Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

So since today is the "official" start of free agency, let me catch this thing up and summarize where we are:

Michael Johnson obviously got the tag for the 2013 season.

Bengals Players Resigned for 2013

Cedric Peerman, RB

Kevin Huber, P

Clark Harris, LS

Mike Nugent, K

Wallace Gilberry, DE

Non-Bengal Free Agents Signed for 2013

Aaron Maybin, LB

Dane Sanzenbacher, WR

Lavasier Tuinei, WR

Bengals Players Lost to Free Agency

None at this time

I would have had this done sooner, but I spent the weekend in Columbus with Mrs. Armybengal at a Bon Jovi concert.

Yes, i'm serious...

I'll outsource this to Matt in the comments of this article.

This offers a simple truth about the Bengals supposed cap space...a lot of those guys at the top getting paid peanuts are already free agents or will require new deals in the next year or two. The team has gotten to the point where they may have to let guys like Geathers walk and not re-sign them. He got that contract after a 10.5 sack season. Now I'll be the first to say his production is way below his pay. But he is a guy who while not producing is not going to make a lot of mistakes. He's also the leader of that D line unit, he mentored every one of those guys. He's versatile as well. In his time with the Bengals he's started at RDE, LDE, DT & LOLB. They have also asked him to change weight a lot. When he was recording sacks he weighed 260-265 lbs. Then they had him bulk up 285-290 to play DT. The next season he was back to DE and 270. The following year they wanted to use him at LOLB at about 260. Over the last 2 years Zimmer has steadied him out at 275. Where he is mainly used as a post in the D line. His job is mainly to stand his man up in the gap and force the run somewhere else. In fact sometimes his job is to fill the C gap, while being in reach of the B gap. He's also dropped out into a flat zone sometimes too. Either way there are not a lot of guys who can start 3 positions on D and play in a weight range of 260-290. But that doesn't mean he should be making 6M a year. Yet he has been with them his whole career and all but one of the Marvin Lewis years. At this point Geathers, Whitworth & Peko are the guys who have led the team since Palmer split town. THey organized workouts during the lockout, they police the locker room and the rookies. I think they are going to want him back. And I think there won't be much of a market for him outside of the 2-3M range. If the Bengals can lock on for that price they will. If it's much higher I think they will have to pass. If they pass on him altogether then it's clear they think that they think that leaders are starting to emerge from the young guys.

He's right at some point the bengals need to let these guys go, and spend the money on better FA of there own. They let guys like JJoe go, and I'm hoping they sign Smith, but because they spend money on guys who just don't have it. Like I said I like Geathers, but it better be for cheap

He's right at some point the bengals need to let these guys go, and spend the money on better FA of there own. They let guys like JJoe go, and I'm hoping they sign Smith, but because they spend money on guys who just don't have it. Like I said I like Geathers, but it better be for cheap

To geathers Defense he was mainly playing 1st downs & running downs since you want Dunlap in there as much as possible.

Numbers are still low but I'm okay with it for 2-2.5million range...But we do not improve by letting our top players go we didn't get better by letting Joseph walk and drafting Kirkpatrick(who would been better replacement for hall)We won't get better by letting Andre walk and trying to replace him.

Mike Goodson visiting tomorrow.

/>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mike-goodson-to-visit-cincinnati-bengals-233405243.html;_ylt=ApGjauMgj8CHkob5MPxs1sELcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

I'll never understand the Bengals' "priorities."

It seems they like to pat themselves on the back for over-paying guys that are easy to sign and command modest salary #'s. I mean are teams really going to go after Geathers that hard? Would they really miss him much? I mean why not go after guys you "want" who can make you better first, then worry about the low-hanging fruit afterwards? And if you don't get everyone signed, big deal, you have the draft to worry about that crap. I know Geathers "works hard and is a good locker room guy," but how much is that worth after so many years of mediocrity?

Goodson's nothing special, but I don't have any objections either, yet you saw the team with the most cap space already state that guys like Bush (and apparently Mendenhall) were "too expensive."

Most teams are looking to upgrade, the Bengals' seem to be fine with just staying the same or filling positions with adequate/mediocre bodies.

Gets old. It's why they can't win a playoff game (said ad nauseum).

Hobson says the bengals are down to 14 million to spend, now how in the hell did they go from 50 million to now 14, by signing a couple of low paying guys?? However teams like Miami can spend like crazy, but had less money to spend then the bengals??? These are the things that confuse me this time of year, i dont understand the money aspect, especially when the bengals had the most to spend.

As far as Goodson goes, his average is great, but couldnt they get a back in the first or second round who is better then he is?

/>http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mike-goodson-to-visit-cincinnati-bengals-233405243.html;_ylt=ApGjauMgj8CHkob5MPxs1sELcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Nm mixed him up,Hmm Did he play under hue?

Nm mixed him up,Hmm Did he play under hue?

