Trent Richardson to Indy for 1st round pick

rwjcgc

They are obviously banking on next years draft.

If I heard correctly, they now have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds next year with 2 in the first round.

While I think it's laughable this season, they will at least have the opportunity to improve in 2014.

I still think they should have gotten more than a single pick.

Could you imagine trading AJ Green for a first ??

I know it's not quite the same, but you get my point.

Wow, I bet Trent is celebrating. He goes from a POS organization to one that has gone to the playoffs regularly for a long time and look like contenders to do it again this year. I am happy to not have to face him twice a year, he manhandled our D on some runs last year.

Kiper just blabbed on ESPN: Good for Cleveland because they couldn't block for him anyway, due in part to bad passing game that no D respects, so he was going to spend the next two seasons running into a brick wall. They get McGahee instead, he does the same job, and they pick up a first for next season.

My opinion: Classic new GM move. Gut the team, get rid of old regime's players and start over. You get the players you want, and you buy yourself an extra couple years as you "rebuild". One possible glitch - you better hit on those draft picks or your sunk. A very real possibility in today's NFL.

How do you go into work today if you're Rob Chudzinski? I mean, here you are, brand new head coach of the Cleveland Browns. You have spent every day since the start of rookie camps telling your guys that the goal is a championship, that they have to come together as a team, fight through adversity, all the stuff that coaches say...and then two games -- two games!!! -- into the season the FO says, "awww, fukkit. We're done. Let's start the third-string QB and trade last year's No. 3 overall pick for a mid- to-late round first next year."

What do you say? "Hey guys, you know all that stuff I've been saying for six months? Yeah, it was all bullsht, we're going nowhere this year." He has to know that every player with an ounce of talent was on the phone to their agent last night saying, "get me the fuk out of here!!!" Anyone brought in by the previous regime now knows they are headed out the door, and even the noobs can see a flood of new picks coming in the door next April.

How do you un-wreck that train?

I remember hearing a report yesterday stating how before Lombardi took the GM job there and he was still working at NFL Network, how he didn't like Richardson coming out of Alabama. Lombardi had made statements about he didn't think much of him and didn't view him as a first round RB.

While you might say good for the Browns, I simply think they gave him away. There is simply no way you move up in the first round to take a player and then turn around and simply get another 1st round pick. Not even a late round pick ?? Maybe a conditional depending on his production with his new team ?? Nothing else ??

Yep, gave him away.

There are also no guarantees with how those picks are going to turn out.

They took Richardson and Weeden the last time they had two first rounders.

Oh well, the draft should at least be exciting for the Browns fans.

Getting through 2013 will be the tough part.

I would hope to go 0-16.

My guess

The Colts tanked a season to "Suck for Luck" and lo and behold, they got Luck, and they are now a contender again

I call this - although it doesn't quite have the same chutzpah - "Suck for Manziel"

They will use the other high picks to give him a WR or TE (or three) to pair with Josh Gordon (who is an ass but also a good WR) and some OL help.

I bet they will target at least one veteran OL (re-sign Collins soon, please) in the free agency period to protect Manziel as well

Conventional wisdom right now -- and remember the draft hype machine isn't even warmed up yet -- is that the target is Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater. Thus the campaign to "Tank for Teddy," "Get Slaughtered for Bridgewater," or, my personal favorite and one that must be rendered in all caps, "SH-T THE BED FOR TED!"

Of course, Bridgewater is a junior and if I'm him and there's any chance I could end up in Cleveland, I stay in school. Especially with the rookie wage scale, now you don't even get an obscene contract as a consolation prize for being drafted by a bottom-feeder.

I have no doubt that the Browns' FO will waste these 2014 picks.

My guess

The Colts tanked a season to "Suck for Luck" and lo and behold, they got Luck, and they are now a contender again

I call this - although it doesn't quite have the same chutzpah - "Suck for Manziel"

They will use the other high picks to give him a WR or TE (or three) to pair with Josh Gordon (who is an ass but also a good WR) and some OL help.

I bet they will target at least one veteran OL (re-sign Collins soon, please) in the free agency period to protect Manziel as well

How about "Mismanage for Manziel" that sounds better to me.

Joe Thomas has to be kicking himself for signing that extension a couple years ago. He's a prisoner in the Mistake until after the 2017 season.

