State of the Offense

skyline

Thoughts?

Do COB and I need to have the Great Dalton Debate 2.0?

I was a bit discouraged about the inconsistency so far, and clearly the turnovers.

But, on the flip side, I thought this tidbit from Hobs today was VERY encouraging.

In three games the Bengals have six touchdown drives of at least 80 yards and they're on pace to pass the 19 they had combined in the previous two seasons with nine in 2011 and 10 in 2013.

I think it comes down to Dalton using better vision. When they focus on AJ, they seem to be too predictable and not successful. When Dalton spread the ball around, the talent at the other spots becomes obvious. AJ will get his numbers but they have to be more balanced and leverage the other assets on the field.

Dalton is still developing. How far he can go is the question. This year is very important and I'd like to see him (and the team) succeed, despite my fundamental opinion that he is limited in key areas. How happy I will be to be proven wrong, and eat a big crow sandwich.

Overall, he's got to exhibit the decision making and vision yet to consistently grind off these long drives, and they are on pace to almost double the number from 2012.

Some things that stand out to me.

Gio is a difference maker Dalton didn't have at his disposal last season.

Both Sanu and Jones are nice to have and appear to be getting better.

Two TE sets with Gresham and Eifert are a QB's dream come true.

So, getting Sanu healthy and the addition of Gio and Eifert are HUGE for Dalton.

I don't think this should really come as a surprise to anyone.

In regards to stats, we could go on and on in regards to Dalton.

What I do find interesting though is that everyone wants to bash him for throwing dink and dunk totally dimissing the intent of a west coast offense.

However, you will find Dalton at #13, throwing 7.52 yards per attempt. Highest average ?? Michael Vick at 9.14 yards per attempt.

Of the 12 QB's that throw it further than Dalton per attempt, 6 currently sport losing records.

THAT BEING SAID:

I have been disappointed in the inconsistency I have seen in offense and putting the ball on the ground.

I won't say it's all on Dalton because many players have fumbled the ball away on offense or played a part in an INT.

Dalton has had issues with overthrowing the ball, but is currently the 6th most accurate QB to this point in the season.

I see this offense only getting better and should they not be so up and down from one quarter to the next, sooner rather than later, they will be dangerous. Defensive coordinators are already trying to figure out how to defend all the weapons they possess and the Bengals keep mixing it up from one week to the next in regards to what they show in their sets. It is a real plus to have an offense that can do that.

Overall, I am happy with what we've seen to this point !!!

I think Andy is as good as any second tier QB in the league. He's probably not going to win a shootout with the likes of Manning or Brees, but he made the plays he needed to make in the second half. We are a typical AFCN team; dominant D and an offense that is talented enough to make plays run by a QB who isn't a star but also isn't awful.

Edit: If we clean up the special teams play a bit and stop this turnover business, I think we can hang with any team in this league. As the North has proved over and over, you don't have to have an elite QB or record to dominate in the postseason.

Fumbles are my biggest concern on offense at the moment. Eight fumbles in two games against the NFCN is ridiculous. To some extent it's a function of the WCO-style offense they are running. If your passing game is predicated on short, high-percentage stuff that your pass-catchers are going to take for YAC, guys are going to occasionally lose the ball fighting for extra yards (looks at Jermaine Gresham). And occasionally a defender is just going to make the perfect hit and jar the ball loose. But there were times in yesterday's game when I am watching receivers running with the ball and they have it just hanging out there, not tucked away. Ball security has got to be a major emphasis this week and going forward. If they can stop the fumbles, this offense could be very good.

I love what I've seen out of Gio so far. Eifert seems like more of a work in progress, but he has had his moments. Sanu and Jones have been solid overall with a couple flashes of brilliance. AJ is AJ. Dalton is fine. O-line play has been good overall, though not without lapses.

I see this offense only getting better and should they not be so up and down from one quarter to the next, sooner rather than later, they will be dangerous. Defensive coordinators are already trying to figure out how to defend all the weapons they possess and the Bengals keep mixing it up from one week to the next in regards to what they show in their sets. It is a real plus to have an offense that can do that.

Overall, I am happy with what we've seen to this point !!!

Spot on.

It is easy to forget how young the team is. Now in year 3 of the new offensive regime, with the new shiny weapons, they are and will be even more dangerous.

Fumbles are my biggest concern on offense at the moment. Eight fumbles in two games against the NFCN is ridiculous. To some extent it's a function of the WCO-style offense they are running. If your passing game is predicated on short, high-percentage stuff that your pass-catchers are going to take for YAC, guys are going to occasionally lose the ball fighting for extra yards (looks at Jermaine Gresham). And occasionally a defender is just going to make the perfect hit and jar the ball loose. But there were times in yesterday's game when I am watching receivers running with the ball and they have it just hanging out there, not tucked away. Ball security has got to be a major emphasis this week and going forward. If they can stop the fumbles, this offense could be very good.

