Reds vs. Nationals

ArmyBengal

2 series against possible World Series contenders, and they've won them both.

It's hard to picture a much better start to the season.

I am already imagining them taking 4 of 6 from the Cards and Pirates in the next two series. That would be a very good start to the season. The Cards, Brewers, Pirates and cubbies need to be dominated this year.

Bruce seems to be heating up. Votto is still battling. Choo has been a monster so far. Phillips is looking good. Frazier has had a great start.

Now if Cozart, Hannigan and whoever is playing LF can bat at least .240 they look to have a solid team.

What is up with Baker announcing to the world that Chapman and Broxton are not available to pitch tonight. What a moron! He cant manage his Bullpen and then he tells the competition they dont even have to worry about whether the 2 best relievers will be throwing at the end of the game. At least make them guess you idiot!

Marshall should have been placed on the DL at the first sign of arm trouble and he would be back next week. Plus they would have had an extra arm in the BP for the first 15 days of the season. Now our dumbass manager puts him in yesterday, ruling out a DL stint retroactive to the start of the season and Marshall probably isnt available to pitch tonight either. That leaves the BP dangerously low on arms, going into a divisional rival series that is more important than any of the games so far this season.

I hate the way Baker manages.

What I don't understand is the usage of the pitchers in the bullpen and maybe someone can school me up on this.

Why is it these guys are only pitching one inning ?? Why can't any of those setup guys go two innings ??

Hell, I thought they were going to get Chapman some more innings as well. Why not let him go 2 innings ??

I heard them talking on the radio about how the Reds were looking to bring up someone to give those guys a rest.

That sounds like something that needs to be done because they weren't used efficiently.

Like I said though, I could be wrong.

What I don't understand is the usage of the pitchers in the bullpen and maybe someone can school me up on this.

Why is it these guys are only pitching one inning ?? Why can't any of those setup guys go two innings ??

Hell, I thought they were going to get Chapman some more innings as well. Why not let him go 2 innings ??

I heard them talking on the radio about how the Reds were looking to bring up someone to give those guys a rest.

That sounds like something that needs to be done because they weren't used efficiently.

Like I said though, I could be wrong.

You got it. Baker has not used his arms efficiently and now he is screwed. Most of this comes from not putting Marshall on the 15 day DL at the beginning of the season and being 1 RP down for the first 5 games, two of which went to extra innings. Not very good planning to be going into this Cards series short handed for the first game. I like Robinson, but at the time it would have made more sense to call a RP up for a short period of time, to cover innings after that extra innings game on opening day.

what is sad is if Marshall had been put on the 15 day DL he would be available very soon to come back fresh and with the extra arm we would have had someone else to mop up that blow-out game against the Nats. Lecure has to be wearing out also, I think he has pitched in almost every game. Even Hoover has seen alot of innings already.

Again I say,

BAKER IS AN IDIOT!

While I thought the situation with the pitchers was odd, I just wasn't sure how that worked and was asking accordingly.

In regards to Baker as a manager, I know many people don't care for him very much, but I don't have much of a thought there.

Are there things he does that make me wonder ?? Sure, but i'm more of the mindset that says, "let him manage".

It's a long season.

I'm trying to resist my obligatory Baker complaints. It's too early for that.

Generally I think he's a lot like Marvin Lewis: he does a great job of managing personalities and getting the most from his players. He is significantly less skilled with the actual strategic elements of the job.

In regards to Baker as a manager, I know many people don't care for him very much, but I don't have much of a thought there.

Are there things he does that make me wonder ?? Sure, but i'm more of the mindset that says, "let him manage".

It's a long season.

Most importantly is that the players enjoy playing for him. Team chemistry for the Reds right now (and the past couple of seasons) is as good as I've seen in a long time.

Yes, he does make me scratch my head on a regular basis, and how he handles pitchers is one of the biggest knocks against him. But, the starting 5 made it through the season healthy last year which is pretty unheard of in the majors and the bullpen remained quite healthy as well. He must not be abusing his pitchers TOO badly.

Overreact much?

Not at all, we are only 6 games into the season and the manager has 2 possibly 5 of his relievers unavailable for the first away game, against the division rival that is predicted to challenge for the title.

That is very bad managing.

His only hope is Latos going seven strong at least. If Latos implodes in the second or third, look for Baker to make no move to win this game, he has no options.

I'm sick of watching this so-called genius make bush league move after move. Crap he has me missing MacNamara as a manager.

He is very lucky to be blessed with a talented team, that bails him out time after time.

Again, it's a long season.

If, at seasons end, we are 15 games out of the race and our pitchers are broke due to his poor decisions, that's another story.

Anyone raising hell and bitching and moaning at this point in the season when we have started 4-2 just doesn't like Dusty.

That's fine to, but it comes off kind of odd.

My Dad dislikes him as well, so no surprise.

Do you really think the decision to DL/not DL Marshall was Dusty's alone? I'd be very surprised if Jockety and others were not involved in that one.

All I see in the game tonight is Dusty looking out for his big-time pitchers and making sure they'll stay healthy in the long-run. A one game inconvenience (especially this early in the season) is hardly something to get up in arms about.