A little Hue insight

walzav29

I am excited about Hue taking over, and I was looking for any quotes about things he thought needed to change for Cincy. I couldn't find any, but found this.

/>http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/14892/hue-jacksons-amazing-postgame-speech/

I am happy with what Gruden did for Dalton, but as for the offensive playcalling. It always seemed more could be done with the TE's. When it wasn't, then it seemed a little arenaball-ish. I do like Hue's fire, and he will really establish the running game. He definitely is passionate.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reedy tweets Hue from the press conference today:

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "Our offense has to start with being physical. You have to be able to run the ball. Sometimes you have to dictate how to run it."

Expand

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "You have to be able to handle all the situations. You're players have to understand the situations." #Bengals

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson on Dalton: "There's no doubt in my mind about Andy. I think he has tremendous upside. Everyone has to play better and Andy has to continue to grow." #Bengals

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "The offense can look different. At the end of the day it is about creating an opportunity to make our players special. We want to run the football and have talented players on the outside." #Bengals

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "I'm very excited for the opportunity. What a tremendous opportunity with the players we have. Makes it a smooth transition."

Reedy tweets Hue from the press conference today:

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "Our offense has to start with being physical. You have to be able to run the ball. Sometimes you have to dictate how to run it."

Expand

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "You have to be able to handle all the situations. You're players have to understand the situations." #Bengals

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson on Dalton: "There's no doubt in my mind about Andy. I think he has tremendous upside. Everyone has to play better and Andy has to continue to grow." #Bengals

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "The offense can look different. At the end of the day it is about creating an opportunity to make our players special. We want to run the football and have talented players on the outside." #Bengals

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy 1h

Jackson: "I'm very excited for the opportunity. What a tremendous opportunity with the players we have. Makes it a smooth transition."

Really like the talk, but have heard it before from the last two OC's.

Personally I'd like to see them pick up another useful RB. Maybe someone a little more stout than BJGE. For all the talk of spread offenses etc., look at the Chargers and Patriots. They effectively use three RBs in their schemes and it works. I think the Pats will be a tough out in the playoffs for this very reason.

I also pray they decide to have a real fullback on the team. I like bringing Peko in as an earth-mover and emotional lift but there are times when that shouldn't be necessary. Early on the the first Ravens game and 2nd Steelers game, we had third and short and did not get it. If I am Marvin, I tell Hue that it will not happen again. I get the deception on the 3rd and one pass to GIo vs San Diego but that also tells me that there is a little lack of confidence in being able to pick up that one yard. Never again I say.

Personally I'd like to see them pick up another useful RB. Maybe someone a little more stout than BJGE. For all the talk of spread offenses etc., look at the Chargers and Patriots. They effectively use three RBs in their schemes and it works. I think the Pats will be a tough out in the playoffs for this very reason.

I also pray they decide to have a real fullback on the team. I like bringing Peko in as an earth-mover and emotional lift but there are times when that shouldn't be necessary. Early on the the first Ravens game and 2nd Steelers game, we had third and short and did not get it. If I am Marvin, I tell Hue that it will not happen again. I get the deception on the 3rd and one pass to GIo vs San Diego but that also tells me that there is a little lack of confidence in being able to pick up that one yard. Never again I say.

I think they have that on the team in Burkhead, but he never got a chance this season.

Gruden talked about being physical and running the ball?

At least hue has a genuine track record of success doing just that as OC.

Yep his first press confrense when he was first hired, he said he wants to be a physical running team.

Then maybe gruden should have done that. That's on him. I would submit that grudens background in the arena league and hues background as an already successful OC in the nfl with regard to the run makes the hue statements a lot more believeable.

I said this elsewhere but it bears repeating: coaches in Cincy who say they want to run the ball have been lying liars who lie. Despite repeated assurances from Marvin Lewis on down, there has been no commitment to the run in Cincy whatsoever. Doesn't matter who the OC or QB or RB is, the operative strategy has been, "bombs away!" The one, one, single, sole, solitary time that they were forced into featuring the run, due to a total breakdown in the passing game, was 2009. And it got them to the playoffs. And they couldn't get back to "bombs away!" in 2010 fast enough.

So I applaud Hue. I hope he means it. But I'm not holding my breath.

I said this elsewhere but it bears repeating: coaches in Cincy who say they want to run the ball have been lying liars who lie. Despite repeated assurances from Marvin Lewis on down, there has been no commitment to the run in Cincy whatsoever. Doesn't matter who the OC or QB or RB is, the operative strategy has been, "bombs away!" The one, one, single, sole, solitary time that they were forced into featuring the run, due to a total breakdown in the passing game, was 2009. And it got them to the playoffs. And they couldn't get back to "bombs away!" in 2010 fast enough.

