More pain in the secondary

TJJackson

Speaking of pain in the secondary, Iloka fined $15k for Finley hit. BS IMO.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/24/iloka-gets-fined-15000-for-hit-on-finley/

Reduced to $10k on appeal.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/2099/bengals-nfl-george-iloka-jermichael-finley-10000

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be very surprised if Hall makes it to the field in stripes in 14. Very surprised.

It's amazing what level of medical attention/treatment professional sports players get. Wasn't it John Riggins of the Redkins who had his leg snapped (ankle up by his knee scenario??) Initially thought he would never play again and never walk without a stick or something ..... 6 months later back playing football !!! Whilst he may not have been the same player (??? I really don't know the before/after feeling on this) i'm using this example to underline that players can bounce back from seemingly damning injuries to continue to play ..... lets hope Hall fits into that category

I will be very surprised if Hall makes it to the field in stripes in 14. Very surprised.

Why? It was the other Achilles, not a re-tear of the same Achilles. No reason why he shouldn't have the same rehab success with this one, no?

Why? It was the other Achilles, not a re-tear of the same Achilles. No reason why he shouldn't have the same rehab success with this one, no?

Yeah, I don't see why he can't bounce back from this as well.

That said, last time it took about half the season for Leon to round back into form. Combine that with his age (he just turned 29 a few days ago) and that Newman and Jones will be 36 and 31 next September, and corner shows up as a definite offseason need. I've seen Ifo Ekpre-Olomo mocked to them in the first, whic makes sense because we are short a guy in the impossible-to-spell-his-name category.

So, uhm, have we signed a corner to play this week?

We should at the very least get a guy who can take over some special teams duties for Kirkpatrick and/or Ghee, and optimally, a guy who can take corner snaps when/if Ghee or Kirk get injured (and there's a history there, ya know)

I can't believe I am still asking about this on Thursday

Why the hell aren't the Bengals making a move?

I mean, i haven't even heard that they've tried out a guy

Yes, true. However, are you comfortable with paying the guy pretty large $ coming back from his second, albeit other, Achilles tear? How has anyone ever done with a tear on each, and come back and been productive?

I guess it just strikes me that he could be seen as a big injury risk, tied to some big money, with an uncertain ability to reach his previous level of play.

I guess it just strikes me that he could be seen as a big injury risk, tied to some big money, with an uncertain ability to reach his previous level of play.

We won't really know until he gets out of his rehab and gets back on the field. Way too early to throw in the towel on a productive 1st-rounder.

Besides, what kind of money are we talking about next season and what would be the financial hit if he were cut? And, even if he isn't his old self, he'll still most likely be better than many of the other options out there.

We won't really know until he gets out of his rehab and gets back on the field. Way too early to throw in the towel on a productive 1st-rounder.

Besides, what kind of money are we talking about next season and what would be the financial hit if he were cut? And, even if he isn't his old self, he'll still most likely be better than many of the other options out there.

Going in his favor is that his playing style is predicated more on physicality and smarts than it is predicated on speed. Also, there's Mike Brown's renowned loyalty. Hall will be a Bengal again next season, or whenever he gets healthy.

They will simply bring up CLH, or whatever the initial are, from the practice squad.

Like it or not, they aren't bringing in anyone at this point in time of the season.

Every minute they wait to do the transaction, they risk losing him to some other team.

If they already know he's the guy this week, he should already be on the active roster

Besides, what kind of money are we talking about next season and what would be the financial hit if he were cut?

Hall is scheduled to make $6.9 million in salary and bonus next season. Cutting him would still leave $3.6 million in dead money on the books, so strictly from a cap standpoint the benefits of letting him go are modest at best.

The bigger issue is that he's hurt, so as I understand the rules the team can't just cut him right now without reaching an injury settlement. How that would impact both actual money spent and the cap I don't know.

Hall should be given time to show where he's at when he comes back. He has earned that right and respect. If he's not the same guy and can no longer keep up, cut him or demote him, but not until they know for sure what they still have in him. THe money shouldn't even be a question since, as far as I know, our cap numbers are good and cutting him would only have a marginal impact.

All that said, we need to draft another CB. Glasspatrick will have his shot to prove himself a starter but even if he comes out and plays great, we are going to need more depth at the position. Unless of course some one like Lewis-Harris also steps up and plays like a solid starter.

Also, I would argue that the end of the year he returned from the last one was the best he EVER played the pick 6's against Pit and Houston and his over all play during that stretch after the first surgery was excellent

He lost at least half a step with the first surgery, it would be bad if he loses another half step or more. Maybe he could still play FS with that speed but a CB needs to be at least as fast as he was when he went down. He has always had a tendency to get beat by speed guys anyway. hopefully Kirkpatrick and Ghee step up and the team gets another youngster next draft or FA with some starting potential. I don't want to be in the position of relying on Hall and having him not ready or worse not good enough anymore. Remember Hall, Newman and Crocker are all getting old for the CB position, also.