Bengals @ Bears Game Thread

HoosierCat

I am a huge fan of this coaching staff but this is a case in point where my dimmer failed to make the correct adjustments in the third quarter.

Are you sure about that? This would take some serious tape study to prove.

Was it a matter of Zimmer getting out-schemed in the 2nd half or did the defense simply not execute as well? I don't think either of us really knows the answer to that.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Lets say he wasnt outschemed. The defense didnt execute as well. Why? Because cutler went mobile and started improvising? Idk. They executed in the first half but didnt in the second. Seems more like adjustments by the bears than lack of execution.

It's certainly possible.

But, I've read about a lot of those completions to Marshall in the 2nd half, where the coaches have said there was no confusion or communication breakdowns. Guys simply got beat.

Could be scheme. Could be the defense being on the field longer and being more tired (a.k.a. the offense not staying on the field as long). It could just be the fact that Marshall is good and over the course of a game he's bound to burn you at some point.

I'm sure the coaches are looking at all of those possibilities.

I don't know about being outschemed. It seems to me that the D often did a good job of putting the Bears in a bad spot...only to let them out of the box. Look at the results of every third-and-long (3rd-and-6 or more) play from Sunday:

Bengals win:

3-14-CHI 36 (7:50) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 22-M.Forte to CHI 46 for 10 yards (26-T.Mays; 55-V.Burfict).

3-6-CIN 38 (7:13) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short middle to 22-M.Forte.

3-7-CHI 34 (2:00) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short right to 17-A.Jeffery (96-C.Dunlap).

3-6-CIN 40 (:17) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short right to 15-B.Marshall (29-L.Hall). (Gould 58 yard FG next play)

Bears win:

3-17-CIN 30 (11:08) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 15-B.Marshall to CIN 12 for 18 yards (43-G.Iloka).

3-9-CHI 21 (1:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 15-B.Marshall to CHI 34 for 13 yards (24-A.Jones).

3-7-CHI 35 (6:30) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short right to 83-M.Bennett pushed ob at CIN 35 for 30 yards (43-G.Iloka).

3-8-CHI 30 (5:10) 6-J.Cutler pass short right to 83-M.Bennett to CHI 41 for 11 yards (29-L.Hall).

3-6-CIN 45 (1:15) 29-M.Bush right end to CIN 44 for 1 yard (96-C.Dunlap). PENALTY on CIN-58-R.Maualuga, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at CIN 44.

Even if you count that last play as a Bengals win, since they did stop them before the idiotic penalty, the D still barely won half those plays. And one of those wins still led to a Bears FG. Worse, if you break out plays of 3rd-and-8 or longer (4 plays) the Bengals D was a horrible 1 for 4 on stops. When you have them backed up on 3rd-and-8, 3rd-and-9, 3rd-and-freakin'-17, you gotta close the door.