GUARANTEE BOY SIGNS 5 YEAR EXTENSION!!!

HoosierCat

off Bengals.com...

Report: Chad extends

11-11-03, 6:20 p.m.

Updated: 11-11-03, 7:45 p.m.

Updated: 11-12-03, 8:35 p.m.

ESPN reported Wednesday night that Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson has agreed to a five-year extension that keeps him in Cincinnati through 2009. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis couldn't be reached to confirm the deal for their third-year wideout who is leading the AFC in receiving yards. Johnson, 25, a second-round pick out of Oregon State in 2001, had been signed through 2004. His 16.8 yards per catch lead all NFL receivers with at least 37 catches.

Edit: Details from Lenny @ espn.com...

The extension, which is for five years, was confirmed by league sources. The Bengals are expected to announce the deal later this week, perhaps as early as Thursday.

While financial details were not yet immediately available, sources said the extension could be worth about $25 million in so-called "new money," the amount that Johnson will receive beyond what his current contract was worth. The eight-figure signing bonus is worth $10 million to $12.5 million.

A second-round pick in the 2001 draft, the 36th player selected overall that year, Johnson originally signed a four-year, $3.09 million deal that included a $1.436 million signing bonus. His base salary for this season is $426,250, but Johnson clearly has outplayed his rookie contract and the Bengals, who have taken a new approach under first-year coach Marvin Lewis, wanted to secure one of their young "nucleus" players for the future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1660418

:o:D:o:D:o:D WOO-HOO!!!

Good stuff! I'm glad to see that. Hopefully this will also help clear a little extra cap space for next year but I won't hold my breath. I'm glad to see the team committed to their players. Chad is committed to the Bengals improvement and I really see him as the linch pin in turning the team into contenders. Man, 2009, that's a long time from now. If that ain't a sign of who is running this team then I don't know what is.

cheers

I applaud this move as well, its obvious we are moving in a new direction and moves like this prove it. Congrats Chad, now keep it up on the field moneybags......

Think this was an excellent move as well. Funny that it came on the heels of Anderson saying he wasn't a team leader and that he was just looking for a pro bowl and a big payday.

Maybe now that he's got the big payday he'll be start to be the type of player that does inspire the rest of the guys on the team. After all, they are going to be together for some time it seems. Better get used to it and make the most of it for everybodys benefit.

Funny that it came on the heels of Anderson saying he wasn't a team leader and that he was just looking for a pro bowl and a big payday.

Yup, Big "Mouth" Willie strikes again. Hey, Willie, why don't you take one of those extra-large towels the Bengals bought for your wide-load butt and stuff it in your yap?

Funny that it came on the heels of Anderson saying he wasn't a team leader and that he was just looking for a pro bowl and a big payday.

Yup, Big "Mouth" Willie strikes again. Hey, Willie, why don't you take one of those extra-large towels the Bengals bought for your wide-load butt and stuff it in your yap?

There's an article on the site about Andersons statement to the press. In it, he says he told CJ before he did it. According to what he's saying, he told CJ ....... watch this. I'm going to have some fun with the press and give them and KC something else to think about. He said it was funny too because he knew nothing bout the pending contract.

For his part Chad says he's out of the prediction business because " someone older " told him how it could look from a different point of view, and he thought they were right.

NOW ....... get this. Corey Dillon says that he may not be ready to go this week, but he'll definitely be ready for the trip to San Diego. Says that Lewis has taken really good care of him and that whether he can suit up for the game Sunday or not, he'll be on the sidelines to cheer on Rudi.

What the hell is going on here ??????????????????? Are these the same people that have said and done all that other stuff ?? You'd swear to god that you were watching a sleight of hand act insted of a football team. I read and listen to everything I can get a hold of every day, and I have absolutley no idea what is going on. I'm open to opinions and interpretations FROM MY FELLOW BENGALS FANS about everybody on the team sprouting new attitudes.

KC fans would be better advised to attend to the DV soap opera / sob / love story. I'd be a LOT more worried about that than anything going on here if I were them.

I've been wondering about this team & its coach playing mind games ever since Dillon's first goofy outburst. If Willy really was trying to present the image of a team in disarray over Chad's mouth, he kind of blew it by saying so, right? Unless, of course, he thinks that they think that he thinks...:D

And yeah, I loved the report about Dillon having a good practice this week. If nothing else, the bengals are at least good copy this year.

you know, the best part of this whole deal has been his responses to questions. Things like, "It didn't really matter, I wasn't going anywhere anyways, and already saying he's ready for another 5 year extension in 2009..." I barely even remember what CD said anymore.

Did you notice that in coach Lewis' press confrence that no one asked about Dillon ?? Lewis gave his status at the beginning, and his name was never mentioned again.

Now I don't know if that was because the coach had told them ahead of time or because they werent' interested and didn't want to ask. Your barely remember what he said comment made me think of it.