Dusty's Gone

skyline

To be honest, I was never a fan and I'm happy his time is over. I dont think it will be hard to find someone as good or better than Baker has been. He has had alot of talented teams on three different franchises and what does he have to show for it, mostly dissapointing failures in the playoffs.

Splendid. Dusty does well to bring a team together I think, but this team is already tightly-knit and loaded so that's not very important IMO. Someone who has a clue how to design a lineup or actually manage a baseball game in the year 2013 A.D. would be preferable... so there should be many options.

Splendid. Dusty does well to bring a team together I think, but this team is already tightly-knit and loaded so that's not very important IMO. Someone who has a clue how to design a lineup or actually manage a baseball game in the year 2013 A.D. would be preferable... so there should be many options.

I'm more concerned about bringing someone in with some fire. I don't think Dusty was the greatest game manager, but that's about reason #50 in terms of why the team didn't go further this season.

What DID drive me insane was Dusty's shoulder shrugging demeanor.

Reporter: "Hey, Dusty! What do you think about the fact that so-and-so only hit .150 in the month of June!?"

Dusty: "Well. You have some bad months. And you have some good months. We'll just have to let it straighten itself out"

While this may be partly true...sometimes players just slump, it doesn't mean that you just shrug your shoulders and move on. Shake the guys up a little! Sheesh. dash.gif

I recall situations like that where a player would be in like a 2-40something slump and Dusty would be like:

"We're going to let him hit through it." That sh*t use to piss me off.

In the meantime your team just lost a string of games. Good idea.

Fire would be a good thing. There are many players that would benefit from a dose of that under their ass.

I think the primary reason the Reds didn't go farther this season was that they played in a one-game playoff. No matter what the circumstances, that is essentially a giant crapshoot. It turns the entire long season into a roll of the dice.

I don't blame Dusty for the consistent 1st round/WC defeats. I do think the team could be better in regular seasons with someone else though, and I don't disagree that his behavior regarding slumping players was often maddening. Once the playoffs start it's seriously not about who has the most fire, who is the most motivated, or who has the best roster -- it's absolute luck.

The hitting (at times) during the season had many of us wondering how this roster was hitting so poorly.

Heck, heading into the last series the hope was that the bat wouldn't get quiet.

The bats got REAL quiet during that last series and went into the wild card game.

Who's the hitting coach again ?? Jacoby I think.

Yeah, he needs to have a nice conversation about what happened as well.

Sure Baker may not have been the reason the Reds lost the wild card game, but he sure as hell lost the team 4-5 games again this season by not being able to manage a game. Leaving pitchers in to long or pulling them just because of a pitch count only to see the reliever blow it. Riding out a slumping hitter instead of playing bench players for a couple of games, while the player works on his swing/timing in practice or pinch hitting duty. Baker was slow to act and built a lineup card like a dinosaur.

With those four or five extra wins, maybe the Reds have the home field advantage or even better yet win the division and don't have to play one to get in.

I don't care to much who they get, but let's get a little younger at the position. Maybe someone with some newer ideas about the game, will help motivate this team. It seemed like most of the players adopted Bakers "Oh Well" attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody see the report that stated Phillips is being shopped? It seems to indicate that the Reds would like to win the battle for Choo and move Hamilton to Second. I can see long term upside to this, but also see a short term down side.

Getting Hamilton playing time seems to be the most obvious off season move needed along with an upgrade to at least one outfeild position. If they retain Choo and put Hamilton at second they have one more year with Ludwick at LF. I fthey let Choo go and put Hamilton in CF, I'm hoping for an upgrade at LF.

Spoke about this all through the year. I want to see them hold onto Choo.

His presence at the top of the order was significant compared to seasons past.

I think simply replacing Choo with Hamilton is a big mistake.

That being said, replacing Phillips with Hamilton would be an equal, if not bigger mistake.

Replace an all star 2nd baseman with a guy who has never played the 2nd base spot ??

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like a winning idea.

While it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a move with a trade, I can't say as I could get behind that one.

What could I get behind ?? Hard to say, but Ludwick could be moved with little issue.

I mentioned before, but Bruce, Hamilton, and Choo in the outfield would be fine by me.

I hope Hamilton finds a way to have his short time at the plate after being called up translate into season long success.

His play in the minors in regards to hitting would suggest otherwise at this stage in his career.

Sounds like they want him to be up for next year, but there's a risk involved for sure.

Spoke about this all through the year. I want to see them hold onto Choo.

His presence at the top of the order was significant compared to seasons past.

I think simply replacing Choo with Hamilton is a big mistake.

That being said, replacing Phillips with Hamilton would be an equal, if not bigger mistake.

Replace an all star 2nd baseman with a guy who has never played the 2nd base spot ??

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like a winning idea.

While it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a move with a trade, I can't say as I could get behind that one.

What could I get behind ?? Hard to say, but Ludwick could be moved with little issue.

I mentioned before, but Bruce, Hamilton, and Choo in the outfield would be fine by me.

I hope Hamilton finds a way to have his short time at the plate after being called up translate into season long success.

His play in the minors in regards to hitting would suggest otherwise at this stage in his career.

Sounds like they want him to be up for next year, but there's a risk involved for sure.

I dont know much about him, but the article I read said that he played 2nd before they moved him to SS. He sure has been busy learning new defensive positions in the minors. I think I'd rather have Choo in center and move Phillips, if it means Ludwick stays in LF.