More pain in the secondary

TJJackson

Speaking of pain in the secondary, Iloka fined $15k for Finley hit. BS IMO.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/24/iloka-gets-fined-15000-for-hit-on-finley/

I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it as well.

I expected the flag and the fine for Iloka.

Maybe some see it differently, but he took a shot to the head from a defender.

Not too many times will that not get flagged.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of pain in the secondary, Iloka fined $15k for Finley hit. BS IMO.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/24/iloka-gets-fined-15000-for-hit-on-finley/

I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it as well.

I expected the flag and the fine for Iloka.

Maybe some see it differently, but he took a shot to the head from a defender.

Not too many times will that not get flagged.

It was one of those bang-bang plays. I didn't see any helmet to helmet contact and it was a glancing blow. But yeah in today's NFL its punishable by death...

Iloka's salary this year is a bit more than $520,000. Divided by 17 weeks that's a little over $30,500 a week. I would not be surprised if that's the reason why the fine is lower than the usual minimum, there may be a half-a-check limit.

Painful but IIRC all the fines go to charity so it's probably tax deductible, too.

Looks like Crocker is back and I like it. I know some will hate this move, but this defense turned it around last year when he signed. I wonder if they feel better with him playing Nickle then Taylor Mays.

I've never been a big Crocker fan, but he certainly pulled his weight when we had to bring him back in last year. If he plays at the same level he did last year, I'm all for it.

I don't think he is starting, I think he is hear to back up safety, and will probably play some Nickle downs as well. If the safety spot starts to struggle then I can see him play. He will be good for Iloka, he even said he learned a lot last year from him. That's why this move makes a lot of sense, not to mention his ability to play two positions.

GIMME A LINEMAN still holds true for me, but I think we need to draft at least 2 corners in the 2014 draft, with one of them in the first two rounds

I want to see them address the LB spot within the first two rounds as well.

I would like to see them hold onto Anthony Collins just in case. He's a better option than a rookie. Cost will determine i'm sure.

CB would certainly be alright by me, especially if Williams and Iloka improve as the season goes at safety.

I didn't see Iloka do anything more than go by Finley. I didn't see him reach, swipe or anything else for that matter.

What did happen was that he delivered a blow to Finley's head. Whether intentional or not, you knew that fine was coming.

Looks like Crocker is back and I like it. I know some will hate this move, but this defense turned it around last year when he signed. I wonder if they feel better with him playing Nickle then Taylor Mays.

Can't hate a zimmer move,If that's who he thinks is best man for the job then he's the best man for the job.

Collins will unfortunately want an opportunity to start, which barring an injury to our starters at OT he probably isn't going to get here

and yes, starter money

so, uhm, doubtful we keep him :-(

but there's always that 3rd round compensatory selection we'll pick up for the following year when someone signs him to a fat starters contract

so there's that, at least

Iloka got screwed - but I suppose they're invoking the "defenseless defender" rule. He simply laid his shoulder pad into Finley's, and it was a good football move IMO, as it forced a legit turnover.

I thought he held-up and was going after the ball, not the guy's head. Stupid.

Not having Hall right now sucks, in particular because who knows what's going to happen to Pac Man, and Kirkpatrick is looking bust-like.

So I went back to watch this play again and Iloka clearly strikes Finley in the head. He wasn't going for the ball at all. No swipe, nothing.

I don't think it was intentional and a result of him trying to pull up and Finley going down, but it was a hit to the head nonetheless.

The hit caused an incomplete pass, but had they thrown a flag, which they could have, it would have turned the tide of that GB drive.

Hope these guys heal up quick over the next few days, because Cleveland has some talent at the WR position.

Hopefully our front four make it hard for Hoyer to get the ball to them.

and Kirkpatrick is looking bust-like.

At this point I would say that, sadly, there's no "-like" about it. It doesn't get a lot bustier. To review, out of a potential 20 games so far, he has appeared in just five and started precisely zero. In those five games, he has amassed a whopping six tackles.

For this, he has already collected approximately $5.1 million in salary and bonuses, and will make $780,000 and change more this season.

And just for the heck of it, let's toss in Brandon Ghee, who in three years has played in 19 games and piled up an incredible nine tackles. For this he has already collected about $1 million.

So by my math, that's a first-round pick + a third-round pick + ~$6 million to date = 15 tackles. Yuck.

and Kirkpatrick is looking bust-like.

At this point I would say that, sadly, there's no "-like" about it. It doesn't get a lot bustier. To review, out of a potential 20 games so far, he has appeared in just five and started precisely zero. In those five games, he has amassed a whopping six tackles.

For this, he has already collected approximately $5.1 million in salary and bonuses, and will make $780,000 and change more this season.

And just for the heck of it, let's toss in Brandon Ghee, who in three years has played in 19 games and piled up an incredible nine tackles. For this he has already collected about $1 million.

So by my math, that's a first-round pick + a third-round pick + ~$6 million to date = 15 tackles. Yuck.

That he was hurt when they drafted him should have been an indicator.

Kirkpatrick should sort out. He will overcome these issues, here's hoping.

If he flounders through this year, he will qualify as a real bust.

I hope he bounces back, too. It happened with Gilligan, after all. But when for a second straight year they have to pull a guy off his couch four weeks into the season because they used first and third round picks on two guys who can't stay out of the training room...it's just frustrating.

I hope he bounces back, too. It happened with Gilligan, after all. But when for a second straight year they have to pull a guy off his couch four weeks into the season because they used first and third round picks on two guys who can't stay out of the training room...it's just frustrating.

terribly terribly frustrating. just think, we could have actually drafted a center or even a higher ranking safety

Yes, it's frustrating for sure.

But, in the grand scheme of things, the Bengals haev done pretty well for themselves. It's just unfortunate that these two came at the same position.

http://www.bengals.com/team/injuryreport.html

Hall, Kirkpatrick, Nelson, and Pollak listed as doubtful.

Ghee, Newman, BJGE, Collins, Harrison, listed as probable.