Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

Hobson is also guessing on who will or won't be signed back when figuring those numbers.

He thinks PacMan and Newman will also be back and is guessing at their salaries as well.

Bottomline is that he's full of sh*t. It's why I don't bother with his spiel anymore.

The Bengals signing guys like Geathers will only bother me if it is at the expense of someone who is a greater need.

So, if we keep Geathers and lose Andre Smith, I won't be happy.

Couldn't they just as easily waited to see what happens with a position and player of greater importance ??

If they were to lose out on Geathers while waiting, is it really that big of a loss ??

Most wanted him cut the past few years. I mean really.

This is what i dont get about Hobson or Free Agency anymore. How do the bengals go from having some 50 million to spend, and they sign a couple of there guys, and now they only have 14 million left to sign?? When you have other teams out there spending money like its going out of style. Guess ill never understand the whole FA money, but according to Hobson thats hell of alot of money they spent on just a couple of guys.

The only reason the bengals had a lot of cap room was because they had so many free agents and so few players under contract. It's a result of so many expiring contracts this year. Basically, for them to bring back the exact same team as last year with zero changes or upgrades, that alone would put them close to the cap. Especially when you throw in extensions for other guys they want to keep whose contracts are going to explode.

Fans just don't get it though. They just see $50 million. We actually have to fill out a roster though.

Hobson explained it some years back when people complained about what I call his "Hobsonization" of the numbers -- when he cuts out all the things like the rookie pool and the injury reserve and the RFA tags, etc. His defense is that is how the FO does its accounting, so he is just reflecting what the reality is inside the Bengals bubble.

Update on Goodson.

Anthony Cosenza ‏@CJAnthonyCUI

Popular guy. RT @MMehtaNYDN: Jets aren't only team targeting RB Mike Goodson. MG will visit #Bengals Wednesday. Cowboys interested too.

Shula, could you check in with the boys and Jets and let them know he's nothing special, please move along? :)

Wondering where $50 million went? Look at all the moves in the last week...

Franchise tag of MJ - over $11 million.

Wallace Gilberry.

Robert Geathers.

Andrew Hawkins.

Mike Nugent.

Kevin Huber.

Cedric Peerman.

Clark Harris.

Vincent Rey, Jeromy Miles, and any other restricted free agents or exclusive rights guys we have tendered.

Another $7-9 million or whatever set aside for Andre Smith when he signs.

A few million for Adam Jones and/or Newman.

Money set aside for all the draft picks.

Money for extensions with guys like Atkins, Dunlap, and Gresham coming up this year. AJ Green and Dalton next season.

Money for injuries during the season so we can pick up replacements like we did with Gilberry last year. Money for bonuses, escalators, and incentives in contracts...

Gotcha, I really never understood all of that. Is that why the bengals seem to almost every guy to a 3 year or less deal? Maybe that's the hold up with Andre is the years.

Could be. The Bengals have always believed in pay-as-you-go accounting. They hate dead money, back-loaded deals, all that stuff. My guess is that its over incentives. I suspect the Bengals will meet Moobs' $9 million a year number as long as they can tie a big piece of that to performance.

I have no illusions about Bush. But he's a great fit for the offense as a No. 2 to pair with Green-Ellis. And they have the coin to make a generous offer. No reason not to make it happen, unless one of the other teams offers stupid money. But based on these reports it doesn't appear any have. Otherwise he would be signed.

I have no illusions about Bush. But he's a great fit for the offense as a No. 2 to pair with Green-Ellis. And they have the coin to make a generous offer. No reason not to make it happen, unless one of the other teams offers stupid money. But based on these reports it doesn't appear any have. Otherwise he would be signed.

I like Goodson better than Bush. And he will likely cost less. Plus there are tons of change-of-pace RBs in the draft who are younger, cheaper, and just as good.

I like Goodson better than Bush. And he will likely cost less. Plus there are tons of change-of-pace RBs in the draft who are younger, cheaper, and just as good.

Cost really doesn't strike me as a big issue here. The difference between a Goodson and a Bush isn't going to blow up the Bengals. Re the draft, I want a FA RB and one in April. The RB corps the team has is nothing special and the more competition the better.

Players with contracts expiring don't account for all of the cap money available though.

