2014 Bengals Draft Big Board

So, as to not muck up the thread in the main forum, I have a draft question to ask.

IF the Bengals were to go all in with a new QB taken in the first round, possibly moving up to make it happen:

Which QB would you like to see them take ??

I don't really care for the first round rated QB's in this draft much at all.

I would still be on board for a guy like Mettenberger should he fall to the 4th, but i'm not counting on that.

Yup it's not a strong QB class, at least if you're looking for a starter this season. After Bridgewater and Johnny Football, everyone needs work and/or recovery time. I don't want any part of the circus around Manziel, so that leaves Teddy. And there's no way he falls out of the top 10.

Yup it's not a strong QB class, at least if you're looking for a starter this season. After Bridgewater and Johnny Football, everyone needs work and/or recovery time. I don't want any part of the circus around Manziel, so that leaves Teddy. And there's no way he falls out of the top 10.

Which is exactly why I don't get all the talk about replacing Dalton.

Even if they wanted to replace him, how would they do it ??

Kick to the curb, the QB that has taken them to the playoffs his first 3 seasons.

Give up a buttload of picks to move up high enough to take another rookie QB to start the season.

Hope said rookie QB doesn't bust.

Not exactly the plan for success in my book regardless of how Dalton is viewed.

I am coming around to the idea of drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2 if one that Marvin and Hue really like falls to their spot

Although there is a lot I like about Dalton, I would not mind at all having a strong second option to go to if after a couple of series it is evident that "Bad Andy" is on the field.....and I dont think JJ is a strong second option

After hashing out in my mind a few times, and fully realizing we are desperate for youth at corner, I dont think any corner in this draft could impact this team's 2014 fortunes than a really good backup quarterback could - one who could develop behind Andy but also get some game experience in relief of Bad Andy

Mettenberger in the 5th or 6th was originally appealing to me, but I'd rather have that "relief pitcher" this year and it isnt clear he'll be healthy enough to go this year. That said, if they dont pick a QB early, I'd still be ok with this, just somewhat less happy

I think the usual BPA strategy is sound and should be followed, but a little extra weight should be given to both corner and quarterback at the top of the draft

I do still want a Center, too :-)

QB, C, CB in first three picks, probably in that order

Well, you have to think that Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel are all LONG gone before the Bengals pick at #24.

With that being the case, there is no one left worthy of a first round pick at QB and even the top 3 are left with questions.

Whoever is left from that point can't possibly be viewed as a better option than Dalton. It's almost laughable to think so.

CB ?? Yeah, both Dennard and Gilbert would push for playing time right away and depending on Hall, even moreso.

I would prefer Dennard if given my choice, but either would do for me.

I would love to see a Center in there as well, but not sure they would pull the trigger on that pick early on.

Collins really is the key piece to what they do in the draft.

Lose him and they are taking OT in the first 2 picks and maybe the first round.

Keep him and it opens things up a bit.

If they keep Collins and both of my top CB's are gone before #24, I would love to see one of the top two safeties fall.

That is a pick that would warm my heart.

I don't see a first round QB. Not only will Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel all go before 24, so will a couple more just because teams are so needy at the position. But that should put a few guys out in FA after the draft and I can see them upgrading the number two spot.

Right now I don't think the odds of Dennard or Gilbert last to 24 are any better than 50/50. I am pretty much resigned to the idea of an OT at 24. If they keep AC, then a DE, with an outside possibility of LB or, gawd help us, WR.

Lose Collins and they put Boling back to Guard and Whitworth back to LT and they continue to develop Hawkenson and whatever mid to late round prospect they draft. Unless someone like Lewan falls to them they will not (IMHO) draft a LT in the first two rounds. the Bengals are not taking chances recently with draft picks, they are taking sure things (or as close to it as you can get in the NFL Draft) in the first. They are not moving around they are simply waiting and taking the safest guy available.

