Bengals at Lions Game Thread

combatbengal

Agreed TJ. Couldn't have asked for much more (OK, maybe a Balti-Pitt tie...)

Did you ever think you'd live to see the day that Marvin outcoached someone? Well that's exactly what happened yesterday. The Lions easily could have run out the clock yesterday and taken the game into OT but they had Stafford continue to drop back and dink, dunk and most importantly throw incompletions. He'd have been better off to take a sack or two. It looked like they were content to run the clock out until Marvin called his 2nd TO. At that point Detroit got the 1st down and proceeded to try to throw the ball, playing right into the Bengals hands. Score one for Marvin

I confess when Marvin called that TO my initial reaction was "no, no, don't Marvin you idiot" because the D had not been able to stop the Lions all day. But they stepped up and the Lions' punter choked, and I was thinking, "good thing Marvin doesn't listen to me!" :lmao:

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the most amazing thing about that ending was the way the offense ran a second play without calling a timeout. They only had 1 left. If they used it to stop the clock, they would have had to throw to the sidelines for a completion and step out of bounds. Instead they rushed to the line and snapped it, left the whole field open, allowing themselves to dump it over the middle to Gio to pick up 6 or 7 and put them in realistic FG range, then call the timeout with 4 seconds to spare! Rich Gannon, who I have a ton of respect for, was yelling for them to call timeout. I was yelling for them to call timeout. But they obviously had a plan on how it would work, and it did. I was stunned it worked.

I'm right with you guys on that one. When Marvin called the TO my eyes nearly rolled out of my skull. The defense couldn't stop s**t, so why were WE giving the Lions O more time?! When they Lions got that first down it seemed to prove that Marvin had once again blundered a TO call. Defense held up, shanked punt, and now we all look stupid. It has been baffling though, Marvin's made several good TO calls and, perhaps even more shocking, GOOD challenges! Who'd have seen that coming?

Did you ever think you'd live to see the day that Marvin outcoached someone? Well that's exactly what happened yesterday. The Lions easily could have run out the clock yesterday and taken the game into OT but they had Stafford continue to drop back and dink, dunk and most importantly throw incompletions. He'd have been better off to take a sack or two. It looked like they were content to run the clock out until Marvin called his 2nd TO. At that point Detroit got the 1st down and proceeded to try to throw the ball, playing right into the Bengals hands. Score one for Marvin

And I was complaining vehemnetly about that timeout, up to the point where the punter shanked a gift to us at the 49 yard line.

And I was complaining vehemnetly about that timeout, up to the point where the punter shanked a gift to us at the 49 yard line.

I'm convinced the Lions would have continued to run the ball and run out the clock if not for that TO. What do you think?

I'm right with you guys on that one. When Marvin called the TO my eyes nearly rolled out of my skull. The defense couldn't stop s**t, so why were WE giving the Lions O more time?! When they Lions got that first down it seemed to prove that Marvin had once again blundered a TO call. Defense held up, shanked punt, and now we all look stupid. It has been baffling though, Marvin's made several good TO calls and, perhaps even more shocking, GOOD challenges! Who'd have seen that coming?

I told my wife after the second Challenge flag came out that if he actually won, it would set a record for him as a head coach. 2 correct challenges in 1 game. Holy Cow, WTF is happening.

I'm convinced the Lions would have continued to run the ball and run out the clock if not for that TO. What do you think?

Probably, that is the way it looked,.

I told my wife after the second Challenge flag came out that if he actually won, it would set a record for him as a head coach. 2 correct challenges in 1 game. Holy Cow, WTF is happening.

IIRC there was chatter during the offseason that Hue Jackson's duties as Marvin's special assistant including focusing on challenges and in-game coaching calls like time outs. It wouldn't surprise me if that's it.

IIRC there was chatter during the offseason that Hue Jackson's duties as Marvin's special assistant including focusing on challenges and in-game coaching calls like time outs. It wouldn't surprise me if that's it.

This doesn't make a ton of sense to me regarding challenges. Don't the coaches typically listen to guys upstairs in the booth that have replays to look at quickly?

Agreed TJ. Couldn't have asked for much more (OK, maybe a Balti-Pitt tie...)

I confess when Marvin called that TO my initial reaction was "no, no, don't Marvin you idiot" because the D had not been able to stop the Lions all day. But they stepped up and the Lions' punter choked, and I was thinking, "good thing Marvin doesn't listen to me!" lol.gif

Same. I made one of my obligatory timeout complaints in the game thread and then promptly retracted it. Hell, I almost threw my mouse in the final sequence when they hurried to the line for a quick snap instead of just using the timeout.

Marvin schooled me on clock management yesterday. tongue.gif

This doesn't make a ton of sense to me regarding challenges. Don't the coaches typically listen to guys upstairs in the booth that have replays to look at quickly?

Yup. Maybe they have Hue tied into that? Is he on the sidelines? I don't recall seeing him but I haven't been looking for him either.