Packers @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

A couple injuries to keep an eye on headed into the Green Bay game. Geathers left last night with an elbow injury, and Kirkpatrick was knocked out by a strained hammy (though he did manage to notch the 44th and 45th snaps of his storied NFL career).

Bengals opened as 1-point dogs, that could change after last night. It probably won't get as bad as this, though.

For the Pack, it doesn't look like the Bengals will see Eddie Lacy, who is expected to be out with a concussion.

This will be a very interesting game. Our offense is going to have to put together a lot of long and consistent drives to keep Green Bay's offense off the field.

It looks like we shouldn't have much trouble containing their running game, but Rodgers will sift us all day if we can't pressure him. Best bet is for us to go back to point #1...as long as our offense is on the field, theirs can't be.

I agree, keeping Rogers on the sideline as much as possible would be ideal. But I could see this one turning into a shootout. Our defense is better but if they struggled to stop Cutler, Rogers will eat their lunch, one player at a time. OTOH Green Bay's defense sucks. If Good Andy shows up next week and Jay remembers that he has running backs on the roster, they could put up some points.

Green Bay does not have a matchup nightmare like Brandon Marshall. Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones are nice players but Marshall is a BEAST. I see the Bengals doing very well against the Packers I am more confident about this game than I was agains tthe Bears or the Steelers. The Packers have a very bad O-Line and as long as they get too aggressive I think they can have Rodgers on his back all game long.

This game actually worries me more than the others and I chalked it up as a loss early on.

While they may not have a Marshall, they have Rogers throwing to 3 better than average WR's. They are dangerous.

I'm not worried about their running game or o-line, as I think we should be able to apply pressure all game long.

My concern is more along the lines of the quick drop and release from Rogers.

Our LB's in coverage is also another concern for me in the game.

The Bengals need to play controlled football again and eat the clock.

I like the thought of if our offense is on the field, theirs can't be.

Still can't say as I like the matchup all that much even though i'm looking forward to it.

This game actually worries me more than the others and I chalked it up as a loss early on.

While they may not have a Marshall, they have Rogers throwing to 3 better than average WR's. They are dangerous.

I'm not worried about their running game or o-line, as I think we should be able to apply pressure all game long.

My concern is more along the lines of the quick drop and release from Rogers.

Our LB's in coverage is also another concern for me in the game.

The Bengals need to play controlled football again and eat the clock.

I like the thought of if our offense is on the field, theirs can't be.

Still can't say as I like the matchup all that much even though i'm looking forward to it.

The Packers are extremely one dimensional. Yes Rodgers is an incredible QB and yes Nelson, Cobb, and James are very good WRs (particularly Nelson) but I believe in our defensive coaching staff's ability to shut down a one dimensional offense not matter how good that dimension is. I think we have the talent and the discipline to accomplish this particularly at home. Of course I could be totally off base and we could lose by 35....who knows.

I like the matchup against the run and in the pass rush. They have to perform up to expectations in both areas though or Rodgers will slaughter them. It's pretty simple I think. Even if we control the ball for 35 minutes again, the Packers will score plenty if we can't get pressure and contain the QB.

My gut tells me that the Bengals will need to pile up some points to win this, so the big question for me is, did we see the offense start to gel in the second half last night? I think it gets lost that our skill players haven't really spent a lot of time together on the field. Eifert and Gio are rookies, and injuries meant that Green, Jones and Sanu barely saw the field at the same time last year. They looked to me like they were finally getting into a groove late last night when the offense basically took over the game and hogged the ball. If they play like they did in the second half next Sunday, they'll come out with a win.

I have to work this weekend, so I will only get to listen to the game, so maybe that will give them luck.

I think the biggest thing in this game will be if the bengals can get pass rush. Not allowing Rodgers out of the pocket or to run will be huge. The Bears won that game because Cutler found ways out of the pocket, they can not allow Rodgers to do so. They need sacks, they had ok pressure the last couple weeks, but now they need to start getting sacks.

The DBs also need to start turning there heads while the ball is in the air. They are in the right position they need to start playing the ball. Ints and batted balls will happen more.

I agree with the keep Rodgers on the bench, run the ball and run it some more. I'm hoping Dalton is more consistant down the road here, he had wide open guys and was missing them like crazy, the score could have been better yesterday, if he made the throws.

I hope to continue seeing more and more touches for Gio as the season goes along.

I simply can't believe you have a player with his ability only getting 9 touches.

There was one run yesterday where Gio looks to have gotten lost running laterally behind our o-line.

You could see the Steelers wondering where the hell he went and then he popped out the side of the o-line for a gain.

He uses he size to his advantage in situations like that.

