Jaws predicting Austin now goes top 15

Wraith

Per Rotoworld, Ron Jaworski is predicting Tavon Austin might go as high as 14 to the Panthers, so it looks like he might not be as available as he looked prior to his pro day.

"This guy is absolutely lightning quick," said Jaws. "He's one of the quickest guys I've ever seen and I've been around the game since 1973. This guy just accelerates when he gets the football and, although he's a little bit diminutive, I think this guy's gonna go in the top 15." Carolina would be an intriguing landing spot at No. 14. New Panthers GM Dave Gettleman -- a former Giants exec -- could see some Victor Cruz in the versatile Austin.

Unfortunately that leaves the pool of truly exceptional 1st rounders a little dry, Dion Jordan doesn't exactly fit our scheme and is likely gone top ten. Jarvis Jones could fall, that would be great.

We need to watch Xavier Rhodes from FSU but I am hearing possibly top ten for him too. I am not particularly wowed by any of the running backs or by the safeties as first round guys, I guess Vaccaro is back in play.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry, wraith. Sources say the 21st pick will be signed today by SF for $3.89 and a pack of Milk Duds. Bengals say they are unable to afford any new draft picks as it will inhibit their ability to resign key players in the year 2525.

Everytime I watch highlights of this kid, I immediately shift my focus on who I want in the 1st.

You want a playmaker at RB, WR, and in the return game ?? Yeah, Austin is that player.

The Oklahoma highlights are awesome and for an example of his quickness, go to the 8:00 mark and watch.

Crazy quickness from this kid. My only question is, how much attitude is too much ??

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU

Everytime I watch highlights of this kid, I immediately shift my focus on who I want in the 1st.

You want a playmaker at RB, WR, and in the return game ?? Yeah, Austin is that player.

The Oklahoma highlights are awesome and for an example of his quickness, go to the 8:00 mark and watch.

Crazy quickness from this kid. My only question is, how much attitude is too much ??

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU

Thanks for sharing - nice video. Pretty amazing stuff. Def looks like a guy who would bring a lot to the Bengals - although as others have pointed out we have a guy in Hawkins who has produced some similar highlights in the NFL already with limited touches. But if he's there at 21, I would not object on the basis of what I'm seeing here.

I guess it would all depend on how they would utilize him.

What if the WR corps looked like Green, Jones, and Sanu and Hawkins could get those touches as a 3rd down RB ??

I they feel that would be appropriate, then fine, but I question that.

Hawkins also isn't a return guy. Could he do that ?? I don't know.

If Hawkins can't do those things, then it sounds like he could be easily cut should Austin get drafted.

I and others like Hawkins, but the more versatility and playmaking ability you bring, the more value you have.

It's not personal, it's business...

Austin is getting all sorts of buzz about now being the top rated Offensive Player on many draft boards, Greg Cosell just said he thinks Austin could go as high as #4 to Philly....all that being said looking like there is no way he falls to the Bengals @ 21 which is a shame because he would have fit perfectly. So it is now time look for another player the Bengals might have an opportunity with....Jarvis Jones....Had a bad pro day, ran in the 4.9's he was already getting projected in the 12-17 range and this may push him down into the low 20's seems like a perfect SOLB to me kind of a Terrell Suggs type, production on the field far exceeds the production in these workouts.

Of course if we do not resign the Flesh Zepplin then D.J. Fluker or Menelik Watson will have to be our choice (though don't sleep on Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina at RT).

Smoke and mirrors, just like anything else this time of year. As much as I like him and will be mocking him to the Bengals at #21, if someone takes him in the top 10, I will laugh.

I'm sorry to further burst anyone's bubble, but even if Austin is available at 21 I don't see the Bengals taking him. Too short. Remember, they passed on Desean Jackson for paddle hands Simpson a few years back.

Remember when they had never drafted a CB in the first round until they did ??

Remember when they had never drafted a CB in the first round in back to back seasons until they did ??

Remember when they had never drafted an interior lineman in the first round until they did ??

Not trying to be a smartass, but I don’t like the historical reasons for why the team won’t do something.

I would be more inclined to believe they won’t do it based upon how they view guys like Sanzenbacher.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Rotoworld today:

"Tavon Austin, joined by Virginia Tech wide receiver Corey Fuller, will be working out for the Ravens at their local Pro Day workout and will be meeting with the Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and St. Louis Rams."

Just an FYI.

I agree he would be a definate X-Factor and I agree he will likely be gone however it is interesting they are bringing him in, perhaps they know some things we do not....at least that is the hope it is also possible they know less than we do and they are wasting their time....

Would you trade our first and our natural second to get up in the top 15 to take Austin the more I watch tape the more I feel he is the only legitimately SPECIAL offensive skill player in this draft.

Not a chance in a million years.

One player, regardless of how special can't get the whole team to win.

Chad was pretty special in his day and how did that work out ??

You can't give up the chance to draft 2 starters over one.

Especially when that one player isn't a larger priority than 2 or possibly 3 other positions.

I get the thought, but not in this case.

Maybe if we were the 49er's coming off a Super Bowl appearance, having 13 picks to burn and not many holes to fill.

I agree with most of what this article states, the problem is no mention of Sanu coming back. He is a much different player than Austin, but he fulfills some of the same roles. He can run from a direct snap, he can throw 70 yards in the air and he is a very good posession type big body WR. What Sanu doesnt fill is the speedy small hands guy, but Hawkins does a solid job in that role already. As Army(I think) has already mentioned, he would be a good pick if we didnt have holes at Safety, LB and OL to fill with those first three picks.

This exactly my thinking, a player like Austin would free up Sanu and Green. It would make it impossible for teams to devote two or three guys to covering Green(like Houston did at least in the first Hali). Like the article said too often taking Green out of the game would shut down the Bengals offense. The team wanted Gresham to be that guy but he isn't and as much as I like Sanu (and loved him as a prospect last year ) he is not the kind of guy that makes DCs lose sleep at not and Austin is the only guy on this draft like that.

IMHO.

Would you trade our first and our natural second to get up in the top 15 to take Austin the more I watch tape the more I feel he is the only legitimately SPECIAL offensive skill player in this draft.

Not a chance in a million years.

One player, regardless of how special can't get the whole team to win.

Chad was pretty special in his day and how did that work out ??

You can't give up the chance to draft 2 starters over one.

Especially when that one player isn't a larger priority than 2 or possibly 3 other positions.

I get the thought, but not in this case.

Maybe if we were the 49er's coming off a Super Bowl appearance, having 13 picks to burn and not many holes to fill.

I agree with the starters but say we get Flesh Zeppelin resigned,Sign Kerry Rhoades & Dansby

Would it be worth trading up then since we pretty much would have starters in all of our positions of need?

I would say no, because we would be putting off needs with older (while still serviceable) players.

I simply don't think that's what this team needs right now.

I guess every situation allows different lines of thought though.

Makes since being well would be nice have dynamic WR/KR/RB of his quality but we still have very serviceable in 2 out of the 3 (Hawkins/Pacman).How would you feel about trading up for someone like kenny vaccaro? Since the position is actually a big need

I just don't think there is a great difference between Vaccaro, Elam, Reid, Cyprien, Swearinger, Phillip Thomas, or Shamarko Thomas in ability. I actually like Swearinger best of that group though I grant you that he is a boom or bust pick. If we are going to trade up it should be for a player that is a difference maker, and while Vaccaro might be that, his lack of speed and suspect coverage skills make him not a sure thing. Austin is one of the few sure things IMHO in this draft.