I love what I've seen out of Gio so far. Eifert seems like more of a work in progress, but he has had his moments. Sanu and Jones have been solid overall with a couple flashes of brilliance. AJ is AJ. Dalton is fine. O-line play has been good overall, though not without lapses.

They need to get Eifert the ball. I would like to see them work these two TE even more. I would love to see these guys catch passes up the seam. They TEs can be Dalton's best friend, I think Gruden needs to find the best way to use them. I think it can only get better from here on out, stop making stupid mistakes, and they will be ok.

Some stats so far this season from profootball reference.

• Bengals O is 14th in yards and 10th in points overall.
  • Passing they are 10th in yards, 15th in TDs and 14th in picks.
  • Rushing they are 20th in yards and 4th in TDs.
  • They are 19th in % of drives ending in a score (30.6%).
  • They are 4th in % of drives ending in a turnover (19.4%).

I've been impressed with the ability to drive the ball the length of the field. That 95 yard drive in the game yesterday to cut it to 30-27 was a thing of beauty. The dumb mistakes is what frustrates me. Penalties, putting the ball on the ground, INT's, etc. I believe that stuff will get better. To me, the talent on this offense just jumps out of the television at you. There are so many weapons that this offense almost can't fail, IF they don't make mistakes. I would like to see Eifert involved more, that's my only complaint.

One other possibly interesting (time will tell) note about the 2013 Bengals: After three games, the team is 2-0 at PBS and 0-1 on the road. This has not been the pattern over the previous two years. Coming into 2013, the Andy Dalton-led Bengals were road warriors, going 11-5 in away games in 2011 and 2012. Meanwhile, they were a pedestrian 8-8 at home the last two seasons.

when the momentum is against us, this offense is a bunch of Cowardly Lions. 3 and outs, and crazy turnovers.

but when the defense makes a momentum-changing play, then these guys can turn into Tigers, and can indeed score from anywhere on the field.

before next game, the Wizard of Zimm simply needs to give the offense a medal:

"you offensive players are a victim or disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate delusion that simply because we have given up points, that you cannot also score. There are offenses less talented than you, which can change a game at the drop of a hat. They have one thing that you haven't got! Awards! Therefore, for meritorious conduct, extraordinary valor, conspicuous bravery, I award you the Triple Cross. You are now a member of the Legion of Elite NFL Offenses!"

or, Zimm could just threaten them. either approach would probably work.

when the momentum is against us, this offense is a bunch of Cowardly Lions. 3 and outs, and crazy turnovers.

This doesn't make much sense. The momentum was certainly not against them when they were winning 14-0 and had the ball.

And, it was certainly not FOR them when they were pinned on their own 5 yard line and proceeded to drive it 95 yards for the TD.

This offense goes 3 and out, because that's what offenses do. You can't score on every drive.

The turnovers on the other hand...inexcusable.

The momentum was certainly not against them when they were winning 14-0 and had the ball.

we had a turnover, which stopped our momentum. Three more turnovers then ensued. This offense does whatever the current momentum says that they should.

And, it was certainly not FOR them when they were pinned on their own 5 yard line and proceeded to drive it 95 yards for the TD.

big INT gave us the ball on five, blocked the Green Bay momentum.

I dunno. I do like the Wizard of Oz Riff (and I definitely want to check out the upcoming Imax 3D release, early reviews have been glowing) but "momentum" is a bit too airy an explanation. I don't doubt it's an element, but what I've seen is just a lot of sloppiness with the ball. I think defenses are seeing it on film, too, and targeting guys for extra attention. For example, how many times now do we see defenses try to stand Jermaine Gresham up when he has the ball? They try to stop him but keep him upright and send in guys to claw at the ball.

Watch this weekend. I guarantee you the Browns D will be clawing, punching and trying to knock out every ball, because they know the Bengals are fumble-prone.

I dunno. I do like the Wizard of Oz Riff (and I definitely want to check out the upcoming Imax 3D release, early reviews have been glowing) but "momentum" is a bit too airy an explanation.

Yep.

I suppose their momentum to take the opening possession down the field for a TD came from the lack of Katy Perry blasting over the loudspeakers.

It's a lot easier to credit and blame momentum than it is to credit or blame the talent on the field. Unless princeton's point is to say that the Bengals are so talent neutral (or deficient) that they are nothing more than reeds swaying in the wind.

on the contrary; I suspect that the talent is a plus, and confidence is the minus.

until a couple of years ago, I coached a very talented group of high school soccer players-- won the state, made the national championship tournament a couple of times. More talented than almost everyone. However, when things went against them (referee's decision, unlucky bounce, cheap goal), they were half as good as when things were going their way. It's not uncommon for kids of that age.

I think that the Bengals offense looks a little immature, and plays like they expect bad things to happen, if bad things are already happening.

with success, that could change. So I'd keep publicizing Dalton's QBR in the fourth quarter. I personally think that it's an empty number until he does it in a more pressured environment. But-- make them believe that good things are happening late in the game with this team, and good things may indeed follow.