Like Clockwork

HoosierCat

A worthwhile note from King's MMQB column today re: the cap & 2014 spending:

The heightened activity (at the combine) this year is also because the meter is running on the salary cap in every NFL front office. There was a provision in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement that most in the public have forgotten but that’s soon going to come into significant play. In the four cap years 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, each NFL team must spend a minimum of 89 percent of its cap money. And the league must spend a collective minimum of 95 percent of its cap money. That was put in to stop teams from hoarding money and not spending it. Oakland, for instance, has a substantial amount of cap money available—about $70 million—and the Raiders will be almost forced to spend a large amount of it or deal with onerous league sanctions at the end of the four-year period, in 2017.

There’s an estimated $470 million in cap money available to teams to spend this contract season, and GMs know they can’t hoard that money for long.

I know that has always been a sore spot for Bengals fans and you will hear, "Well NOW you don't have a choice Mike Brown" from them.

Thing is, Mike Brown has consistently been spending and the money he has pushed forward has been for good reason.

Geno got taken care of, Big Dre, Dunlap and there is still money to get more taken care of.

I simply don't think this is an issue for the Bengals really.

It's time to give them credit for not putting the team in financial constraints the way the Steelers have.

It's time to give them credit for not putting the team in financial constraints the way the Steelers have.

Well said :sure:/>

I think they have done a great job of managing the cap and keeping key players over the last few years. I would say letting JJoe walk was the last real mistake on their part. Since then they have ponied up to keep key guys and built up a reserve to sign up-and-coming talent.

But now the rubber is hitting the road. One reason they've been able to do so well the last few years is that they haven't had many big contracts to manage. Up until last year Leon Hall was the only one making big coin. Now Atkins and Dunlap have been added to that list, and they had to give mid-tier money to Moobs. It looks like those deals will cost us MJ, which was expected. Looming on the horizon are Dalton, Green and Gresham -- and our star LT isn't getting any younger, either.

It's a good challenge to have, but a challenge nonetheless. The next couple years will tell us how good Katie really is.

The thing is, they have wiggle room with both Dalton and Green as neither HAVE to be done right at the moment and, as been discussed here, the tag could certainly come into play on a guy like Green. Gresham is really a non-factor for me, as I don't think he needs to be signed to anything resembling a big deal. He's inconsistent at best, with the ability to really take over, but hardly ever does. Whit's situation should be interesting to watch. If they keep Collins and move him inside, they have reason to extend his contract at his age. If they have no desire to move him from LT and Collins walks, expect a LT early in this draft or the next.

Good point about seeing how Katie makes this happen...

My oh my. Geoff is in deep, deep trouble. According to the most recent report, the cap will actually be "a few million" MORE than $132 million. So we could be talking something like $135 million, up $12 million from last year.

And here's the kicker:

The source says that, from this year forward, similar annual increases in the cap are expected.

Hobson is going to have to invent some whole new categories to soak up the money so we stay hard against the cap. Some possibilities:

1. Cheerleaders are about to get a lot more expensive.

2. New HD scoreboard fund.

3. Those bengals.com redesigns ain't cheap, y'know.

4. Install AA guns at PBS to shoot down any negative banner-towing planes.

5. Finally giving in and putting free soda in locker room (but just 1 per player per day!).

6. 10-year, $100 million extension for Marvin Lewis.

7. Open new downtown attraction: Chevy Lumina Hall of Fame.

Schefty:

@AdamSchefter Salary cap projected to rise to about $133 million this yr, expected to break $140m next year and $150m by 2016, per source

If true that is huge for Cincy in terms of keeping the core guys. And with that much cap space coming on-line, suddenly the talk about trying to retain MJ doesn't sound quite as crazy.

I agree and bet they make a run at MJ now.

I think Collins might end up elsewhere, probably Miami, as they look to rebuild their line and have a shit ton of cap space to work with.

As for Bengals making cap space, I see Hall and Peko as possible casualties. Hall is $5M in cap savings and Peko is about $4M. Those alone make space for bringing in an elite CB like Verner or Shields.

Hall is the more likely, considering his health status. Peko is iconic as a core part of the D but you never know.

Here are some FA guys I'd like the Benglas to take a look at:

LeGarrette Blount - a monster in the right situation. Could be dangerous as the hammer offsetting Gio.

Alteraun Verner - a very good corner who could instantly pick up Hall's job.

Sam Shields - Could be a perfect fill-in if Newman or Jones end up getting cut.

Josh Freeman - don't laugh. He is still young and will not be with the Vikings. Can't be any worse than Josh Johnson, in fact could be better than Dalton in the right scheme.

Schefty:

@AdamSchefter Salary cap projected to rise to about $133 million this yr, expected to break $140m next year and $150m by 2016, per source

If true that is huge for Cincy in terms of keeping the core guys. And with that much cap space coming on-line, suddenly the talk about trying to retain MJ doesn't sound quite as crazy.

And then there's that. I can certainly see that being a greater possibility now.

Wow, the money.

That's my Hobsonizer!

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-talking-to-their-own-as-cap-set/1857158f-6378-4c81-b445-5baf271b8503

Need to set aside $15 million for draft picks, RFA tags and injuries, leaving $12 million but we have to extend Peko so...

No, seriously. Peko.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the other day I wrote:

BIG NEWZ!!!!

Mike Pollack signed.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-exerting-homegrown-policy/bbe5b45c-26a1-4e00-8045-b088354d8fa4

That's it folks, we're done, cap space zero, see you in September!

And cue...

Along with Johnson and Collins, they also have interest in re-signing their own backups, such as wide receiver Brandon Tate, safety Taylor Mays, and cornerback Brandon Ghee. The Bengals are also reserving about $15 million this year under the cap for injured players (about $5 million) and draft picks (about $5 million) and tenders to restricted free agents count $4.2 million. After that is where the $8 million or so comes in.

That secondary free-agent market has been good to them lately. That’s how they picked off their leading rusher for the past two seasons when they got running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis in 2012 and starting SAM backer James Harrison in 2013.

Yup, we only got 8 bills left and we have to save that to sign players like Leadfoot Benny and a LB who plays about a fourth of all defensive snaps. How Hobs does it I don't know...but dont stop, Geoff! Don't ever stop!

Hobson carries the water more tirelessly on this than the magical broomsticks in Fantasia.

:lmao: Nice.

Army, I hadn't even thought of that point. Yeah, if it weren't for the big jump in the cap I'm sure we'd be reading about how they had no choice but to cut Carlos Dunlap in order to sign their seventh round pick...

Army, I hadn't even thought of that point. Yeah, if it weren't for the big jump in the cap I'm sure we'd be reading about how they had no choice but to cut Carlos Dunlap in order to sign their seventh round pick...

I think it's a fair question.

Prior to finding out there was going to be the HUGE bump in the cap, it was thought to jump about 4 million if I remember correctly.

When that was the line of thought, the talk was about how they would be lucky to have 7 million or so to spend.

Now the cap makes a huge jump and they only gain another million ??

At some point in time, he has to realize how stupid that sounds.

Things don't change that drastically when no business is happening that all of a sudden an additional 6-7 million just disappears.