Positive Talk and Moving Forward...where to go next?

skyline

Okay, this thread is about player personnel only. Who do we keep, who do we let go, and who do we draft.

Three rules:

1) No talk of Marvin Lewis. He's staying. Get over it.

2) No talk of Dalton. He'll be back next year, too.

3) No talk of coordinators. It's just a wait and see right now while all of the coaching positions are being filled around the league.

I'll get it started.

Offense:

O-line - I believe this is where the work needs to be done. Whitworth isn't getting any younger, and who knows how long we'll be able to hold onto Collins since he's probably going to want starter money. He's been very good, but do we think he's a starting LT for us? Cook is solid depth, but not a long-term starter. I want a good center that can shore up the center of our line. If a first-round pick is used on the o-line this year, I will jump and cheer. I also think it's a possible spot to look for free agents. Perhaps not to start, but at least to shore depth up even more than it already is. We'll also need to keep an eye on the development of guys like Hawkinson. I didn't put much stock in him when he was drafted, but the coaches seem pleased as long as he can stay healthy.

HB - I'm actually completely satisfied here. Our 1-2 punch is solid. However, next season, Bernard needs to be the 1 in that combo.

WR - Also very pleased here. It's hard to imagine them upgrading this position. Unless they take someone in the 1st round. Signing Green this offseason has to be their #1 priority.

TE - Re-sign Gresham if he doesn't ask for too much. He and Eifert have the ability to dominate a football game. As for Eifert, he should have been involved more. I don't know how much of it was a young kid learning the ropes or how much of it was simply a limited # of balls to go around, but he needs to be more involved and it needs to happen NOW. As for the Orson Charles issue...if he can block effectively and take Alex Smith's role on this team, then so be it. He's a good pass-catcher in case one of our top two goes down. However, if he's simply going to be used the way he was this season, then it's time to cut ties.

QB - As I said, if you want to cut Dalton, trade Dalton, or simply bench him, then please go elsewhere. There are already approximately 928309482903849 threads for this. He's coming back next year and he's going to be our starter. The best thing we can do is focus on our o-line to be sure we do everything we can to support him. Now, I DO think it's time to take the kid gloves off with how he's being handled. If there's a raw but talented QB sitting there in the 3rd round, then I don't hesitate to take him. Make this summer a real competition and let Dalton feel some heat.

Defense:

DE - Michael Johnson. I would LOVE to see this guy back in stripes. I also have no expectations of it happening. There are just too many needs and he's going to demand too much money. I think the Bengals will try, but I don't think it will happen...this is similar to the JJoe situation. I won't fault the Bengals, but it will really hurt to see him play in another uniform. That said, I felt Hunt made serious strides towards the end of the season, and I'm excited to see what he can do on a line where Atkins will hopefully be back and demanding double teams once again. Anyone know the status on Geathers' contract? I love the guy, but I can't say the Bengals really missed him this season. Then again, if Johnson is out, then the depth will be needed. If there's a monster pass-rusher at this position in the draft, then the selection wouldn't surprise me.

DT - Beastly. Just cross our fingers and hope for good health.

LB - Dare I say that I'm completely, 100% satisfied with this group? If there's a stud in the draft, you consider it, but otherwise I don't see a pressing need.

S - Seems to always be a position that could use an upgrade, but I was very pleased with Iloka this season. Depth is scarce, however. Whether or not you draft one really depends on the possible re-signing of Taylor Mays and whether or not the coaches feel Shawn Williams can step up next season.

CB - The bigger need. I was very pleased with the play of Adam Jones and felt that Kirkpatrick made some serious strides. I'm actually comfortable with him starting if push comes to shove. The questions, though, are with Hall and Newman. Their durability can't be counted on next season, and a first round pick here wouldn't go amiss.

Overall summary? Please. Gimme a lineman. On offense, specifically. I want a smash-mouth bruiser at center, and wouldn't mind seeing us take a possible starting LT, either. #2? CB.

Everything else is just gravy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward, and not to focus on Dalton, what can a 2014 Bengals roster look like?

It would be great to start compiling the status of contracts.

Some guys from the Green-Dalton class can look for extensions this Spring.

1.Would be interesting to see what happens on the Oline. Collins at LT and Whit inside can only continue if the reward Collins.

