DJ Hayden at 21?

Cornerback two years straight? A possibility, says Peter King:

Cincinnati (21) likes Alec Ogletree and Eddie Lacy -- and a strange one for this high: Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden, who had a risky heart-valve problem in 2011 but now checks out OK. Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has spent loads of time investigating Hayden ...

NFL.com profile

Obligatory highlight video:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLcuVvBZ1M

FWIW, McShay's latest mock also has the Bengals taking a corner, in this case Desmond Trufant.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/68475/mcshays-mock-draft-5-0-afc-north

It makes a certain amount of sense if you think about it. Newman and Pacman will be a combined 65 years old this fall, Kirkpatrick continues to have injury issues and while I don't think Hall is going anywhere in the near future, he'll be 29 late this year. Behind them all they have is CLH, Prater and Ghee.

Oh I have no doubt about it making sense, but figured they would have enough to get them through this season and address it early next year.

Well, after they took a CB in either the 4th or 5th this year.

Trufant ?? Yeah, I would have no real problem with him at #21, but I guess Kirkpatrick's situation would dictate.

I think Trufant is going to be a better than average CB in the league.

And, it's always possible they pick another highly-rated CB and turn someone else into a safety.

And then there's that option.

Wasn't there talk about thinking Kirkpatrick's best position may in fact be safety ??

I can't recall exactly. He didn't get any of the little time he played last year at the safety position.