Here's to hoping the o-line, BJGE and Gio have the same success this coming Sunday !!!

I agree, keeping Rogers on the sideline as much as possible would be ideal. But I could see this one turning into a shootout. Our defense is better but if they struggled to stop Cutler, Rogers will eat their lunch, one player at a time. OTOH Green Bay's defense sucks. If Good Andy shows up next week and Jay remembers that he has running backs on the roster, they could put up some points.

A fun note from JG on Andy Dalton, our hip 'n' cool read option QB.

Speaking of Andy, I made the mistake of visiting the official boards last night. Did you know Dalton sucks because on Monday night he threw six pass which could possibly have been intercepted, if they were playing a better defense and those defensive personnel were in different positions and if the made successful plays on the ball and if Great Cthulhu had risen from his sunken city of R'lyeh to swallow the souls of mankind?

Yeah, me neither. But apparently that's the newest criteria. Andy must not only not throw picks, but now must not throw any balls that could be picked in any possible universe. Sigh...

Jay gruden keeps me mystified and in a bad way. Could it he because he was a qb in arena and at u of l that he goes so pass heavy? Or does he have no confidence in our run blocking?

I'm sure his QB background inclines him toward the pass, but I think it's more that (to steal a phrase from wraith) he gets lost playing the matchups.

Look at last year's playoff game. He was so enthralled with the possibilities of getting mismatches with Gresham that he totally ignored Green for the entire first half. Before Monday night I think he looked at Pitt's iffy secondary and struggles to get pressure and lost his sht over the chance to go all "bombs away Bratkowski" on them.

He just needs to quit overthinking the match-ups and let his talent do what it does best.

Hoosier, your post makes me ask, how many times has Eifert been a target in the redzone ??

I'm not complaining about his production, but I thought he was going to be huge in that regard and I can't recall seeing it.

Maybe Gruden is trying to trick teams into thinking we won't use him in that way.

Then come week fifteen, BAM !!!

Like I said, i'm sure there are other reasons to this point, but it just made me wonder.

Hoosier, your post makes me ask, how many times has Eifert been a target in the redzone ??

Once. But in all fairness they haven't had much in the way of red zone drives. They had two each against Chicago and Pitt. Against the Bears both frives started right outside the goal line:

• 1-4-CHI 4 (3:22) 42-B.Green-Ellis right tackle to CHI 2 for 2 yards (58-D.Williams).

• 2-2-CHI 2 (2:42) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete short left to 18-A.Green.

• 3-2-CHI 2 (2:38) 14-A.Dalton pass short right to 18-A.Green for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

• 1-1-CHI 1 (8:34) 42-B.Green-Ellis left end to CHI 5 for -4 yards (55-L.Briggs; 33-C.Tillman).

• 2-5-CHI 5 (7:56) 42-B.Green-Ellis left guard for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Against the Steelers, the first red zone drive was also short:

• 1-10-PIT 13 (1:36) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass short left to 12-M.Sanu to PIT 7 for 6 yards (22-W.Gay).

• 2-4-PIT 7 (1:03) 25-G.Bernard right guard for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

The second was in Q4 when they were grinding the clock. It's their only extensive work in the red zone so far and Eifert's only target (play was negated by a Pitt penalty).

• 3-2-PIT 21 (10:52) 42-B.Green-Ellis right guard to PIT 19 for 2 yards (95-J.Jones).

• 1-10-PIT 19 (10:10) 42-B.Green-Ellis left guard to PIT 15 for 4 yards (96-E.Hood).

• 2-6-PIT 15 (9:35) 42-B.Green-Ellis left tackle to PIT 12 for 3 yards (98-V.Williams).

• 3-3-PIT 12 (8:52) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete short middle to 85-T.Eifert. PENALTY on PIT-56-L.Woodley, Defensive Offside, 4 yards, enforced at PIT 12 - No Play.

• 1-8-PIT 8 (8:46) 42-B.Green-Ellis right tackle to PIT 7 for 1 yard (96-E.Hood).

• 2-7-PIT 7 (8:06) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete short left to 18-A.Green.

• 3-7-PIT 7 (8:01) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete short left to 18-A.Green (99-B.Keisel).

• 4-7-PIT 7 (7:54) 2-M.Nugent 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-C.Harris, Holder-10-K.Huber.

And this relates to what I was saying in another thread. Why does Gruden keep taking him off the field on 3rd down? It's not every time, of course, but if there's one time I want Eifert on the field to cause matchup problems for the defense...it's on 3rd down. Seems like you'd want him out there every single time.

I'm sure Gruden has his reasons, but my simple uneducated football mind is failing to comprehend it.