2014 Bengals Draft Big Board

So I had time at lunch today and plowed through about 40 mocks around the innertubes to see what the early read on Cincy's first round selection is. What I found will highly disappoint TJ, as no one, and I mean no one, is giving them a lineman in the first. Right now, conventional wisdom is bearing heavily toward defense, and in particular a CB or LB. The top choices were:

Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State 7

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State 5

Jason Verrett CB, TCU 4

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon State 4

Getting two selections each were:

AJ Johnson, ILB, Tennessee

Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

Stephon Tuitt, DL Notre Dame

Then there were a smattering of guys getting one vote:

LaMarcus Joyner, CB/S, Florida State

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

Vic Beasley OLB, Clemson

CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama

Scott Chricton, DE/OLB, Oregon State

Kyle Van Noy, LB, Brigham Young

Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State

Davante Adams WR Fresno State

De’Anthony Thomas, WR/RB, Oregon

So I had time at lunch today and plowed through about 40 mocks around the innertubes to see what the early read on Cincy's first round selection is. What I found will highly disappoint TJ, as no one, and I mean no one, is giving them a lineman in the first. Right now, conventional wisdom is bearing heavily toward defense, and in particular a CB or LB. The top choices were:

Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State 7

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State 5

Jason Verrett CB, TCU 4

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon State 4

Getting two selections each were:

AJ Johnson, ILB, Tennessee

Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

Stephon Tuitt, DL Notre Dame

Then there were a smattering of guys getting one vote:

LaMarcus Joyner, CB/S, Florida State

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

Vic Beasley OLB, Clemson

CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama

Scott Chricton, DE/OLB, Oregon State

Kyle Van Noy, LB, Brigham Young

Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State

Davante Adams WR Fresno State

De’Anthony Thomas, WR/RB, Oregon

It seems likely that there may be a pretty good CB or two around the 24th pick, depending on when the run on them begins. Obviously we have a need there, so picking one up in Rd 1 suits me fine. There also seem to be some pretty good DEs at around that spot (guys from Stanford, Utah and Missouri) so those would also be fine choices.

My gut says one of the popular top ten QBs will slide Aaron Rodgers-style into the 20's. I know it's not gonna happen, but a 1st round pick of Blake Bortles would suit me fine.

The thing is, according to all I've read, this year's QB class isn't considered anything special. Even Bridgewater is seen as a good but not great prospect (in the mold of Luck/Cam/RG3).

I don't see the Bengals taking a QB, unless it's a developmental mid-round type. I think Dalton and Hue get their season, and if they don't like what they get from Andy, then 2015 will be the year they go back to the QB well.

I don't think the Bengals will pass on the chance to draft a QB if he's close to their highest-rated guy on the board at the time

As streaky as Dalton is, you need a good alternative to put in there when you find out after a series or two that "Bad Andy" has come to play that day

I don't think Josh Johnson is that guy

The guy who interests me right now is the LSU quarterback, who I think will drop some due to his injury.

The Hair has spoken. Mel has the Bengals taking Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State. Per Coley, Kiper has Dennard being just the second CB off the board. He has Gilbert going to the Lions at 10.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/5025/bengals-nfl-draft-darqueze-dennard-mel-kiper-mock

The QB who slips interests me quite a bit. I think they will get someone to push Andy.

Regarding Johnson, when I saw the write up of his cap number, my jaw dropped (its like 9.5M), which indicates they wont cut him and take the cap hit of about 6M. So, I don't see Josh in DC this year. He will be holding a clipboard and collecting a massive weekly check.

As for r1, I think a CB makes the most sense. Age and injuries makes that group a huge question. Those who will be at 24 will give us options to choose among a few really nice prospects.

I don't see the huge need at LB. There are several strong prospects but with Porter, Lamur and Joiner coming back, that group is very solid (Taze, Vinny, Rey, Harrison, etc), not a pressing need unless a can't miss is there at 24.

In several ways, this pick is can go a few ways. I'd even think a WR or RB *could* be taken. Though it also would make sense to take a top LT guy, too.

What they do with Michael Johnson will dictate if DE is a pressing need this draft. Plenty of good DT's in FA. No need to draft one.

The Hair has spoken. Mel has the Bengals taking Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State. Per Coley, Kiper has Dennard being just the second CB off the board. He has Gilbert going to the Lions at 10.

http://espn.go.com/b...-mel-kiper-mock

I'd be fine with that.

Yes, that would be a good pick.

Regarding Johnson, when I saw the write up of his cap number, my jaw dropped (its like 9.5M), which indicates they wont cut him and take the cap hit of about 6M. So, I don't see Josh in DC this year. He will be holding a clipboard and collecting a massive weekly check.

Are you sure that wasn't a story about the Padres pitcher of the same name? JJ is in year two of a $1.9 million deal.

Are you sure that wasn't a story about the Padres pitcher of the same name? JJ is in year two of a $1.9 million deal.

I read it in the ESPN writer's blog on Bengals QB situation: http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/5136/bengals-andy-dalton-quarterbacks-position-outlook

Its possible the guy got it confused or wrong, sure. It is an impossibly high number. <scratches head>

If its not accurate, drafting a QB takes on a different light.

EDIT:

Just checked link and te number is corrected:

"The money (2014 salary-cap numbers): Dalton ($1.7 million), Johnson ($955,000), Robinson ($570,000). "

I stand corrected, and so does ESPN.

EDIT 2: here is this...

/>http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Josh%20Johnson&Position=QB&Team=Bengals

Reedy throws out Aaron Murray's name:

http://news.cincinna...Bengal-stripes-

Yeah, it's been thrown around a lot. Honestly, I would LOVE this pick.

And, for the record, I'm completely on board with Andy. It'd just be nice to feel good about our backup QB spot for once.

Not only that but Murray would get to sit and be tutored for at least one year!

Yeah Mettenburger is another name I've seen batted around in the "injured QB Cincy might grab as insurance" category. Again, makes sense from several angles. For one, it's a strategy successful teams like GB and NE have followed: even if you have a starting QB, picking up a mid-round prospect is good planning and even if he doesn't end up starting he could be good trade bait later on. It also satisfies the fans who want to see a little pressure put on Dalton without creating the kind of QB controversy that sank the team so routinely in the Lost Decade. And finally since the guy isn't likely to be ready to play in the fall you can use the PUP and IR rules to keep him around and let him learn without using a roster spot.