Official Offseason Discussion Thread

ArmyBengal

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9928073/cincinnati-reds-make-qualifying-offer-shin-soo-choo

They didn't make an offer to Arroyo, but I don't think a one year deal is going to get it done for Choo.

I think spending the money on Choo rather than Arroyo is the better way to go and I want to see him stay.

I like and respect what Arroyo has done while with the Reds, but the lead off spot needs to be maintained.

So Choo turned down the initial offer (knew that was coming) and there has been a lot of talk whether moving Phillips is a good or bad thing.

The Reds did sign the Tigers backup catcher (Pena), who is a better hitter, but not as great behind the plate.

That gives them Hannigan, Mesoraco, and Pena heading into the season.

• 4 weeks later...

So the Reds traded Hanigan to the Rays and got a left handed pitcher (Holmberg) who has been a double A pitcher.

The Reds also are of the line of thought that Choo is gone and said Hamilton would be the CF and hit leadoff.

Sad to see Hanigan go, because I loved him as a catcher. He didn't bring much as a hitter though.

Mesoraco is the #1 guy now.

I think they are in for it next year if Hamilton doesn't get on base all that much.

They better hope his hitting improves.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, as if there was any doubt about him leaving, Choo signed with the Rangers.

There was simply no way they could really afford to bring him back long term.

Going to live or die with Billy Hamilton in CF I suppose.

Also, could they possibly have made a bigger mess with Phillips than they did ??

Tell the guy you aren't looking to trade him, then try to trade him while telling him he has an attitude, then don't get the trade done and kiss his ass to attempt to convince him you didn't mean anything you said about his attitude.

I always look forward to the baseball season and going down to the ballpark, but I don't have the same expectations this season as I have the past few.

I really think this team missed a big window of opportunity the past two seasons especially.

Also, could they possibly have made a bigger mess with Phillips than they did ??

Tell the guy you aren't looking to trade him, then try to trade him while telling him he has an attitude, then don't get the trade done and kiss his ass to attempt to convince him you didn't mean anything you said about his attitude.

It's hard to say how much of a mess they really made of things. We get the media's interpretation of everything, but they weren't sitting in on any of the meetings or discussions that the team had with Brandon.

Don't give up on the team so quickly, Army. They've still got an impressive roster with or without Choo and plenty of time to make a move or two to solidify things. Not to mention their pitching which is still pretty stellar as far as I can tell.

Never giving up on my Reds, much like the Bengals.

However, in the past few seasons, I went into the season with thoughts of the World Series and they had that type of a roster.

I think there is going to be a ton of pressure on Billy Hamilton and i'm really hopeful for him.

I'm hoping we don't see a return to having a Drew Stubbs type of hitter at the top of the order.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll make this prediction.

If Billy Hamilton can produce 3/4's of the production that Choo did, the Reds will make the playoffs.

Well, that and staying healthy always helps.

People want to point to Arroyo leaving as a bad thing and while he did eat up some innings, I like Cingrani more.

What happens in right field will also play a big part of how things go.

Maybe Mesoraco being the full time catcher now will result in better production at the plate from the catcher's spot in the lineup.

The bullpen is still pretty solid in my opinion.

The Reds have just as much of a chance to be there at the end as anyone else I think.

It's not like we are the Astros and KNOW we aren't making any noise this season.

I'll make this prediction.

If Billy Hamilton can produce 3/4's of the production that Choo did, the Reds will make the playoffs.

Well, that and staying healthy always helps.

People want to point to Arroyo leaving as a bad thing and while he did eat up some innings, I like Cingrani more.

What happens in right field will also play a big part of how things go.

Maybe Mesoraco being the full time catcher now will result in better production at the plate from the catcher's spot in the lineup.

The bullpen is still pretty solid in my opinion.

The Reds have just as much of a chance to be there at the end as anyone else I think.

It's not like we are the Astros and KNOW we aren't making any noise this season.

All the predictions I googled Army, including Bleacher Report, have the Cardinals winning the division and the Giants and Braves as wild cards.

I think that stems from two main factors.

1. Bryan Price is the new head coach.

2. Billy Hamilton isn't as accomplished as the departed Choo at the top of the order.

There really isn't much more than that to consider with this team.

There has been little turnover and they still sport one of the better bullpens in the league.

I will say it again, if Hamilton can produce over the course of the season, they will be in contention at the end.

ANALysts can say whatever they like and I think it's easy to simply pick the team that won the season before.

While I have my concerns, the Reds are still a very good team.

On a side note, i'm also interested to see how the Brandon Phillip's situation plays out into the season.

I really think the Reds have handled that situation poorly.

There really isn't much more than that to consider with this team.

There has been little turnover and they still sport one of the better bullpens in the league.

Better starting rotation as well. I think Cueto's health could make or break the season...

In fact, the health of the entire starting staff is really what I think this season hinges around.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was referring to when I mentioned players staying healthy.

I know it's just spring training, but Cueto to look to hot the other day giving up 2 dingers early.

Hopefully that was just one of those days and not an indicator of continued problems with him.

Anyone else been blessed to be able to attend any of the WS games in Cincy?

I got to go to Game 5 in 1975 and Game 1 in 1976.

The 1976 team is still very special as they are the only team to sweep playoffs and WS in the same year. That record may stand a good while since they've added so many more playoff games in the MLB.