Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

You guys make it sound so simple. It's not an easy process on either side and there's bound to be a lot of tugging and pulling in both directions. That's just the nature of a business where so much $$ is on the line.

If the Bengals have shown us anything lately it's that they're willing to spend on their guys. But, you can't keep everyone. Everyone is clearly hoping that Geno sticks around, and I'm sure the Bengals will do all they can to make that happen. At the same time, the Bengals have shown themselves smart enough to realize that you can't let one or two positions tie the rest of the team down from a salary perspective. There does come a point when you have to walk away. Fingers crossed that this won't be the case with Geno.

They've also got Green looming in the background to complicate matters. His salary is the one that really concerns me.

The bottom line is, this team is going to have to use the salary tag every single season on a player that we'd much prefer they sign long term. And, inevitably, we're going to lose an amazing player or two along the way.

Having said all of this, it's important to remember...this is a GOOD problem to have. It means we're nearly overloaded with talent, which is more than we've been able to say in a very long time.

I understand all the incentives, bonuses, pro rated this and that, and all the other things that can certainly tie up contract talks.

However, if Geno wants to be the highest paid DT in the league (which i'm sure he does) he deserves it.

My thing is, doing that for him doesn't break the bank. Look at the highest salary number for DT in the league. It's not even 8.5 million.

I say that lightly obviously, as that is a ton of money, but this is the business side of the football world.

Does Geno want 10 per year ?? Well, that's still a number the Bengals can live with.

I will say that if Geno is wanting upwards of that, then you get into a situation where you have to think harder about what that does in regards to limiting what you can do with the remainder of the roster. I also agree that they can't keep everyone and good players are going to be let go. My thing is, making the right choice in who those players are.

In my opinion, Geno absolutely makes everyone else better who plays around him. Does MJ get 11+ sacks last season without Geno in the middle ?? Dunlap ?? Gilberry ?? Is Peko the same run stopping force if teams don't have to double team Geno ??

Now ask yourself if Green does the same thing ?? Maybe, but it hasn't shown itself to this point in my opinion. No other WR has been able to put up great numbers with Green getting double teamed. Hell, teams know that's all they have to do to shut down the receiving game. Maybe that changes with a healthy Sanu and Jones.

Also when looking at the dollars it's going to take to sign AJ long term, that's a number higher than what it will cost for Geno.

I'm just of the line of thought that keeping Geno should be the priority. I acknowledge that AJ is also one of the top 3 WR's at his position and want to keep him as well. I could also argue the flip side and talk about what losing AJ would mean to Dalton.

It will interesting to see how it works out.

Green isn't really a consideration IMO. The Bengals will pick up his fifth-year option following this season, so he won't have any opportunity at free agency until 2016 at the earliest.

With Dunlap extended and Hunt drafted to replace MJ, the tag will be free to use on Atkins in 2014.

The real crux of the situation is Andy Dalton. He is the most logical target for an extension in 2014, but it will depend on what happens this season. If he flames out, all bets are off, the Bengals will likely look to the draft. However, if he performs well, he will get paid.

Assuming that happens, Atkins can be tagged again in 2015. The total cost of tagging him for 2014 and 2015 should be less than $20 million. Assuming a deal can be worked out with Green in 2015, they can tag Geno for a third time in 2016. That would push his 2014-2016 cost up to around $35 million, which is probably around half of what he's asking for right now.

I don't think this is the optimal way to handle things and there are several assumptions built into this scenario but under it they keep the core group this year and everyone but MJ for the following three. That's a lifetime in football.

Just wanted to pull this out of the game thread. On the pregame show last night Schefter said the Bengals were making a "major push" to get a deal done with Geno. Here's his espn.com followup.

After locking up defensive end Carlos Dunlap with a long-term extension earlier this summer, the Cincinnati Bengals are now making a major push to sign Pro Bowl defensive tackle Geno Atkins to a long-term deal, a source familiar with the situation said Thursday.

Talent evaluators said this week they regard Atkins as the best defensive tackle in the NFL, and the Bengals recognize that.

The two sides have been engaged in talks for weeks in an attempt to get a deal done.

The Bengals have been known for being conservative in the past. But when it comes to their young defensive line talent, they are being aggressive.