Their owner, in spite of his claims to the contrary, is going to get indicted by the feds. Then the NFL is going to make him sell the Browns. Then the new owner is going to fire Lombardi. Then this whole process will be repeated. My sister has season tickets to the Browns and is as devoted a Browns fan as there is. It's not even fun to call her and taunt her anymore. Just pathetic.

I feel for the Brown Fans this decision was RETARDED IMO,I understand you want franchise QB and you guys were already on your way to top 10 pick.Use future pick's in next years draft if want to move up....Well it is a quarterback league plenty of Great quarterbacks coming out of later rounds...Seriously look at 2011

Cam Newton - Panthers one biggest jokes in the NFL

Jake Locker - Hasn't done much yet,Throws about as many yards as tebow does.

Christian Ponder - Again hasn't done much put up "Okay" numbers 2012 but has started season 2TD 4INT

Blaine Gabbert - Lolololololololol the city that you play for rather watch Tim Tebow lose games.

I feel like if they wanted to trade Trent they should have atleast Got some conditional round picks like 4th that could go up to 2nd if Trent rush's over 1200 yards and scores over 10 TD's.

Joe Thomas has to be kicking himself for signing that extension a couple years ago. He's a prisoner in the Mistake until after the 2017 season.

All Honesty if their giving up for next 2 years,They may as well trade him maybe they'll get more then a 1st round pick this time around.

There are also no guarantees with how those picks are going to turn out.

They took Richardson and Weeden the last time they had two first rounders.

Ya that's thing their Flushing(get it turds?) two first round picks from just a year ago down the Toilet.

Not a fan of weeden but I think would be smarter keep him around well they find their Franchise QB

Love the new sig, kaz! :sure:

Since I had some extra time today I took a quick spin through Browns GM Mike Lombardi's history with first round picks. Here's what I found:

1992-95 Cleveland Browns Director of Player Personnel

RB Tommy Vardell – “Touchdown Tommy” had 1,070 yards and 3 TDs in 4 years in Cleveland BUST

C Steve Everitt – solid starter for 3 years, left for Philly after Browns moved to Baltimore

DB Antonio Langham – amassed 12 picks in four years before shuffling off to SF BUST

WR Derrick Alexander – Productive WR with 3,685 yards and 19 TDs in 4 years, left for KC

LB Craig Powell – Lasted just 3 years in NFL (2 in Cleve/Balt, 1 as Jet), total stats: 1 tackle BUST

1996 St. Louis Rams “advisor”

RB Lawrence Phillips – traded to Miami halfway through his second year BUST BUST BUST

WR Eddie Kennison – 1,500 yards and 10 TDs in St. Louis, much bigger star after 2001 in KC

1997-98 Philadelphia Eagles consultant/Director of Player Personnel

DE Jon Harris – exited league after 24 games and 2 sacks BUST

T Tra Thomas – 11 year starter in Philly, missed just 6 games in his career

1999-2007 Oakland Raiders Senior Personnel Executive

T Matt Stinchcomb – exited league after 5 years, 36 starts BUST

K Sebastian Janikowski – future HOF kicker

DB Derrick Gibson – exited league after 5 years, 3 picks BUST

DB Phillip Buchanon – lasted just 3 years and 11 picks in Oakland BUST

LB Napoleon Harris – lasted 3 years and 182 tackles in Oakland BUST

DB Nnamdi Asomugha – 7 year player, 5 year starter, in Oakland, 271 tackles, 11 picks

DE Tyler Brayton – 6 sacks in 5 years in Oakland BUST

DB Fabian Washington – 3 years, 5 picks in Oakland BUST

DB Michael Huff – 7 year starter in Oakland, 11 picks, now a Raven

QB JaMarcus Russell – should disqualify Lombardi from ever holding an NFL job again BUST BUST BUST

RB Darren McFadden – 3,500 yards and 19 scores in six years counting 2013. Just 1 1,000+ season.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey – drop-prone WR, 2,071 yards and 11 TDs in 4 years in Oakland. Now a Colt BUST

Work with a Browns fan that says he will now be rooting for the Bengals. He has waited to long for a rebuild in Cleveland. It sure is nice, not being the retarded franchise in the state anymore. I wonder how many fans the Stains just lost? I could see a lot of disgruntled fans giving up on them after this, or somewhere during this season.

Wow Lombardi hasn't had great success in the first round.

That can't make you feel real optimistic with what will come next year, as a Browns fan.

I saw Holmgren ripped them as well. I tend to agree with him on that one as well.

I can't say as I usually feel bad for another teams fans, but wow, it's hard NOT to feel for them.