2. Is BJGE on a year to year deal?

3. Green can extend, maybe will wait due to Dalton status?

On defense, they have some tough decisions.

1. Michael Johnson and the FT. Is he now an UFA?

2. What to expect from Hall? I mean, its not like he can pop another achilles, right? but does his injuries add up to overall durability question? If so, can Dre, Ghee and a solid draft address the spot?

3. Geathers... getting up in age, line played well with the young guys and Gilberry.

4. All the Linebackers who went to IR: Lamur, Porter, Joiner... the come back and have an impact which I think is a strength.

5. Safety - I thought Iloka showed very well. Grew into the spot. Nelson is still solid. Depth needed but is there hope Mays is in the plan?

6. Most importantly, Atkins - no reason to think he won't be ready. He will be hungry and should boost the D line.

Lots to think about.

Okay, this thread is about player personnel only. Who do we keep, who do we let go, and who do we draft.

Three rules:

1) No talk of Marvin Lewis. He's staying. Get over it.

2) No talk of Dalton. He'll be back next year, too.

3) No talk of coordinators. It's just a wait and see right now while all of the coaching positions are being filled around the league.

I'll get it started.

Offense:

O-line - I believe this is where the work needs to be done. Whitworth isn't getting any younger, and who knows how long we'll be able to hold onto Collins since he's probably going to want starter money. He's been very good, but do we think he's a starting LT for us? Cook is solid depth, but not a long-term starter. I want a good center that can shore up the center of our line. If a first-round pick is used on the o-line this year, I will jump and cheer. I also think it's a possible spot to look for free agents. Perhaps not to start, but at least to shore depth up even more than it already is. We'll also need to keep an eye on the development of guys like Hawkinson. I didn't put much stock in him when he was drafted, but the coaches seem pleased as long as he can stay healthy.

HB - I'm actually completely satisfied here. Our 1-2 punch is solid. However, next season, Bernard needs to be the 1 in that combo.

WR - Also very pleased here. It's hard to imagine them upgrading this position. Unless they take someone in the 1st round. Signing Green this offseason has to be their #1 priority.

TE - Re-sign Gresham if he doesn't ask for too much. He and Eifert have the ability to dominate a football game. As for Eifert, he should have been involved more. I don't know how much of it was a young kid learning the ropes or how much of it was simply a limited # of balls to go around, but he needs to be more involved and it needs to happen NOW. As for the Orson Charles issue...if he can block effectively and take Alex Smith's role on this team, then so be it. He's a good pass-catcher in case one of our top two goes down. However, if he's simply going to be used the way he was this season, then it's time to cut ties.

QB - As I said, if you want to cut Dalton, trade Dalton, or simply bench him, then please go elsewhere. There are already approximately 928309482903849 threads for this. He's coming back next year and he's going to be our starter. The best thing we can do is focus on our o-line to be sure we do everything we can to support him. Now, I DO think it's time to take the kid gloves off with how he's being handled. If there's a raw but talented QB sitting there in the 3rd round, then I don't hesitate to take him. Make this summer a real competition and let Dalton feel some heat.

Defense:

DE - Michael Johnson. I would LOVE to see this guy back in stripes. I also have no expectations of it happening. There are just too many needs and he's going to demand too much money. I think the Bengals will try, but I don't think it will happen...this is similar to the JJoe situation. I won't fault the Bengals, but it will really hurt to see him play in another uniform. That said, I felt Hunt made serious strides towards the end of the season, and I'm excited to see what he can do on a line where Atkins will hopefully be back and demanding double teams once again. Anyone know the status on Geathers' contract? I love the guy, but I can't say the Bengals really missed him this season. Then again, if Johnson is out, then the depth will be needed. If there's a monster pass-rusher at this position in the draft, then the selection wouldn't surprise me.

DT - Beastly. Just cross our fingers and hope for good health.

LB - Dare I say that I'm completely, 100% satisfied with this group? If there's a stud in the draft, you consider it, but otherwise I don't see a pressing need.

S - Seems to always be a position that could use an upgrade, but I was very pleased with Iloka this season. Depth is scarce, however. Whether or not you draft one really depends on the possible re-signing of Taylor Mays and whether or not the coaches feel Shawn Williams can step up next season.

CB - The bigger need. I was very pleased with the play of Adam Jones and felt that Kirkpatrick made some serious strides. I'm actually comfortable with him starting if push comes to shove. The questions, though, are with Hall and Newman. Their durability can't be counted on next season, and a first round pick here wouldn't go amiss.