About an hour and a half later, Muckraker Mike weighed in. According to his sources, there is nothing new going on.

Yes, the Bengals and defensive tackle Geno Atkins have been talking about extending a rookie deal that expires after the coming season.

No, a deal isn’t on the brink of happening.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, nothing is imminent between the Bengals and Atkins. The talks, which we’re told have been occurring for months, have no clear timeline.

The talks were first reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

So that's the latest.

The two reports aren't necessarily contradictory, but we know so little that I'm hesitant to speculate.

Could they mean that the Bengals bumped their offer, but not enough to entice Atkins to sign? Sure.

Could Shefty's report be someone in the FO trying to make Geno's camp look greedy? Could be.

Could Shefty or Florio just be wrong? Yup.

What is "really" going on is anyone's guess.

The two reports aren't necessarily contradictory, but we know so little that I'm hesitant to speculate.

Could they mean that the Bengals bumped their offer, but not enough to entice Atkins to sign? Sure.

Could Shefty's report be someone in the FO trying to make Geno's camp look greedy? Could be.

Could Shefty or Florio just be wrong? Yup.

What is "really" going on is anyone's guess.

I think what is "really" going on is that the two sides are talking. That's really all I need to be happy at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

It a funny thing about Maybin. He was drafted so highly, and has made so much money, I find it hard to believe that he cares much about football.

I had holes that Goard would end up on the PS. he still could be picked up by a team that is thin at WR (NE, NYJ, KC, Miami, Baltimore, Chicago)

my thoughts on the rb cuts that's going to come. gio, boom should be locks. i know some people may thing diff. i think it should come down to rex and bjge as the final backs to face being cut. prefer rex. just think that the ones i named will be the most effective backs. bjge is just straight line rb. the other have wiggle speed hands cheaper n r play-makers. they just fit the system better.

IMHO BJGE is a lock to make this team and Marvin pretty said as much when he said "Green-Ellis doesn't have anything to prove to me." Gio is also a lock and the question is between Rex, Cedric, and Boom, who gets #3 and who gets the PS spot. Personally I think it is between Boom and Rex with the loser going on the PS.

It is certainly a call I don't want to make.

BJGE and Gio are locks.

Boom is not only a ST guy, but I see him as the backup for BJGE. More of a straight ahead between the tackles guy if need be.

I think the last spot is more between Peerman and Burkhead.

I also don't think there is anyway in hell Burkhead survives the waiver process to get to the practice squad.

If they want him, they have to find a spot or he'll be gone.

Again, real tough call.

Yeah, I really think you could make an argument for any of them and not be wrong.

They have all done well to this point. It's a nice problem to have for sure.

With Peerman signing his 2 year extension this season, I would think he's a favorite as well.

Then again, that was before they drafted Gio and Burkhead.

Peterman is pretty much a star on special teams, I just don't see any way they cut him. Things change, though. In my opinion Herron is better playing the running back position.

If bulkhead (iPhone autocorrect in action) can play special teams, I think they'll keep him. If he can't, I think Herron sticks. I can't see either of those guys surviving waivers, so IMO it will be goodbye to one of them.

I am trying to take a common sense approach to young players being cut/passed through waivers/going to practice squad. I am trying to ID the players, in reality, that if cut would not make it through waivers, and may need to protected on the 53-man roster.

Here are the players I see that could get claimed (may need 53-man roster protection):

DiManche (very high probability of getting claimed if cut)

Burkhead

Hamilton (low probability of getting claimed, but possible)

Players that would likely make it to PS (if eligible, correct me on that if needed):

Herron

Fragel

McCalebb

Prater

Lewis-Harris

T. Stephens

B. Taylor

J. Campbell

Others

So, the three listed above as possible waiver claims may dictate those position battles, and I see all three making the team.

LB and WR will be trickiest but IR and PUP will play a role there before it is said and done.

With all the injuries to WR's, I would FULLY expect Hamilton to get snagged going through the waiver process.

His talent warranted a selection earlier in the draft process, but many of the teams selected WR's earlier and I think he just slipped for that reason.

Fragel is another one that could get snagged as well.

He's raw, but really intriguing.