Not saying it is likely, but similar falls have happened.....Aaron Rogers fell quite a bit, as did Sapp, etc etc

My primary point was that I think QB should (unless they pick up a good backup in FA) be just as high of a priority as CB (and C, and arguably S) in this draft

I understand that it is more likely that a strong CB will be available at 24 than a strong QB. But if both are available, I'd actually opt for the QB at 24, for the reasons stated earlier

Lose Collins and they put Boling back to Guard and Whitworth back to LT and they continue to develop Hawkenson and whatever mid to late round prospect they draft. Unless someone like Lewan falls to them they will not (IMHO) draft a LT in the first two rounds. the Bengals are not taking chances recently with draft picks, they are taking sure things (or as close to it as you can get in the NFL Draft) in the first. They are not moving around they are simply waiting and taking the safest guy available.

One, Boling is unlikely to be ready in September, and two, it really doesn't get much safer than OL.

Not in a draft where the best talent at the position is likely long gone before they select. There is simply not a guy in this draft ranked between 20-70 (Kouandjio, Matthews, Lewan, Robinson, and Martin are all likely gone by the time the Bengals pick) that I would feel is a safe selection (even Zack Martin, who is the one guy likely to drop to the Bengals place in the first, is a pretty good sized gamble based upon what I saw on tape). One guy I do like though is Morgan Moses from Virginia he is someone worth watching as the draft gets closer.

As always, it depends on how the draft falls, but I think the OTs will last longer than you think. It's a pretty good OT FA class, so some potential takers will solve their needs there, and I expect a run on QBs to push guys down as well. When I see an OT mocked to them in the first it's usually Kouandjio.

And on that subject, sitting here waiting for a meeting to start so I ran through some mocks just to see if there was any pre-combine consensus. The answer is a firm no. Out of 21 mocks I got 15 names. The only guys with more than one vote were DLs Stephon Truitt (3) and Louis Dix (2), and CBs Gilbert and Dennard (2 each). The most interesting name that appeared (once) was WR/RB/OW De'Anthony Thomas but I have no idea how he would fit in.

Hey, I could be wrong. But just as an example, Walter has both Kouandjio and Richardson still on the board at 24. He mocks Dennard to us and I think that's right, if he's there he's the pick. But I'd be surprised if Darqueze lasts that long.

OTOH ourlads' first mock appears to be a lot more like what wraith expects to happen with tackles. They have us reaching for Kyle Fuller, who from what I've seen carries a second-round grade.

I don't see a first round QB. Not only will Bridgewater, Bortles and Manziel all go before 24, so will a couple more

Bridgewater won't be gone after NFL scouts discover he smokes pot every day, is gay, had an online relationship with "Sharon" who turned out to be a male prison guard in Ogden, Utah, and was valedictorian of his class at the "Ritchie Incognito Charm School For NFL Players."

And those scouts will find it all out, just as soon as I report it on my blog.

/Cackles wildly, screams "Bridgewater is ours!", falls off kitchen stool and sprains wrist/

I simply can't see making the priority a player that sits the bench with our first round pick and that is what a QB pick at #24 does.

Giving up the world to move up and take any other QB that is questionable at best isn't the best way to do things either.

QB in the 4th or 5th at the earliest. That is if they don't find a vet QB to come in as the #2 like I hope happens.

Yeah, both Dennard and Gilbert could be gone before #24 and I mentioned that in one of the mock draft threads I think.

If one of the two are there, CB will be the pick. Write it down.

Again, you have to look at not only is going on THIS year, but at least another year or two down the road.

That is exactly what they did when drafting in 2013 and I have no reason to think that will change.

Even if Collins sticks around, Fragel is no longer on the roster and just about every o-lineman on the roster is up in the next two seasons.

It is exactly why I keep saying they take at least two o-linemen in this draft.

I know people are happy with Nelson and Iloka right now, but both will be coming due in a couple seasons as well.

Safety could easily be addressed.

The "God help us moment" in regards to the WR spot ??

Yep, both Sanu and Jones are up in a couple of seasons and they haven't made a move with AJ. Not that I see one coming either.

I understand the reluctance to use a r1 pick on a backup

But let's walk back on memory lane to any of the games where Bad Andy showed up, and our defense kept us in the game. Had their been option 1a to go to - and JJ isn't that guy - could we not have yanked Bad Andy and potentially gotten a spark from a Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziell type?

Enough of a spark that, in combination with our defense, we might actually have pulled out such a game?

