pacman arrested

UK Bengal

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacman gets arrested, Chad gets 30 days...and today's story on bengals.com is that nfl play 60 will host a "character camp" at PBS to teach kids the importance of character in athletics and life.

That burning smell is my irony meter, which just exploded.

I like Adam Jones as a football player. But I don’t like him as a man or a human being. Punk move to punch a woman, no matter what happened. And before anybody tried to defend this fool – he’s been in tons of trouble before and he’s gotten 2nd and 3rd chances to be a better man and making a great living playing football. Yes this guy continues to hang out in places to where he is tempted to get involved in immature behaviors which lands him in trouble with the authorities. Plin Stupid!!

I like Adam Jones as a football player. But I don’t like him as a man or a human being. Punk move to punch a woman, no matter what happened.

I don't approve of hitting women either, but in this situation I can't say that in the heat of the moment - specifically just being beaned at point blank range with a beer bottle - that I wouldn't have reacted exactly the same way.

Self-Control. If he would have been a man, and just did the right thing, she’d be facing charges instead of him being back in the lime light for negativity again!! While serving in Iraq, we were yelled at, called names, spit on and had stuff thrown at us on a regular basis but we followed our rules of engagement policies – used self-control. If Soldiers can do that on a daily basis in combat, then a professional athlete should be able to do it in a bar!! Now I’m not condoning what this lady did, but Jones knows his past, and what he can lose if he gets in trouble again. Right or wrong, now his fate is in the hands of the courts. If he lands a judge that has zero tolerance for abusing a female, he’s toast.

Self-Control. If he would have been a man, and just did the right thing, she’d be facing charges instead of him being back in the lime light for negativity again!! While serving in Iraq, we were yelled at, called names, spit on and had stuff thrown at us on a regular basis but we followed our rules of engagement policies – used self-control. If Soldiers can do that on a daily basis in combat, then a professional athlete should be able to do it in a bar!! Now I’m not condoning what this lady did, but Jones knows his past, and what he can lose if he gets in trouble again. Right or wrong, now his fate is in the hands of the courts. If he lands a judge that has zero tolerance for abusing a female, he’s toast.

So an athlete with no training should be expected what you trained to do? That seems a bit unrealistic. Assuming the tapes bear out Pacman's story, he was attacked on the street for not taking a picture with a drunk woman. If she had just cussed him out and he hit her, I would be right there with you condemning him. If she had pulled a knife or a gun, I doubt we'd be having this conversation. I guess beer bottles fall into a gray area.

What was dumb, again assuming he's telling the truth, was not calling the cops right then and swearing out a complaint against the woman.

Self-Control. If he would have been a man, and just did the right thing, she'd be facing charges instead of him being back in the lime light for negativity again!! While serving in Iraq, we were yelled at, called names, spit on and had stuff thrown at us on a regular basis but we followed our rules of engagement policies – used self-control. If Soldiers can do that on a daily basis in combat, then a professional athlete should be able to do it in a bar!! Now I'm not condoning what this lady did, but Jones knows his past, and what he can lose if he gets in trouble again. Right or wrong, now his fate is in the hands of the courts. If he lands a judge that has zero tolerance for abusing a female, he's toast.

So an athlete with no training should be expected what you trained to do? That seems a bit unrealistic. Assuming the tapes bear out Pacman's story, he was attacked on the street for not taking a picture with a drunk woman. If she had just cussed him out and he hit her, I would be right there with you condemning him. If she had pulled a knife or a gun, I doubt we'd be having this conversation. I guess beer bottles fall into a gray area.

What was dumb, again assuming he's telling the truth, was not calling the cops right then and swearing out a complaint against the woman.

What's also dumb, is that at this point in his career, he's still hanging out at bars and other areas where these types of things can occur. How about a quiet night at home, Mr. Jones?

I won't condemn the guy for going to a bar or for slapping a woman who just threw a freaking beer bottle at him.

Not just going to assume that's the real story either though. I'll wait for more details.

Sorta Kinda repeating what Skyline said above, but I am sure by now that he has been told (by his agent at bare minimum, and possibly by others as well) that his previous behavior robs him of the benefit of the doubt in situations like this, and that therefore, he simply needs to avoid being in such situations entirely

so yeah - if you gotta go drink, jeez, go drink at home

I agree that this is from one point of view completely unfair - I mean after all, he may be entirely guiltless - but thats life.

