Safety still a huge concern

volcom69

The safety postion is still a huge concern. Mays blows, and he started the game tonight, with Iloka playing second string. Im sorry but Mays is not a starter, and Iloka not really sure what we have in this guy since he got injured. The safety postion hurt this team last year, till they brought back Crocker and the defense got a lot better. If they do nothing im afraid it will hurt there secondary again.

Listening to the bengals broadcast Dick Tobin said that Safety has yet to be decided because nobody stood out, and was way to inconsistent. I have to wonder if they wont look out on the streets or something this weekend. I love this team its so deep in depth, but the safety opposite of Reggie is just sad.

Yeah Tobin says that because that group is not very talented, which is frustrating, because teams like the Ravens and Steelers have thrived by having a great Safety who can cover and run-blitz.

You didn't mention Williams, who didn't look "bad" in the preseason, was basically another LB when he was on the field, all over the place..produced.

Like the weak C and LG positions, and lack of depth on the 0-line now, the Safety weakness is something they've chosen to live with, Brown won't pay them, so Marvin scours the mid-rounds and waiver wire every year for them.

I hate how everyone says the Bengals will probably have to address the safety position again in the 2014 draft, like they always do.

WRONG. They address the position with a bunch of mid to low round talent they hope turn into starters.

It hasn't worked to this point in the least.

Hell they can't even take credit for Nelson because he was drafted by the Jags.

I will say if this is the only spot of major concern, I will deal with it, but I don't like it.

They knew about it prior to FA and the draft and did little to nothing.

I'm hoping they bring someone else in after cuts, but then they would be behind the power curb with the defensive scheme.

Oh well...

I hate how everyone says the Bengals will probably have to address the safety position again in the 2014 draft, like they always do.

WRONG. They address the position with a bunch of mid to low round talent they hope turn into starters.

I will say if this is the only spot of major concern, I will deal with it, but I don't like it.

I'm hoping they bring someone else in after cuts, but then they would be behind the power curb with the defensive scheme.

Oh well...

What concerns me is last year they had the same problem, and there secondary struggled till they brought Crocker back in. I don't know how Iloka would do, but they had him playing second string. Mays is the worst option they have, and yet he started last night. If they do nothing about this position I think the back end of the defense will struggle again, and then what call Crocker back in? What a joke! This team has great players, and great depth, expect that one spot.

Vaccaro would have been nice, but that was a pipe dream where they picked.

Was never a fan of Reid in the 1st either.

As much as i'm hopeful for Williams, I still think they reached for him in the 3rd.

The question always becomes, "who would you NOT have drafted" to take the safety you wanted ??

I can't say as I really have that answer, hence my "Oh well" a couple posts back.

Neither has burning top picks. Let me introduce you to Lamont Thompson, Mark Roman and Madieu Williams. Second round busts all.

Safety, especially strong safety, is a huge boom/bust position.

So we have to go back 10 years since we used a pick on safety in the first 3 rounds ??

Got it.

Boom/bust ?? Yeah, I get that one, but don't you think you should at least try ??

I just don't think they've done that enough.

However, this is still a top 5 defense regardless of the SS, so that's a nice problem to have.

Actually if you're doing the first three rounds you only have to go back to last April. :)

Ghee was a third rounder too.

It's just become a difficult position to fill, and its not just the Bengals. Tampa spent a top pick on Barron in 2012 and he stunk in coverage, so now they are going to play him more in the box. Personally I believe Williams is what your SS is going to look like going forward, a hybrid LB and safety. I'm going to give him more than a preseason before I toss him on the junk pile.

Oh well...

Eventually they'll cave just like they did with Tight Ends,Only issue is were gonna need start spendin some high round picks on Oline next year.

Since we have Alexander and that's the only way were gonna have a decent Oline.

Oh well...

Eventually they'll cave just like they did with Tight Ends,Only issue is were gonna need start spendin some high round picks on Oline next year.

Why are people STILL bashing Alexander? What on earth has he done to deserve it?

Never have understood...

Oh well...

Why are people STILL bashing Alexander? What on earth has he done to deserve it?

Never have understood...

A lot of people hate Alexander, but listening to Sirius they feel like he's one of the best. I think they bash him for guys that have not played well, but I'm not really sure it's his fault. If Mile or Marvin says play this or that guy, well that's what Paul is going to do. There was a time when Paul had one of the best O-Lines out there.

I think Alexander is a good coach, but a lousy judge of talent. Like too many coaches he falls in love with guys and overlooks their flaws. See Guy-chick and the Dancing Bear for examples.

As for safety, I guess I'm just not feeling it. I see complaints that the Bengals don't use high picks on safeties, which would be news to Williams, or don't pay for safeties, which would be news to Nelson, or don't aggressively try to get better at the position, which would be news to Donte Whitner. If it hasn't worked out yet it isn't for a lack of money or effort. It sucks that Mays just can't seem to make it happen, and it sucks Iloka lost his temper and broke his hand punching a helmet, but they'll hit on a guy one of these days. Maybe they already have. We shall see.

Strong safety is probably the biggest weakness on the defense, but I still think we're better off this season than last season. I would rather have Iloka and/or Williams than Mays and/or Crocker. It's not as though Zimmer's defenses typically feature great coverage strong safeties anyways.