I think that when you have a streaky QB - and there is a smiling picture of the Gingah Ninjah atop that entry in the NFL Dictionary - you need a strong option 1a to back him up

Add to this the fact that Andy's contract is coming up and he might not choose to remain here - and I can no more see tagging him as a franchise player than I can Brandon Tate

I understand the reluctance to use a r1 pick on a backup

But let's walk back on memory lane to any of the games where Bad Andy showed up, and our defense kept us in the game. Had their been option 1a to go to - and JJ isn't that guy - could we not have yanked Bad Andy and potentially gotten a spark from a Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziell type?

Enough of a spark that, in combination with our defense, we might actually have pulled out such a game?

I think that when you have a streaky QB - and there is a smiling picture of the Gingah Ninjah atop that entry in the NFL Dictionary - you need a strong option 1a to back him up

Add to this the fact that Andy's contract is coming up and he might not choose to remain here - and I can no more see tagging him as a franchise player than I can Brandon Tate

Gotten a spark ?? I think that's hard to say from a rookie QB. I know there has been a trend lately to start rookie QB's from day one, but lets not pretend they are all successful in that endeavor. There are far more Christian Ponder's than Russell Wilson's in the league.

I actually LOVE the strong 1a option to back up Dalton and don't believe JJ is that guy either. I simply don't think a rookie QB is either.

I MUCH prefer to wait to see if there is a vet QB that gets the axe after teams draft what they think is the next coming of Peyton Manning.

Contract coming due ?? Sure, I get that as well, but with how poor of a QB draft class this is, i'm good with waiting.

I mean it's not like Dalton is going anywhere in 2014 and again, I would just rather see them get some use from their first rounder.

I find myself more in the "gimme a lineman" camp this year than most in the past.

There is certainly an argument to be made that the 1st rounder could be used if Collins isn't brought back.

Anyway around, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out with free agency.

Don't get me wrong, I still love keeping the lines strong, but the only piece of the puzzle I really want this year (and have asked for for years) is a C

I have doubts that there will be an affordable but strong 1a veteran option out there in FA, so I'd just as soon take a chance on a rookie

There are five additional benefits from using a talented rookie in the "relief pitcher" role

1) The opponent wont have much film to study to plan against the rookie

2) The rookie getting the snaps following bad Andy will not be in a pressure situation - Bad Andy will already have "lost" the game, so the rookie will be in a "just do what you can" mode

3) The rookie will be getting meaningful snaps that will help him develop

4) The rookie will cost quite a bit less than any veteran we'd sign

5) What if the rookie turns out to be the next Russell Wilson? Or the next Tom Brady? You never know until you give a guy some real snaps in a real game

Then again, they might feel like they have that already with McElroy sitting on the practice squad.

They got him after he was released for injury by the Jets and they wanted him back.

6'2, 225 and did nothing but win at Alabama. He has the look of a solid backup QB.

Then again, they might indeed take someone like Mettenberger or Murray.

Like I said, it will be interesting to watch.

Coley Harvey looks at some potential o-line picks.

Morgan Moses (OT), Virginia: Moses mainly makes this list because of the way he wowed me after I watched him from afar the week of the Senior Bowl. He seemed to demonstrate mostly sound technique and proved he can pass protect about as well as he can run block. He was noted before the Senior Bowl as a good run blocker. While he should be available when Cincinnati makes its first-round pick at No. 24, it's doubtful that Moses will be available in some of the later rounds; times the Bengals might desire to draft an offensive lineman. Still, the 6-foot-6, 325-pounder is one to watch.

Brandon Thomas (OT), Clemson: A likely mid-rounder, one of the characteristics about Thomas that could make him an intriguing draft pick is his versatility. Although he started all of Clemson's games at left tackle last season, he also spent time playing guard, like Bengals Pro Bowler Andrew Whitworth. Thomas' shorter size -- he's 6-foot-3, 316 pounds -- might make him better suited for guard. In the event the Bengals don't bring back right guard Mike Pollak in free agency, they would need another guard to pair with Kevin Zeitler, Clint Boling and Whitworth. It's likely the Bengals will try to bring back the unrestricted free agent Pollak, though.