The Bengals carried over 15 million into 2012 and carried more from 2012 into 2013.

There are reports they want to carry at least 10 million from this year to next.

Just saying there's a little more to it and with that being the case, getting guys signed shouldn't be a money issue.

Agree wholeheartedly about signing your own guys and targeting "pieces" to fill in the voids.

If your team builds through the draft and those players perform, the team has to find a way to keep them.

If not, it's more turn and burn and constant rebuilds. It just doesn't work.

Hayden, it's great to have some new opinions on the board and we are glad to have you.

Welcome to the Zone !!!

Yes. No opinion on the Goodson, but the draft is where I want to see them make their move on the RB front. I'm not opposed to a free agent as long as the contract is small enough to not have a significant impact, but I don't see that being the case with Bush.

Yes. No opinion on the Goodson, but the draft is where I want to see them make their move on the RB front. I'm not opposed to a free agent as long as the contract is small enough to not have a significant impact, but I don't see that being the case with Bush.

Well, we all want what we want, but if one thing is clear after the first day of FA, it's that the Bengals are going to sign a FA RB. They have inquired about Jackson, Bush and Mendenhall, hosted Beanie, will host Goodson, and may even be sniffing around Felix Jones. Clearly they view this as their No. 1 outside FA priority, and it isn't a question of if they will sign someone, only of who and when.

Given that and the fact that teams still aren't paying for RBs, I see no reason not to just go get the best guy and be done with it, and I think that's Bush. Goodson is my second choice. The rest, not interested.

So since today is the "official" start of free agency, let me catch this thing up and summarize where we are:

Michael Johnson obviously got the tag for the 2013 season.

Bengals Players Resigned for 2013

Cedric Peerman, RB

Kevin Huber, P

Clark Harris, LS

Mike Nugent, K

Wallace Gilberry, DE

Non-Bengal Free Agents Signed for 2013

Aaron Maybin, LB

Dane Sanzenbacher, WR

Lavasier Tuinei, WR

Bengals Players Lost to Free Agency

Manny Lawson, OLB to Buffalo

Bruce Gradkowski, QB to Pittsburgh

Josh Brown, K to NYG

I would have had this done sooner, but I spent the weekend in Columbus with Mrs. Armybengal at a Bon Jovi concert.

Yes, i'm serious...

Updated...

Leon Washington is out there... He is better return guy than Tate, and can serve role that Scott was playing..

I'd like them to take a look at Dansby. He's out in Miami with the Ellerbe signing. Guy is a very good MLB (far better than Rey).

Also, with Bernard Pollard out there, he'd be worth talking to for sure.

I'm a little intrugued by Bengals getting Maybin a month or so ago. He could be a solid salvage project.

Well, we all want what we want, but if one thing is clear after the first day of FA, it's that the Bengals are going to sign a FA RB. They have inquired about Jackson, Bush and Mendenhall, hosted Beanie, will host Goodson, and may even be sniffing around Felix Jones. Clearly they view this as their No. 1 outside FA priority, and it isn't a question of if they will sign someone, only of who and when.

Given that and the fact that teams still aren't paying for RBs, I see no reason not to just go get the best guy and be done with it, and I think that's Bush. Goodson is my second choice. The rest, not interested.

I think Bradshow would work here, epecially if he does not need to carry the load like he did in NY. I;'m not realy impressed or excited about the others listed. I can see why folks want Bush but I think he wants too much money. Feix Jones could be dangerous, just depends on how much they expect him to carry.

Still, I think the best option is one of the RBs in the draft. Better value and fresher legs.

I'm very intrigued by Maybin, but that's only because I want someone, ANYONE to work in that spot.

He had a solid season in New York and I like the thought of what Zimmer could get out of him in a new role.

He always possessed the ability and a new role on a new team might be the thing that motivates him.

There's always hoping...

I think Bradshow would work here, epecially if he does not need to carry the load like he did in NY. I;'m not realy impressed or excited about the others listed. I can see why folks want Bush but I think he wants too much money. Feix Jones could be dangerous, just depends on how much they expect him to carry.

Still, I think the best option is one of the RBs in the draft. Better value and fresher legs.

I'd like Felix Jones if he comes at a decent price, he could be a very good 3rd down back. Plus he can be an emergency full time RB for short spells.