Andy Dalton Sucks!

HoosierCat

Doesn't see the field, lousy pocket presence, no deep accuracy. poor ball placement, the list of Andy Dalton's shortcomings goes on and on.

Oh wait, that's a story about Tom Brady...

Love analysis like this and wish places like ESPN would actually take the time to break things down for the less casual fan. I really do get sick of the endless use of cliches where they just change the scores and names of the teams and the rest sounds like every article you've ever read.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't see the field, lousy pocket presence, no deep accuracy. poor ball placement, the list of Andy Dalton's shortcomings goes on and on.

Oh wait, that's a story about Tom Brady...

Love analysis like this and wish places like ESPN would actually take the time to break things down for the less casual fan. I really do get sick of the endless use of cliches where they just change the scores and names of the teams and the rest sounds like every article you've ever read.

No Doubt I would even consider paying for ESPN Insiders if they had quality content like that.

For the record, there are exactly zero quarterbacks for whom their team gameplans to allow massive pressure in their qbs face. It's not like dalton needing protection to be effective is a shortcoming, all qbs need that. Even "elite ones".

Exactly, I think people just find things to put on Dalton's shoulders as if he's the only one with that concern.

"Well, the Bengals are really going to have to make efforts to build a team around Dalton for him to be successful".

Really ?? He's the only QB you have to do that for ??

Tell me. How are the other two Super Bowl winning QB's in our division doing this season ??

Another day, another exercise in justifying preconceived notions at espn. Hey, I bet you all didn't know this, but Cam Newton is playing like Superman!

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/3413/newton-not-defined-by-superman

Long story short: Dalton's numbers are virtually identical to those cited to prove Cam = Superman. And as an extra bonus you don't even have to cherry pick the last 11 weeks (eliminating Carolina's 1-3 start) in Dalton's case!

But Cam was the No. 1 pick so any sign he is (finally) developing vindicates all the media hype three years ago. Never mind that Carolina has the best D in the league. But Andy? Well, he wasn't supposed to make it so any flaws are to be magnified a thousand fold, and any success is due to all the talent around him.

:rolleyes:

*stepping on my soapbox*

The ESPN Analysts (and most other NFL analysts have followed suit) are strongly QB Focused and as such they put physical attributes like arm strength and height above in-tangibles. Dalton isn't 6'4" (Neither was Montana, or is Brees or Rodgers for that fact) and Dalton doesn't throw this laser rocket spirling missle (but Flacco does so he is the better QB, right?) so that must mean that Dalton is the dredded "game manager QB". Never mind that what makes Manning and Brady and Brees great is their leadership, their attention to detail, their intelligence, and their will to win. All of these attributes Dalton shows in spades (by my calculation Dalton is -as of week 16- Dalton is 71 and 26 as a college and pro QB which equates to a winning percentager of greater than 73% and has led his team to the postseason 7 years out of 7). Dalton is a football junkie, a gym rat, a leader, and above all else a winner which are the primary attributes of a great QB in the NFL (and have been through NFL history by the way regardless of era)despite what the ESPN analysts will have you believe.

What makes the Bengals a potentially great team is that Dalton isn't the only one....this team is filled with winners and leaders and football junkies who will continue to polish their games and improve and new players will be indoctrinated into this system which is what makes consitently good football franchises. NFL.Com just released a ranking of the teams with the best Offensive and Defensive CORE players, they had the Bengals ranked 13th in both which is ridiculous IMHO. Our CORE (Whitworth, Green, Dalton, BJGE on offense and Atkins, Burfict, Geathers, Peko, Hall, Nelson on defense) is stronger than any other team in my opinion except maybe Seattle because of the intensity they bring and the work ethic they have created. Case in point, everyone is talking about the Dallas Cowboys and how their defense has been derailed by injuries....well we lost Atkins, Hall, Lamur, Newman (for several games), and Geathers and yet the defense keeps on trucking, playing at a high level because of the culture of preparation that the leaders on this defense have created. Put Vinny Rey on another defense and he wouldn't be an NFL quality player. We have seen what Nelson and Jones were when they were on other less disaplined teams (train wrecks). It starts with Lewis and Zimmer and has filtered down into the CORE and the CORE then enforces that philosophy into the rest of the guys, next man up. This is my all-time favorite Bengals team because of their attitude and committment to excellence and I expect they will continue to get better every season until finally they will force the NFL Elitists to recognize them.

*stepping down off my soapbox*

*stepping on my soapbox*

The ESPN Analysts (and most other NFL analysts have followed suit) are strongly QB Focused and as such they put physical attributes like arm strength and height above in-tangibles. Dalton isn't 6'4" (Neither was Montana, or is Brees or Rodgers for that fact) and Dalton doesn't throw this laser rocket spirling missle (but Flacco does so he is the better QB, right?) so that must mean that Dalton is the dredded "game manager QB". Never mind that what makes Manning and Brady and Brees great is their leadership, their attention to detail, their intelligence, and their will to win. All of these attributes Dalton shows in spades (by my calculation Dalton is -as of week 16- Dalton is 71 and 26 as a college and pro QB which equates to a winning percentager of greater than 73% and has led his team to the postseason 7 years out of 7). Dalton is a football junkie, a gym rat, a leader, and above all else a winner which are the primary attributes of a great QB in the NFL (and have been through NFL history by the way regardless of era)despite what the ESPN analysts will have you believe.

