53 Man Roster as is.

Kazkal

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still would love to know what else Shaffer is suppose to do to make an NFL roster.

He's made plays from the LB position and played extremely well on teams.

I bet he hates Mays more than we do.

Ya after the injurys I for sure thought he'd make it,I still think there's a chance after they see whats available at LB on the market...Just can't see Marvin Rolling with only 5 Linebackers when one is 35 years old and another is purely special teams player.

I could have swore I read the team has cut one player to be able to do the new IR on Hawkins but then they can resign that player after.

could be mistaken

They have to carry Hawk on the active roster through 4 pm today. After that they can put him on IRR which will free up a roster spot. So you're right, but they already made the cut in order to keep Hawk on the 53. Conventional wisdom is that they will use the spot to sign a LB to replace Lamur. There are rumors they are chasing ex-Bill Bryan Scott. Howard is in the mix too. However I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happened until Monday so they can avoid the guaranteed salary thing.

Mays has been around for a number of seasons. He doesn't seem to have progressed very much at all. The bits I've seen of him on Hard Knocks haven't impressed me a whole lot either. But I would guess that Mays, Whalen and ASmith are all near the bottom of the 53. Any kind of player move will probably impact one of these guys unless they let one of the rookies go first.

I have seen a bunch of thoughts about Mays being underrated, which immediately prompts me to ask, "Who the hell are they watching?".

While he may play teams, he's not a teams "ace" by any stretch and I would replace him on teams with Schaffer in a heartbeat.

Outside of that, what does he bring to the safety position ??

"The Bluemoon Flash" meaning once every blue moon he flashes on a play.

The Bengals need more than that from the SS position.

We knew about Moch, but I wonder if they made attempts to trade a guy like Whalen as well ??

I know there are many that don't really care for Roland, but I don't mind his coming back.

He's been part of what's going on here for a while and knows the system.

With Collins covering Whit, I can't say that a rookie would be a better option.

If the rookie is the better option, they will play.

There are still parts of the roster that could be slimmed and not missed.

One of the WR's immediately comes to mind considering they have Hamilton on the practice squad.

I know there are many that don't really care for Roland, but I don't mind his coming back.

He's been part of what's going on here for a while and knows the system.

With Collins covering Whit, I can't say that a rookie would be a better option.

If the rookie is the better option, they will play.

There are still parts of the roster that could be slimmed and not missed.

One of the WR's immediately comes to mind considering they have Hamilton on the practice squad.

Yea I think that will come after this weekend for a LB.

While admittedly he wasn't really responsible for this, I dont recall being stuffed on the goal line with him in there.

Because he wasn't in there. They had the traditional FB (Connor) blowing open holes for Gio to run through.

This is why I wanted Connor. At the expense of Charles ?? No, Charles didn't need to go.

Mays and Whalen still have a spot on this team, but a true FB doesn't playing in the AFCN ??

Not positive and deleted it from Tivo, but I am pretty sure Charles was in at fb on 2 different goal line carries throughout the preseason, and one as tight end. And all 3 ended up with tds.

While admittedly he wasn't really responsible for this, I dont recall being stuffed on the goal line with him in there.

Because he wasn't in there. They had the traditional FB (Connor) blowing open holes for Gio to run through.

This is why I wanted Connor. At the expense of Charles ?? No, Charles didn't need to go.

Mays and Whalen still have a spot on this team, but a true FB doesn't playing in the AFCN ??

Not positive and deleted it from Tivo, but I am pretty sure Charles was in at fb on 2 different goal line carries throughout the preseason, and one as tight end. And all 3 ended up with tds.

I could have certainly missed something.

:sure:

You know, for whatever it's worth, our goal O looked pretty awesome this pre season

The Bengals today made the following roster moves:

* Placed WR Andrew Hawkins on the Reserve/Injured list, designated for possible return to the roster this season. Teams may place one player in this category. Hawkins will be eligible to return to practice as early as Week 7 and will be eligible to play as early as Week 9, depending on his condition and on team plans. Hawkins has been sidelined since Aug. 1 with an ankle injury. Last season he finished second among Bengals WRs in receptions (51) and receiving yards (533), and he scored four TDs.

* Signed free agent OT Dennis Roland (6-9, 315; Georgia). A sixth-year NFL player in 2013, Roland played in every Bengals game from 2009 through last season, and he was with Cincinnati for all four of this year’s preseason games. He was released Aug. 31 in the final roster cutdown and now rejoins the roster in the spot being vacated by Andrew Hawkins.

*The Bengals today signed QB Greg McElroy to the practice squad. McElroy (6-2, 225; Alabama) is a third-year NFL player in 2013, having spent the last two seasons and the ’13 preseason with the N.Y. Jets. He passed 11-for-19 for 145 yards with one TD and no INTs for the Jets this past preseason, but suffered a knee injury. He was waived by the Jets this past Monday with an injury settlement.

* Signed free agent OT Dennis Roland (6-9, 315; Georgia). A sixth-year NFL player in 2013, Roland played in every Bengals game from 2009 through last season, and he was with Cincinnati for all four of this year’s preseason games. He was released Aug. 31 in the final roster cutdown and now rejoins the roster in the spot being vacated by Andrew Hawkins.

Was so close to being free from him...