Anthony Steen (OG), Alabama: The Bengals' love affair with players from the SEC has been well-documented. As one of the top guards in the college conference in 2013, he was one of the key pieces to the Crimson Tide's balanced offensive attack. He won't get as much attention as some of his Alabama teammates, but Steen should be available in the middle rounds. The Bengals have selected at least one offensive lineman from the SEC in three of the last five drafts. Steen's shorter size -- 6-foot, 310 pounds -- could make him a candidate for playing center, too. If Pollak leaves, the Bengals would lose a player who can play both guard and center. By drafting Steen, they might be able to make up for the versatility that would be lost with Pollak's departure.

Don't get me wrong, I still love keeping the lines strong, but the only piece of the puzzle I really want this year (and have asked for for years) is a C

I have doubts that there will be an affordable but strong 1a veteran option out there in FA, so I'd just as soon take a chance on a rookie

There are five additional benefits from using a talented rookie in the "relief pitcher" role

1) The opponent wont have much film to study to plan against the rookie

2) The rookie getting the snaps following bad Andy will not be in a pressure situation - Bad Andy will already have "lost" the game, so the rookie will be in a "just do what you can" mode

3) The rookie will be getting meaningful snaps that will help him develop

4) The rookie will cost quite a bit less than any veteran we'd sign

5) What if the rookie turns out to be the next Russell Wilson? Or the next Tom Brady? You never know until you give a guy some real snaps in a real game

I agree about your view on C.

As for a "relief pitcher" QB, this is something I'd really like to see. Maybe it is a rookie, or maybe it's a guy like Michael Vick. If it is a rookie, I agree with your points 1-5. There has to be the potential for the guy to transition into the starting role, should Dalton simply not progress. I'm not sure who in this draft could be that guy but there has to be a couple of guys who fit the bill. I'm not concerned with current draft ranking or status, because for every Ponder and Gabbert, there is a Wilson maybe buried in a later round.

To me, it is almost more about Hue and the rest of the offense, than the guy they pick. Not to say he could be anybody but if I look at guys who've come into the league who I estimate could have done as well or better than Andy here (hypothetically) the list is long. TJ Yates, Cousins, Chase Daniel, Keenum, heck, even Rusty Smith.... I might be overstating this to make a point but I think there are quite a few decently talented NFL level guys who could duplicate what Dalton has done.... call me crazy. Point being, find a guy with the upside/ceiling of an elite QB and let Hue and the offense get him there while Dalton gets his final crack at it.

maybe its one of these guys: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/117103/inside-slant-shopping-for-cheap-qbs

For every Ponder and Gabbert, there is a Wilson maybe buried in a later round.

I agree that someone needs to be added and think that it could be through the draft as well.

I'm just not in the mindset that it should be in the first few rounds.

My reasons are for exactly what you stated above King.

There are players that may fit what your offense is doing that can be had beyond the 3rd round.

For every Wilson, there are tons like Ponder, Gabbert, Sanchez, and Freeman from the 1st round who don't do much.

What has Stafford done ?? EJ Manuel last year was suppose to make it happen in Buffalo as a rookie.

I just don't see doing what would need to be done to get a guy early.

Then there's hoping he doesn't bust out.

I can literally think of a handful of positions I would rather take in the first (that are possible) than making a move to get a QB.

If Dalton still can't do anything in 2014, then make that move in the 2015 draft. That is a MUCH stronger QB draft than this one.

The difference between the rookie "relief pitcher" and 2013 EJ Manuel (as an example) is that the "relief pitcher" would be under no pressure to win the game, given that Bad Andy has essentially "lost" the game for us at the point when BA exits and RP enters

I think a young qb without the mandate to win but rather to simply execute the offense would be under FAR less pressure than Manuel was last year

Losing would be no shame, and a win would be a very pleasant surprise

and win or no win, he'd be developing and getting meaningful reps

I get you there TJ.

I went back and took another long look at top 15 QB's in this draft.

I hate almost all of them for one reason or another.

In regards to Mettenberger, I could only hope the past two seasons are what to expect from him.

If it's the one prior to that, sexual battery and recreational drug use isn't the sign of a winning pick in the draft.

Aaron Murray ?? Everything I've read said he reminds the analysts writing profiles of Andy Dalton but shorter.

So a shorter Andy Dalton that is coming off an ACL surgery and has a big concern of passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Anything better than that would be a pick in the top 3 rounds and i'm just not on board with that.

I can see the top 4 rated QB's going in the first round regardless of them actually belonging there.