A little Hue insight

walzav29

Yes the H back spot would be open and hopefully that spot reverts to a traditional fullback position. That spot was wasted other than for blocking purposes when all four TEs were in at the same time.

McFadden and his agent probably would be looking for starter money for sure. I mentioned him because of the connection to Hue and my desire to add a third back to share carries with BJGE and Gio. Probly won't happen but I like how SD and NE have utilized three backs thru the year. Maybe Burkhead can be that guy next year if they revamp the offense in that direction.

Yeah, I'd like to see Burkhead utilized as well. He seems to be a middle ground between Gio and BJGE. Imagine though, if we had a little speed back like a Woodhead or a fireplug like Sproles that we could rotate in at RB and use to return kicks as well. Draft maybe?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the H back spot would be open and hopefully that spot reverts to a traditional fullback position. That spot was wasted other than for blocking purposes when all four TEs were in at the same time.

McFadden and his agent probably would be looking for starter money for sure. I mentioned him because of the connection to Hue and my desire to add a third back to share carries with BJGE and Gio. Probly won't happen but I like how SD and NE have utilized three backs thru the year. Maybe Burkhead can be that guy next year if they revamp the offense in that direction.

Yeah, I'd like to see Burkhead utilized as well. He seems to be a middle ground between Gio and BJGE. Imagine though, if we had a little speed back like a Woodhead or a fireplug like Sproles that we could rotate in at RB and use to return kicks as well. Draft maybe?

Gio is like Sproles. I consider Gio a crucial piece but he is not an every down back.

I'm not sure about Dmc. He's is always hurt. Seriously, like all the time. No thank you.

If they wanted another, bigger guy who has some power, better to go after a guy like Ben Tate, and cut ties with BJGE. I think Tate would be far more versatile and is a superior back to The Law Firm.

Gio is like Sproles. I consider Gio a crucial piece but he is not an every down back.

I'm not sure about Dmc. He's is always hurt. Seriously, like all the time. No thank you.

If they wanted another, bigger guy who has some power, better to go after a guy like Ben Tate, and cut ties with BJGE. I think Tate would be far more versatile and is a superior back to The Law Firm.

Ben Tate ends up with the Browns if I had to bet. BJGE is limited, I agree. I like the guy, though. I think he's one if the leaders on offense.

What about someone like Sanzenbacher as a return guy? Don't know that much about him and his abilities.

And PAC-Man is still around. If they can get healthy at DB and move him back to a nickel or dime guy he could help with returns. Or is Marvin Jones a possibility for punts?

I love Sanzenbacher's game. I don't think he has the physicality to stay healthy as a return guy. Depth receiver who can provide a spark, I think that's the right spot for him.

Than let's see what Whalen can do as a returner.

Seems a massive waste with the Tate, Dane, Whalen trio doing next to nothing.

If we think Tate does not cut it as returner, then someone who can be the spark should be got. Heck Peerman seems very good running back kick offs.

I do think if the db depth is sorted, pacman is an excellent punt returner.

KR - Peerman, Whalen, Dane, pacman.

PR - Pacman, Whalen, M. Jones.

Armchair roster management is fun.

Armchair mgmt is fun, but when following the Bengals it gets confusing. Tate has looked hapless at times, runs sideways almost every time rarely just takes the 5 or 6 he can get going straight upfield. Yet no one else gets a crack at it.

It's not quite guy-checkian, but its still a little puzzling.

Armchair mgmt is fun, but when following the Bengals it gets confusing. Tate has looked hapless at times, runs sideways almost every time rarely just takes the 5 or 6 he can get going straight upfield. Yet no one else gets a crack at it.

It's not quite guy-checkian, but its still a little puzzling.

It's like how they just had to have Livings be the LG, letting Mathis walk.

They used to rely on Keiwan Ratliff to field punts, too. I don't get it.

At least when they let Shipley have a go, he'd go north south.

So it looks like some of us aren't the only ones intrigued by Darren McFadden. Ol' Hue himself mentioned DMC in a recent interview.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/112784/a-fit-for-mcfadden-with-jackson-in-cincy

But Florio wonders if his comments are tampering.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/hue-jackson-talks-about-and-possibly-tampers-with-darren-mcfadden/

So it looks like some of us aren't the only ones intrigued by Darren McFadden. Ol' Hue himself mentioned DMC in a recent interview.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/112784/a-fit-for-mcfadden-with-jackson-in-cincy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/hue-jackson-talks-about-and-possibly-tampers-with-darren-mcfadden/

Acourse they aren't just a former coach admiring one of his old players...:D

That's a bit of a stretch. Florio obviously has too much time on his hands.

Well, my comments on signing Alex Mack got lost.

If Hue wants to improve the run game and protect Dalton, he HAS to improve the center position. Sure getting a new RB to add to the mix will help. I agree. However, the most glaring need, IMO, is center.

Maybe signing a perennial Pro-Bowl center is a stretch. But, if any Bengals team could benefit significantly from a missing piece it is this one. Alex Mack wouldn't just improve the O-line. I think he'd improve the whole team. The ripple effect from a dominant O-line would make this team much, much, more likely to contend next season.

Put your money where your mouth is, Hue. Make a move.

If Hue wants to improve the run game and protect Dalton, he HAS to improve the center position. Sure getting a new RB to add to the mix will help. I agree. However, the most glaring need, IMO, is center.

