KingWilly - Mock 2014

kingwilly

Looked but did not see the full picks the Bengals have as yet. So, here are the first 3 (r1-24, r2-55, r3-88)

r1-24 - Justin Gilbert - CB - Oklahoma State University

Really like this guy, has all the tools and is versatile (CB/FS/KR). Some might think he does not have "long" speed, however it is more his short-area quickness that I might worry about. His long stride makes me confident in his long speed. He is not really a "man" corner, in the mold of Revis (or on our team Pacman). He is more like Richard Sherman (size speed and skill-wise). I see him as the best possible insurance in case Hall simply does not have it any more, which is certainly possible given his two achilles injuries, or if Newman proves vulnerable (age).

He can play some safety (kind of like Crocker) and can also return kicks (buh-bye Tate).

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1785829/justin-gilbert

r2 - 55 - Jarvis Landry - WR - LSU

In the mold of a Steve Smith, he brings speed and strength to the WR group. I think bringing in another talented young guy can't hurt the WR spot. I feel he'd be an upgrade to the Whalen, Tate and Sanzenbackups of the world. Plus, we all recall the hole left when Baby Hawk was down.

"He proved to arguably be the nation’s top wide receiver on third down, ranking No. 1 nationally with 453 yards, six touchdowns, 15 catches of 15-plus yards and six catches of 25-plus yards on third down this season. - LSU football" ...not a bad thing to have on board.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824833/jarvis-landry

r3 - 88 - Christian Jones - OLB - Florida State

OLB/Cover backer who can run with TE's and drop into coverage. Was again a weak spot for Bengals, with Mays needing to become a hybrid due to Lamur injury. Has height and speed, something that can't be said for Maualuga. The LB depth cold be a strong point with Lamur, Joiner and Porter coming back from injury, and with Taze, Rey, Vinny and Harrison in the fold, also Dimanche also played well on ST, so he's in the mix. On the other hand, those injuries point to need for real depth and Jones would be that or more.

"Tremendous athlete with has fluid footwork who flawlessly flips his hips to blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage. Tall and long, which he uses well in coverage. Plays with excellent range and speed to chase down the action, taking proper angles in pursuit. Flashes the take-on strength to blow past blockers when he uses proper technique. - CBS Draft profile"

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737228/christian-jones

If Gilbert is there at #24, there should be little to no thought about it.

I'm still not sold that either of the top 2 CB's will still be around.

I'm hoping though.

WR leaves me guessing a bit. If they feel they need to address it that early, there is a guy I like a lot.

Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State. 6'5, 235 ?? Yes, please.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they will stick with what they have and hope Cobi Hamilton comes on in 2014.

Howvever, if the desire is to take one early, why not go full stupid ??

If Collins leaves, OT is a top three selection in my opinion as well.

I wouldn't complain about the others you had listed.

If Gilbert is there at #24, there should be little to no thought about it.

I'm still not sold that either of the top 2 CB's will still be around.

I'm hoping though.

WR leaves me guessing a bit. If they feel they need to address it that early, there is a guy I like a lot.

Kelvin Benjamin from Florida State. 6'5, 235 ?? Yes, please.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they will stick with what they have and hope Cobi Hamilton comes on in 2014.

Howvever, if the desire is to take one early, why not go full stupid ??

If Collins leaves, OT is a top three selection in my opinion as well.

I wouldn't complain about the others you had listed.

I don't see an OT at or near 24 that is a rookie who can handle protecting Dalton's backside. If they let Collins walk, Whit stays at LT and maybe an OG in the first two days, and look for a Vet LT who is solid (there will be several out there). Even if Collins leaves, if Gilbert is there at 24th, I hope that pick is turned in no more than 3 seconds. He's a rookie of the year type player.

I'm with you at WR. I don't think Benjamin will be a playmaker, like some of the other large frame guys (Andre or Calvin Johsnon) but he certainly would be imposing and would present just another difficult matchup for defenses.

I want a wr-free draft

just once

given current rules and prominence of passing in the NFL, as well as the relative junk under the three of AJ, Jones, Sanu and Hawk, selecting another good WR prospect is a necessity, IMHO. If they had a guy like Landy or Benjamin, they could lighten the load at WR (remove Tate, Whalen and Sanzenbackup) and only carry 5. With Gresham, Eifert, and Gio, don't need more options. It would simply be wasted spots on the 53.

I'd prefer to go light at WR (quality over quantity), and go heavier on DL or DB. They carried 7 WR most of last year, except when Hawk was on temp-IR. If they went 5, they could add one extra DL, and one extra DB. I think that makes more sense.

• 1 month later...

Updated to factor rise of Gilbert. He will go in top 12, maybe top 5....

I think my previous 3 picks above will not be anywhere near those sopts now. So, a do-over....

Bengals 2014 Draft Class

r1 - Kyle Fuller - CB Virginia Tech

r2 - Chris Borland - ILB Wisconsin

r3 - Travis Swanson - C Arkansas

r4 - DaQuan Jones - DT Penn State

r5 - Joe Halapio - G/T Florida

r6 - Taj Boyd - QB Clemson - dropping fast.

r7 - Ty Zimmerman - S Kansas State