If this was (for example) Sanu, he'd get the benefit of the doubt, ie let's all wait and see for the facts to come out. But this is Pac Man, and there is an established history of behavior that makes it quite a bit harder to give the benefit of the doubt.

What's also dumb, is that at this point in his career, he's still hanging out at bars and other areas where these types of things can occur. How about a quiet night at home, Mr. Jones?

Agreed. That said from what I've read he was out with teammates. This was after they had batting practice with the Reds and then stayed for the game. It wasn't as if he was out carousing at some random club.

All soldiers don't practice that self-control, as evidenced by news that has come out over the past few years regarding behavior by some of our soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan. I'm glad that you do, but we'd be foolish to act like everyone does just because "youre trained to do so." A female is a human being and the fact that he protected himself against a woman who hit him with a bottle rather than a man should play no role in a legal decision.

It has nothing to do with being a Soldier or a pro athlete. It's how you're brought up and being a man. I used the Soldier info as an example and you're right not every Soldier does the right thing. When Petafiles serve their sentence, they are marked for life. They can’t live, work or be around kids. If they get caught around youngsters, they go back to jail. Jones past run in with the laws have him marked. Since he’s been a Bengal, he’s been arrested three times and the NFL suspended him for the 2007 season. When he was drafted, Jones was on probation for a fight in college. He was then arrested in 2005 for assault and felony vandalism. He was arrested in 2006 for marijuana possession. Oh and he was arrested again in 2006 for disorderly conduct and public intoxication. Then later in 2006, he was cited with a misdemeanor for assault (spit in a female’s face). In 2007 Jones was reported for grabbing a lady’s hair and slamming her head on a stage (where she was dancing). In 2008 he was accused of hitting a woman in a bar in GA. Do we see a trend, or is he just being picked on because he’s a famous rich pro athlete? Yea!!

Video wouldn't work. Was he defending himself or just retaliating? Matters to me but it'll probably end up as disorderly conduct no matter what. I'm pretty much ready to see Adam make some plays this year then head on down the road to practice his avocation of defending himself against aggressive strippers, girlfriends, female fans, etc, somewhere else. In fact I'd be willing to get a pool going on which state Adam will first do some time in. I'll take Florida, of course.

I don't drink and I never said he was a petafile. Just that he has a long history with alcohol, assaulting women and getting arrested. I hope nothing comes of this and that he's able to play for us. However, he put himself in this situaton!!

I'm with you, Combat. Jones needs to realize that loitering late at night on a sidewalk talking to random drunk strangers is not a "luxury" he can afford at this point. He voluntarily chose to be standing there engaging w/ her and other patrons of the restaurant. He set himself up for this. Look at the other guy w/ him, uneasily pacing about -- seemingly wanting to move along, waiting for Adam to finish talking.

It's really hard to judge the ~1.5 sec of footage showing the actual assault(s) - and I have no idea how Goodell is going to see it - but IMO but there's ample evidence that Jones didn't have to be there and should have just moved on before it came to that. I'm hoping this all gets resolved for him, but ... unfortunately, the guy has worn out all his second chances in the league.

Video wouldn't work. Was he defending himself or just retaliating? Matters to me but it'll probably end up as disorderly conduct no matter what. I'm pretty much ready to see Adam make some plays this year then head on down the road to practice his avocation of defending himself against aggressive strippers, girlfriends, female fans, etc, somewhere else. In fact I'd be willing to get a pool going on which state Adam will first do some time in. I'll take Florida, of course.

IMO, it seems like a reflexive strike, something done without pause or moment of thought. Honestly, I don't know that makes it better or worse.

The video worked for me. The woman lunged the beer bottle at him first, not quite a "throw". She looked like she intended to pour it on him, but in her intoxicated state ended up bonking him on the face with it in a stabbing motion. He slapped back reflexively (I couldn't tell whether he simply slapped at the beer bottle or at the woman) and then the altercation became one of words.

It's not really possible to form a conclusive opinion based on the footage, but I do think it mostly supports Jones's story. If he ends up suspended simply for being at a bar with some team mates after the event with the Reds, then he is being sorely cheated. It is not reasonable to expect him to never again enter a public establishment where alcohol is served.