Maybe signing a perennial Pro-Bowl center is a stretch. But, if any Bengals team could benefit significantly from a missing piece it is this one. Alex Mack wouldn't just improve the O-line. I think he'd improve the whole team. The ripple effect from a dominant O-line would make this team much, much, more likely to contend next season.

If they, indeed, end up letting MJ go this offseason (which I don't see as a sure thing like others do), then they'd certainly have the coin to do it.

I put Center/CB at equal priority this offseason. #1a and #1b, for sure.

If they, indeed, end up letting MJ go this offseason (which I don't see as a sure thing like others do), then they'd certainly have the coin to do it.

I'd love to see that move as well. I just don't know how much the franchise values that spot these days and would be willing to invest a large sum there. Moving Pollak to Center seems to be the latest angle but I am not certain that will be a big upgrade. If they are serious about pounding the ball, then this is a good place to start.

I am concerned that he will get picked up by someone like the Ravens that needs help on their line too.

I'd love to see that move as well. I just don't know how much the franchise values that spot these days and would be willing to invest a large sum there. Moving Pollak to Center seems to be the latest angle but I am not certain that will be a big upgrade. If they are serious about pounding the ball, then this is a good place to start.

I am concerned that he will get picked up by someone like the Ravens that needs help on their line too.

If the Ravens sign Mack, I'll be pissed.

The Bengals can possibly move on from MJ, with possibilities on the roster and in the draft.

For me, this is a no brainer. Adding a key piece at center shadows what they may lose at DE.

• 4 months later...

A little more insight, via Harvey.

Primarily, the second-year running back is referring to the way he and his teammates will be encouraged this season to rush to the line of scrimmage long before the play clock runs out, and to get plays off without running the risk of incurring a delay of game penalty. It's a small piece of an uptempo philosophy that's more about pacing than actual no-huddle plays themselves.

"You're just trying to get as many snaps as you can in," veteran offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth said. "It's not so much that you're no-huddling, but you're really trying to play at a fast pace."

:frustrated: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't everyone saying the offense looked so much better when they went up-tempo just about all of last season? Weren't we all constantly asking why they didn't do it more? This is welcome news, if a long time in coming.

With deference to the late Al Davis, this year's Bengals don't want to be patient and take what the defense gives them. It seems they want to "take whatever the hell [they] want."

That's the identity Bernard seemed to reference Wednesday when he energetically told reporters about how much he was looking forward to new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson's uptempo scheme.

"It's a lot more tempo, tempo, tempo," Bernard began, adding, "We're just going to smash your face in -- basically."

Yes, yes, YES! This is what I wanted to see more of. Don't worry about what the opposing defense is doing, make them worry about what you're doing.

If they follow through on all this talk I think I will be one happy camper this season.

I can't get behind this

If they put 9 in the box and we have sent in a running play, it's time to audible into a pass, not arrogantly spout off about how "YO! we gonna do what we want"

Now what I am interested in seeing is if in this pass happy league they've decided to do the opposite on the assumption that other teams will be somewhat more vulnerable because they've overcommitted by formations and/or roster to stopping the pass and ergo can't stop the run so well

I can't get behind this

If they put 9 in the box and we have sent in a running play, it's time to audible into a pass, not arrogantly spout off about how "YO! we gonna do what we want"

Now what I am interested in seeing is if in this pass happy league they've decided to do the opposite on the assumption that other teams will be somewhat more vulnerable because they've overcommitted by formations and/or roster to stopping the pass and ergo can't stop the run so well

If the other team is putting 9 in the box, it's probably because they've been doing what they want. Of course, there are exceptions to simply doing what you want to do, such as a team loading the box. But, again, I think if a team is desperate to do that consistently then it means that the Bengals ARE having their way with them.

I take it as a proactive as compared to a reactive approach. I like it.

Exactly. I had precisely this debate with skyline last year, when I objected to what I saw as a passive "take what they give you" approach versus the kind of "impose your will" attack that propelled the team during rebuild 1.0's heyday (2005).

Here you go in regards to differences in philosophy for the offense:

You want to get to the line so you dont have to rush to make audibles. Jay was more, OK, lets get to the line, make our audibles, take our time. With Hue, its just hurry it up; pick it up that much faster.

I can't see a situation where Dalton isn't rushed into audibling as a bad thing.

I think that change in philosophy is going to pan out well for the offense this year.

Exactly. I had precisely this debate with skyline last year, when I objected to what I saw as a passive "take what they give you" approach versus the kind of "impose your will" attack that propelled the team during rebuild 1.0's heyday (2005).

I still think that if you have a good play-caller, it's all semantics. It's just a matter of calling a game where you're always one step ahead of the opposing defense.

Bottom line is that Gruden called plays like a complete pushover, though, which means that I like what I'm hearing just as much as you do.

Outside of his balance plan of run/pass, I also like his 'no huddle/up tempo' approach!

After the Jets game last year when the offense scored 35 points with the 'no huddle' the whole game, against a pretty good Jets defense, and then never used it again, except here and there, I was one that kept asking, "Why, after the success they had, are they not using it until it proves otherwise?"

Outside of his balance plan of run/pass, I also like his 'no huddle/up tempo' approach!

After the Jets game last year when the offense scored 35 points with the 'no huddle' the whole game, against a pretty good Jets defense, and then never used it again, except here and there, I was one that kept asking, "Why, after the success they had, are they not using it until it proves otherwise?"

Same thing I was asking in the playoff game when SD couldn't contain any RB early and the Bengals just voluntarily went away from it. Answer is : Who is Jay Gruden?