What makes the Bengals a potentially great team is that Dalton isn't the only one....this team is filled with winners and leaders and football junkies who will continue to polish their games and improve and new players will be indoctrinated into this system which is what makes consitently good football franchises. NFL.Com just released a ranking of the teams with the best Offensive and Defensive CORE players, they had the Bengals ranked 13th in both which is ridiculous IMHO. Our CORE (Whitworth, Green, Dalton, BJGE on offense and Atkins, Burfict, Geathers, Peko, Hall, Nelson on defense) is stronger than any other team in my opinion except maybe Seattle because of the intensity they bring and the work ethic they have created. Case in point, everyone is talking about the Dallas Cowboys and how their defense has been derailed by injuries....well we lost Atkins, Hall, Lamur, Newman (for several games), and Geathers and yet the defense keeps on trucking, playing at a high level because of the culture of preparation that the leaders on this defense have created. Put Vinny Rey on another defense and he wouldn't be an NFL quality player. We have seen what Nelson and Jones were when they were on other less disaplined teams (train wrecks). It starts with Lewis and Zimmer and has filtered down into the CORE and the CORE then enforces that philosophy into the rest of the guys, next man up. This is my all-time favorite Bengals team because of their attitude and committment to excellence and I expect they will continue to get better every season until finally they will force the NFL Elitists to recognize them.

*stepping down off my soapbox*

I agree with Hoosier! This is as good as it gets for a logical, truthful, unbiased assessment!

Now, for a guy like me who has way too much time on his hands, go over to the Bengals forum and copy and paste this as a thread, let me know when it's done, and I will get the popcorn and soda, log in, and enjoy the show!! :sure:/>

Speaking of quarterbacks, did anyone hear about Tony Romo? He threw a game winning touchdown pass against the Redskins, then was injured, then had back surgery today! Wow.

I can't believe this hasn't been all over the news so far! (sarcasm)

One thing for sure, they can't blame him for the Cowboys not making the playoffs this year!! :lol:

Speaking of quarterbacks, did anyone hear about Tony Romo? He threw a game winning touchdown pass against the Redskins, then was injured, then had back surgery today! Wow.

One thing for sure, they can't blame him for the Cowboys not making the playoffs this year!! :lol:/>

True!

After they get rolled by the Eagles, they can readdress their defense.

One thing for sure, they can't blame him for the Cowboys not making the playoffs this year!! :lol:/>/>

True!

After they get rolled by the Eagles, they can readdress their defense.

Hoping for just that. Eagles are my son's team. Eagles/Bengals SB?? You never know!

If Dalton wins a home playoff game, or "isn't" the reason they lose one, he will be redeemed...for now!

Big test against Ravens to see if he can at least duplicate the way he played at the loss in Pittsburgh - if he does that and they don't make big mistakes on ST's and D, they win.

I really don't like the whole situation and Dalton has not faired well against Baltimore.

So, I have been puzzling over Dalton and who he reminds me of in terms of approach to the game. And while they are different quarterbacks in skill-set (arm strength mostly), their approach to the game in terms of taking chances and having no conscience and not worrying about mistakes (even when forcing them).

I won't spoil the surprise, follow this link:

/>http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00.htm

Focus on the TDs and the INTs and the QB rating throughout.

That's who Dalton is.

And I can live with that. I will just have to adjust to having that kind of qb for my team in terms of gambling on the field. Never really had that before.

So, I have been puzzling over Dalton and who he reminds me of in terms of approach to the game. And while they are different quarterbacks in skill-set (arm strength mostly), their approach to the game in terms of taking chances and having no conscience and not worrying about mistakes (even when forcing them).

I won't spoil the surprise, follow this link:

/>http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00.htm

Focus on the TDs and the INTs and the QB rating throughout.

That's who Dalton is.

And I can live with that. I will just have to adjust to having that kind of qb for my team in terms of gambling on the field. Never really had that before.

What a great comparison. Here's the breakdown:

Favre's first 3 years:

TDs - 70

Int - 51

Passing Yards - 10412

Passing Percentage - 62.45

Dalto's first 3 years:

TDs - 80

Int - 49

Passing Yards - 11363

Passing Percentage - 60.9

What else needs to be said????

If Dalton wins a home playoff game, or "isn't" the reason they lose one, he will be redeemed...for now!

Big test against Ravens to see if he can at least duplicate the way he played at the loss in Pittsburgh - if he does that and they don't make big mistakes on ST's and D, they win.

I really don't like the whole situation and Dalton has not faired well against Baltimore.

He threw 4 INTs and they still won by 3 scores

Farve had a rocket arm :-)

For the record, I noted the difference in skill-set in the original post. My comparison was more to their gambling-style in their on-field decisions, which seem, at this point in Andy's career, eerily similar.

Andy Dalton = Brett Favre? Holy crap my head is about to explode. I know this is a fan site. I know we love to win, and were starved for years. But Andy Dalton falls on his face in almost every big, nationally televised game. Why is everyone in here acting like this isn't the case? All the stuff you say is true, he's resilient, doesn't mope, is physically and mentally tough. I won't detail his inconsistency because at this point it'll probably get me banned, but there is a lot more to Andy's performance yesterday than "he threw 4 picks and we still won." Like a league leading defense, a receiver who got 8 yards past the safety for our first score, running backs and linemen who delivered the ground and pound when we needed it, 2nd year corner who finally did something (pick 6), etc. The Bengals won that game. Quarterback is the most important player on the modern offense. And our quarterback is the weakest link on our team. It just shows you how strong the Bengals are overall that they an overcome 4 picks and still walk away from the defending Super Bowl champs.

I'm not advocating dumping Andy, I see no point in spending the years trying to develop a new qb when we've got a servicable guy in there. But I'm not going to fret when the national media points out the obvious. Andy Dalton is Brett Favre? Seriously?

Farve had a rocket arm :-)

For the record, I noted the difference in skill-set in the original post. My comparison was more to their gambling-style in their on-field decisions, which seem, at this point in Andy's career, eerily similar.

I know, I know :-)

I was just banging on a long dead horse, with humourous intent (although I seem to have failed)