So I applaud Hue. I hope he means it. But I'm not holding my breath.

I get it, but at least there's a track record this time.

We shall see.

Woo-hoo.

Got through from California to Mo Eggers show. He just had on Hue and I got to pose a couple of points after the Hue segment.

1. Hue promotion is good for continuity, higher accountability. No more babying Dalton.

2. Indirect benefit to defense, if more balanced offense yields less interceptions. Won't have to defend short fields, bail out the offense so much. Atkins coming back and that, D could be even better.

Really like the talk, but have heard it before from the last two OC's.

Yup, yup, yup. I will believe it when I see it.

Difference is Hue is very known for Liking to run the Ball,Brat & Gruden said what ever they had to get/keep the job.

I'm Just saying hue has 13+ Years of coaching Running Backs he has over 8 years of Being a coordinator that every team he called plays for was more of a Running then passing team so if we don't atleast see Balance if not more run Heavy from Hue(this is what Marvin has always wanted) I would be shocked truly truly shocked.

PS,Mcfadden is a Free agent this year 1-2-3 combo?

If Hue really believes in helping the rushing offense then he'll have to shore up the O-line and RB positions. We can't believe that his personality alone can cause Cook to all of a sudden start moving massive nose tackles or that BJGE can all of a sudden start running away from defenders. If I see a new center and RB next year then I'll be convinced he means business. With all the interviews our media's done with him today, I think it's a cop out that no one's asked him the question of whether he envisions new personnel to shore up the run game

I don’t want McFadden!! In seven years as a pro, he’s played in 67 games and missed 29 due to injury. He’s had 883 attempts with 3,713 yards, and 23 TD’s. We need a power house monster RB that’s durable. In 2013 he had 114 carries for 379 yards with an average of 3.3 yards per carry and five TD’s. That won't help us.

I didn't know that McFadden might be available. Perhaps with Hue here now and at the right price he might come here. Maybe splitting carries with Gio and BJGE would make him more effective and keep him healthy all year. Bulkhead has options so he probly stays too. If they don't resign Smith then Orson probly stays.

I think as teams go smaller and lighter to keep up with the spread there are opportunities to pound the ball effectively in games and throughout the season.

And just a comment about Brat. Remember that they set a lot of game and season records in the early Marvin era with Rudi. In fact I think they wore him out prematurely. Then later it seemed like Brat was pass happy. In fact Carson and TJ set records yet we did not make the playoffs either year.

So I hope Hue is able to bring some balance and keeps Andy under 35 throws per game. And I hope he has some clever, imaginative and effective plays during crunch time instead of throwing jump balls to AJ.

I didn't know that McFadden might be available. Perhaps with Hue here now and at the right price he might come here. Maybe splitting carries with Gio and BJGE would make him more effective and keep him healthy all year. Bulkhead has options so he probly stays too. If they don't resign Smith then Orson probly stays.

I think as teams go smaller and lighter to keep up with the spread there are opportunities to pound the ball effectively in games and throughout the season.

And just a comment about Brat. Remember that they set a lot of game and season records in the early Marvin era with Rudi. In fact I think they wore him out prematurely. Then later it seemed like Brat was pass happy. In fact Carson and TJ set records yet we did not make the playoffs either year.

So I hope Hue is able to bring some balance and keeps Andy under 35 throws per game. And I hope he has some clever, imaginative and effective plays during crunch time instead of throwing jump balls to AJ.

Right but Charles would take Smith's role as the TE. It would leave the H-back position open.

I think it's a long shot for McFadden to go to a team sharing carries with 2 other backs. You would think he and his agent will shoot for an opening where he would be the feature back. Somewhere like Cleveland.

Right but Charles would take Smith's role as the TE. It would leave the H-back position open.

I think it's a long shot for McFadden to go to a team sharing carries with 2 other backs. You would think he and his agent will shoot for an opening where he would be the feature back. Somewhere like Cleveland.

Being 3rd TE is bascailly starting Hback would be nice see open door for Pressley return

Being 3rd TE is bascailly starting Hback would be nice see open door for Pressley return

Yeah, that's a good point. It's possible they would bring him back. I think you're right, though. I can't see them keeping 5 RB's, all of them halfbacks.

Yes the H back spot would be open and hopefully that spot reverts to a traditional fullback position. That spot was wasted other than for blocking purposes when all four TEs were in at the same time.

McFadden and his agent probably would be looking for starter money for sure. I mentioned him because of the connection to Hue and my desire to add a third back to share carries with BJGE and Gio. Probly won't happen but I like how SD and NE have utilized three backs thru the year. Maybe Burkhead can be that guy next year if they revamp the offense in that direction.