Andy Dalton Holding Back Would-Be Contender

ShulaSteakhouse

Even after the win against the Patriots, Jay did some piling on. This may not seem significant to some, but I see a very different thing going on here than previously. Talking about Andy's wonderlik score and his grades in college? A complete CYA move to justify the pick and cover your own ass in the face of what must be some heat within the organization over the performance of Jay's handpicked QB.

I don't like it. I don't like Jay trying to distance himself from Andy's performance. And I don't like the assumption on Jay's part that he has to distance himself from the stumbles. It's part of football, you take a chance on a 2nd rounder and see how it goes.

“It wasn’t very smart,” offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said. “This guy almost got a perfect grade on his Wonderlic (pre-draft test) and straight A’s (in college), then goes and does something really stupid like that. It makes us all look bad.”

“We’re still trying to get him going, and he’s playing solid football,” Gruden said. “But some games he’s going to have to play great. Right now, he’s playing good, but there are always like five or six plays where you go, ‘Andy!’

We Heard He Was Smarter Than This

I read it as an overly candid Jay Gruden sharing a bit too much. What I'd like to know is in what context was the comment made. Was it during a press conference or as an off the cuff response to a reporters leading question? I think that would give more detail into assessing its meaning.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hue Jackson's presence applying pressure to Jay? Sickening. I'll take Jay any day.

Like I said it's just speculation. Most likely Willie is right, Jay just hasn't mastered coachspeak yet. In any event they gave Gruden a three-year extension last year, so it's not likely he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Still...I can't help but wonder what's up with Hue. They've carved out a niche for him for two straight years, even gave him this Marvin's Extra-Special Pony title this season. I guess it's working, though. Marvin's wasted timeouts and challenges seem to be way down this season.

Leadership advice from Pacman Jones.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/adam-jones-not-100-percent-convinced-andy-dalton-can-lead-bengals-to-super-bowl/

Up after the break, tips on staying healthy from Brandon Ghee...

When they said he wasn't 100% convinced, I was expecting maybe he was only 40%, 50%, or maybe a 60% convinced.

Nope, he's 99% convinced Dalton can lead them to the Super Bowl.

How is that a damnation of Dalton ??

That would be like someone saying they are 99% convinced that I will someday be the director at my place of employment.

I would be very pleased with that statement. I haven't heard that mind you, but I would be pleased.

Then again, I would be pleased with a free donut, so expectations aren't crucial right now.

They turned his statement into a negative and i'm sure fans will pile right on.

Coley Harvey has an interesting piece up on the perceived lack of chemistry between Dalton and Green this season. This bit caught my eye:

But the overall numbers suggest that Green is still every bit as productive on balls thrown 10 yards or more.

If Green keeps his current pace, he would catch 29 such passes this season. That would be just three off his career high. Green has also been targeted 28 times on such passes, putting him on pace for 90 targets on balls thrown 10 yards or more, which would far eclipse his previous season-high of 74.

That jibes with my impression over the first few weeks, culminating in the bombs-away! game in Cleveland. Harvey points out that they finally changed things upo last week.

In the Bengals' next game, this past Sunday against New England, Dalton attempted 27 passes. In an effort to prove how much he wants to get away from strictly passing to Green -- he went Green's direction 15 times against the Browns -- Dalton directed 15 of his 27 to his tight ends and running backs. The other 12 went to his receivers. Of those, eight balls were thrown Green's way. He caught five of them.

Wow, imagine that: quit trying to force the ball to one guy, spread it around to your numerous other talented receivers, and watch the passing game improve!

Coley Harvey has an interesting piece up on the perceived lack of chemistry between Dalton and Green this season. This bit caught my eye:

But the overall numbers suggest that Green is still every bit as productive on balls thrown 10 yards or more.

If Green keeps his current pace, he would catch 29 such passes this season. That would be just three off his career high. Green has also been targeted 28 times on such passes, putting him on pace for 90 targets on balls thrown 10 yards or more, which would far eclipse his previous season-high of 74.

That jibes with my impression over the first few weeks, culminating in the bombs-away! game in Cleveland. Harvey points out that they finally changed things upo last week.

In the Bengals' next game, this past Sunday against New England, Dalton attempted 27 passes. In an effort to prove how much he wants to get away from strictly passing to Green -- he went Green's direction 15 times against the Browns -- Dalton directed 15 of his 27 to his tight ends and running backs. The other 12 went to his receivers. Of those, eight balls were thrown Green's way. He caught five of them.

Wow, imagine that: quit trying to force the ball to one guy, spread it around to your numerous other talented receivers, and watch the passing game improve!

Shocking aint it!

A lot of that was on Gruden who said, I called to many throws to Green. This is why I asked in another thread does Dalton listen to everything Gruden says, do they not trust him to audible to other guys, depending on coverage? If that's the case that is dumb. So every time Gruden calls Greens number he goes to him no matter if he is open or not. Sometimes I wonder if that's why he dose not scan the field for the open guy.

Who knows I just hope it changes, he will be a much better QB if he does. Green will get his, if somebody else steps up becomes another star for Dalton.

"I told Andy at the Pro Bowl, 'sometimes if nothing's open, you just have to force it in there'." - Ben Roethlisberger

Then Interception happens and people call for his head,I do wonder if it's andys choice not throw deep or if Coach's aren't calling for it as often. I for one wouldn't mind if he took more risk's purely because with how our defense has been playing.

The one issue with the game against the Patriots I had was the choices both at the end of the first half and in the 4th quarter to run the ball 3 consecutive times and punt from deep in our zone. I wonder whether the coaching staff has lost confidence in Dalton, the one at the end of the half essentually gave the Pats 3 points.

"I told Andy at the Pro Bowl, 'sometimes if nothing's open, you just have to force it in there'." - Ben Roethlisberger

Then Interception happens and people call for his head,I do wonder if it's andys choice not throw deep or if Coach's aren't calling for it as often. I for one wouldn't mind if he took more risk's purely because with how our defense has been playing.

I'm suspicious that you may have just gotten COB-punked, Kaz

I'm suspicious that you may have just gotten COB-punked, Kaz

Wouldn't be first time ;) or the last time :D,Doesn't change how feel though

Dalton:

You could conceivably argue that the league has figured Dalton out after the 1st half of 2011.

Only 3 games out of last 11 where he didn't throw an INT, and in one of those 3 games he had 2 fumbles lost.

He averages 223 yards a game for his career, not a 300 yard game since game 6 of last season.

His turnovers have gone up consistently since the last half of 2011.

His YPC is up this season, which is good, but he needs to play like he did, or better, against GB and NE, every week, if they want to fulfill potential. Too good of a team to be let-down again by a guy who cannot throw downfield (low YPC). If you can't do that consistently, then you can't come back from turnovers in the NFL.

Maybe he's pressing to get better and he'll figure it out still (i.e stop forcing it to one guy and take what the defense gives you, and let the running game/defense win games). I hope so.

Gruden has to call better games too, his offense has been fairly lackluster over-all, since he got here.