is any new LB going to play? Burfict isn't coming off the field and the coaches have made it clear that Maulauga is their man in the middle, however fans may feel. Yeah, there is Harrison's SLB spot, but the Bengals play so much nickle and dime that the strong-side 'backer spends most of his time on the sidelines. Vontaze played 1,028 defensive snaps last season. First name Rey and last name Rey combined for 942. Harrison got 378, and a chunk of those were at DE.

With Lamur coming back and Vinny already not getting enough snaps, I think the LB corps is in pretty good shape and that the Bengals should spend their money and picks elsewhere. YMMV, of course.

would love to sign D'Quell

Reportedly he had seven teams call him right after he got cut, and bidding wars have never been Mikey's style. That said, I have little interest for the same reason I'm not high on Shazier at 24: where is any new LB going to play? Burfict isn't coming off the field and the coaches have made it clear that Maulauga is their man in the middle, however fans may feel. Yeah, there is Harrison's SLB spot, but the Bengals play so much nickle and dime that the strong-side 'backer spends most of his time on the sidelines. Vontaze played 1,028 defensive snaps last season. First name Rey and last name Rey combined for 942. Harrison got 378, and a chunk of those were at DE.

With Lamur coming back and Vinny already not getting enough snaps, I think the LB corps is in pretty good shape and that the Bengals should spend their money and picks elsewhere. YMMV, of course.

Agreed. As fun as it would be to take a marquee player away from a division rival, it seems like we would get more bang for our buck elsewhere.

I'm left to wonder, with the final increase to the cap, if the Bengals still approach AC the same way ??

With all of the increases made, they can certainly get it done, but wonder if their original thought of having him test the market, only to come crawling back for less is still the best way to handle things ?? I would rather see them be proactive with this particular one. Keeping Whit inside and providing that continuity seems like the better approach than to nickel and dime it while risking the loss.

I'm left to wonder, with the final increase to the cap, if the Bengals still approach AC the same way ??

With all of the increases made, they can certainly get it done, but wonder if their original thought of having him test the market, only to come crawling back for less is still the best way to handle things ?? I would rather see them be proactive with this particular one. Keeping Whit inside and providing that continuity seems like the better approach than to nickel and dime it while risking the loss.

Not to be obtuse/Hobsonian, but why is it that conventional wisdom seems to be that the Bengals' ability to sign these guys improves with the higher cap numbers? If the cap goes up for everyone, it proportionally favors teams with less space to begin with (ie, not the Bengals) and possibly creates more suitors for our players. Also, it would tend to inflate contracts, which we all know is a game Mikey is not going to play.

Just sayin' ... my expectations haven't really changed. We might sign one of the "big two", but I wouldn't be surprised if both walked.

Not to be obtuse/Hobsonian, but why is it that conventional wisdom seems to be that the Bengals' ability to sign these guys improves with the higher cap numbers?

Because they now have more money (10 million) than then did before ??

The point is that free agency hasn't begun, but the Bengals are now in a position to resign AC before free agency kicks off.

If the thought was that they didn't have the money and were hoping to have the same thing happen like it did with Big Dre, they can reconsider.

Other teams ability to sign AC only come into play if the Bengals aren't proactive.

The number on AC isn't going to increase due to the cap and the ceiling has already been set with the Peters deal in Philly.

AC isn't getting that number from ANY team in the league.

World is that Jason Campbell will be let go (or allowed to walk away) by Cleveland

He was pretty darned effective under Hue Jackson with the Raiders prior to the injury that resulted in the best trade in the history of the Bengals

I think he'd come fairly cheap and would be a pretty good "bad andy" veteran relief pitcher, not to mention he already has a functional grasp of the defenses of the AFCN

1. Greg Hardy, DE, Panthers. Age: 26.

2. Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Redskins. Age: 28.

3. Michael Bennett, DE, Seahawks. Age: 28.

4. Lamarr Houston, DE, Raiders. Age: 27.

5. Jared Allen, DE, Vikings. Age: 32.

6. Michael Johnson, DE, Bengals. Age: 27.

7. Justin Tuck, DE, Giants. Age: 31.

The Panthers will reportedly tag Hardy, so that helps MJ's value. OTOH, the Dolphins are reportedly trying to trade DE Dion Jordan, their first round (No. 3 overall) pick last year. As COB might say, the Dolphins are a dumpster fire.

Orakpo and Houston may also get tagged. Bennett is almost certain to hit the market, as are Tuck and Allen. But the bottom line is the DE market is tightening, which will drive up MJ's price tag. Oh well, keeping him was mostly a pipe dream anyhow.

Bad news, Army: Skunk hair thinks that Alex Mack will get $8 million/year minimum in FA due to all the $$$ that teams have to spend to meet the new CBA's mandates. No way in hell Mike Brown pays that kind of money for a center.

Eight days left to FA. So Bengals, going to get any of your own done?

Bad news indeed, but then again, I never thought there was a snow balls chance of him coming here to begin with.

In response to our own, it really will have a HUGE impact on what the draft is going to look like.

I think that's what makes doing a mock draft at this point very difficult.

They are just for fun, but still.