I don't believe so. Had a pretty good 2010 in Carolina except for major fumbling issues.

Hobson is also guessing on who will or won't be signed back when figuring those numbers.

He thinks PacMan and Newman will also be back and is guessing at their salaries as well.

Bottomline is that he's full of sh*t. It's why I don't bother with his spiel anymore.

The Bengals signing guys like Geathers will only bother me if it is at the expense of someone who is a greater need.

So, if we keep Geathers and lose Andre Smith, I won't be happy.

Couldn't they just as easily waited to see what happens with a position and player of greater importance ??

If they were to lose out on Geathers while waiting, is it really that big of a loss ??

Most wanted him cut the past few years. I mean really.

• Like 1

It seems they like to pat themselves on the back for over-paying guys that are easy to sign and command modest salary #'s. I mean are teams really going to go after Geathers that hard? Would they really miss him much? I mean why not go after guys you "want" who can make you better first, then worry about the low-hanging fruit afterwards? And if you don't get everyone signed, big deal, you have the draft to worry about that crap. I know Geathers "works hard and is a good locker room guy," but how much is that worth after so many years of mediocrity?

Goodson's nothing special, but I don't have any objections either, yet you saw the team with the most cap space already state that guys like Bush (and apparently Mendenhall) were "too expensive."

Most teams are looking to upgrade, the Bengals' seem to be fine with just staying the same or filling positions with adequate/mediocre bodies.

Disagree with your comment that most teams look to upgrade while the bengals are fine staying the same. The teams that go out and sign these big free agents are the same teams that lose big free agents to other teams or have to cut big names after they sign guys.

Look at the dolphins. They sign Ellerbe - and everyone talks about what a great job they're doing. Then they turn around and cut Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett. They're not any better off. They're just treading water.

Teams like the eagles sign big names every off-season. In order to do so, they also lose big names every off-season.

I think sometimes fans just get bored and want to change the names of guys on their team just for the sake of change.

Teams would be better off keeping their big names and improving by adding targeted complementary pieces, then acquiring as much talent as possible in the draft, building on he talent they already have, rather than always over-turning their roster by simultaneously signing big name guys while getting rid of other big name guys.

It's as if some fans would rather sign a big name like Mike Wallace while losing another big name like AJ Green than just keeping AJ Green in the first place. Because that's essentially what most of these teams do every year when they sign big name guys.

Welcome aboard, Hayden. :cheers:

I would have liked to see them go harder at Bush, but other than that, less than one day into things I'm not unhappy. I give them props for keeping the d-line intact (apparently they learned their lesson last year) and the word on Moobs is promising. And there are interesting names still out there. And so far they have NOT re-signed Maualuga, which is addition by subtraction all the way.

Disagree with your comment that most teams look to upgrade while the bengals are fine staying the same. The teams that go out and sign these big free agents are the same teams that lose big free agents to other teams or have to cut big names after they sign guys.

Look at the dolphins. They sign Ellerbe - and everyone talks about what a great job they're doing. Then they turn around and cut Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett. They're not any better off. They're just treading water.

Teams like the eagles sign big names every off-season. In order to do so, they also lose big names every off-season.

I think sometimes fans just get bored and want to change the names of guys on their team just for the sake of change.

Teams would be better off keeping their big names and improving by adding targeted complementary pieces, then acquiring as much talent as possible in the draft, building on he talent they already have, rather than always over-turning their roster by simultaneously signing big name guys while getting rid of other big name guys.

It's as if some fans would rather sign a big name like Mike Wallace while losing another big name like AJ Green than just keeping AJ Green in the first place. Because that's essentially what most of these teams do every year when they sign big name guys.

I agree with this, but they should spend big money, on there own guys who deserve it like Andre Smith. Thats what made me mad a couple of years ago when JJoe left, spend the money on your own guys, who are still young, and have alot of football left, instead of letting them walk, and they end up signing cheaper free agents. Im just hoping they start keeping there guys, even those who want more money, because they deserve it.

Hobson is also guessing on who will or won't be signed back when figuring those numbers.

He thinks PacMan and Newman will also be back and is guessing at their salaries as well.

Bottomline is that he's full of sh*t. It's why I don't bother with his spiel anymore.

The Bengals signing guys like Geathers will only bother me if it is at the expense of someone who is a greater need.

So, if we keep Geathers and lose Andre Smith, I won't be happy.

Couldn't they just as easily waited to see what happens with a position and player of greater importance ??

If they were to lose out on Geathers while waiting, is it really that big of a loss ??

Most wanted him cut the past few years. I mean really.

This is what i dont get about Hobson or Free Agency anymore. How do the bengals go from having some 50 million to spend, and they sign a couple of there guys, and now they only have 14 million left to sign?? When you have other teams out there spending money like its going out of style. Guess ill never understand the whole FA money, but according to Hobson thats hell of alot of money they spent on just a couple of guys.