Overall summary? Please. Gimme a lineman. On offense, specifically. I want a smash-mouth bruiser at center, and wouldn't mind seeing us take a possible starting LT, either. #2? CB.

Everything else is just gravy.

Ha, great minds think alike. might as well merge mine and yours.... :)

I approve this thread. :sure:

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

Sign a fullback. I love Peko but having your starting DT routinely come in as a short yardage blocker is an invitation to injury.

Get a full work up on Whit's knee fast. That will tell you how aggressive to be going after AC. As I said elsewhere I think he will have a reasonable price tag.

Boling and Cook can be upgraded.

We need to find a corner probably in the draft. And probably more than one.

Cut Ryan Whalen and sign me. I'm cheaper and can sit on my butt while cashing checks, too.

Outside of AC I'm mot in a rush to re-sign anyone, even AJ. It will be interesting to see what kind of interest MJ gets.

I think we can all agree the Orson Charles experiment is a bust. So, yes, bring back a true fullback. At least one who can block/catch on 3rd downs to alleviate the blitz that cracks Dalton so badly.

I agree that Collins is a critical player. He's a must sign.

Tough decisions at corner. Can't see all the vets coming back. Newman and Hall seem most likely to be let go. I think Jones stays.

The WR spot is another conundrum. Tate, Whalen and Sanzenbacher were just blah. How Tate keeps his job is a weird thing. Couldn't Peerman do better? Seemes to have better burst when he field a KR. Wouldn't a guy like Burkhead be more useful than Whalen or Sanz? f**k, even for STs...

There is no end to the tinkering and tightening to discuss till May....

Bring in competition for Dalton via the draft or free agency (haven't looked to see who's available and it might be nobody)

Replace Cook at center.

Demote Boling.

Replace Gresham and all of his softness.

Draft a cornerback.

Assign a new KR.

Drastically shake up the coaching staff, especially the O-line.

Implement a sports psychology program and protocol. Dead f'ing serious.

For me: Stock up on more bourbon.

Fire Dalton, carpet bomb PBS offices, assemble the roster and commit Rwanda-style genocide, salt the earth for a two-mile radius around Brown's Indian Hill compound, elevate Zim to a Captain Kurtz type of reclusive deity and install him in a cave under what's left of PBS, hack up some water buffalo while we play the Doors really loud, get a guillotine and have a Bastille Day in front of City Hall to punish city leaders, and finally, sign backup guard Dylan Gandy from the Lions, he looks like he could develop into something.

I think the two biggest things going forward and KNOWING Dalton and Marvin are staying are the o-line and CB spot.

We need to give Dalton the best we can in front of him, it's just that simple.

The CB spot is a huge question mark. Newman, Crocker, Jones, and add another year to Hall and that is some age.

I think Hall comes back, but takes time to come into form as before. After that it's iffy.

Does Kirkpatrick step up ?? Does Ghee stay healthy ?? Then what ??

Need to draft a CB high and maybe another a little later.

CB and Center would be my #1 and #2 if things play out that way.

Sign a fullback. I love Peko but having your starting DT routinely come in as a short yardage blocker is an invitation to injury.

Did we finally let Pressley go? I'd be happy with him back assuming he could make the active roster.

Yah, they cut him a week or three ago.

Another thing: implement a new conditioning program similar to what Chip Kelly put into place in Philly. The injuries were just ridiculous this year and they must reduce them.

Did we finally let Pressley go? I'd be happy with him back assuming he could make the active roster.

Another thing: implement a new conditioning program similar to what Chip Kelly put into place in Philly. The injuries were just ridiculous this year and they must reduce them.

New conditioning program? Hell yes.

Sports psychology program? That too.

According to my son, a lot of that was a special diet for the players. Andre Smith could benefit from that!

Seriously, it seemed to have made a difference, the only player they had on IR was Maclin before the season started I believe.

Too bad there will be nobody there at 24. The reason he will be here is because of a thing called QB purgatory (yes Hoosier I was reading Joe Goodberry again) The fact is there will be no free agent, or draft pick worth taking. So for now we are stuck with the red head, and I say get a new OC and QB coach and see if things change with him. I think he needs the right coach, and scheme to succed and he dosnt have it right now.