Reds giving Aroldis Chapman a chance to start

BengalszoneBilly

Not a bad idea in my book. Toss him the ball and let him have at it.

Reds giving Aroldis Chapman a chance to start

By GARY SCHATZ (Associated Press) | The Associated Press – 17 hours ago

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) -- Aroldis Chapman was getting ready to start for the Cincinnati Reds last spring when the bullpen got wiped out by injuries, forcing a different approach. The hard-throwing Cuban became one of baseball's best closers in his first try at it.

He's on the same course this spring, trying to win a spot in the rotation - and his manager is keeping an open mind about where he'll end up eventually.

So is Chapman, who worked on his changeup over the winter to add another pitch in case he starts.

''I will prepare the same way I did last year,'' Chapman said, with trainer Tomas Vera translating. ''I would like to start a season and throw as many innings as I can, but that's up to the team. When I was in Cuba, I threw 150 innings. I will prepare myself to throw as many innings as they want me to throw.''

Chapman, who turns 25 on Feb. 28, was expected to develop into a starter when the Reds signed him in 2010. He struggled with his control in the minors and the Reds used him as a reliever for the first time in his career to help them win the NL Central in 2010.

He was a setup man again in 2011, but had streaks of control problems. The Reds gave him a chance to do what's most familiar to him - start games - during spring training last season, and Chapman showed improvement.

When closer Ryan Madson tore a ligament in his elbow and the two setup men got hurt during spring training, manager Dusty Baker switched Chapman back into the bullpen, using him initially in a setup role and then as the closer. This time, Chapman excelled.

The left-hander didn't allow a run until his 16th appearance of the season. He didn't become the closer until May 20, yet tied for third in the NL in saves. From June 26 through Aug. 17, Chapman turned in 23 consecutive scoreless appearances. He converted a team-record 27 straight save chances.

The Reds told Chapman at the end of last season that they were planning to make him a starter. Their other five starters are right-handers, and Chapman - whose fastball has been clocked at 105 mph - would give the rotation a much different look.

''Chapman has the chance to be a top-flight starter,'' general manager Walt Jocketty said. ''I always wanted to have a left-hander in the rotation.''

Chapman threw mostly fastballs as a closer, mixing in an occasional slider. He has worked on his changeup in the offseason, knowing he'll need another pitch if he starts.

''He didn't throw the changeup too much, but it is better than his slider,'' Jocketty said. ''He is a great athlete. You ought to see him hit. He is one of the fastest runners on the team.''

The Reds signed Jonathan Broxton to a $21 million, three-year deal in November, giving themselves a closer and freeing Chapman to move to the rotation. Although they have faith in Broxton, it's a change that could have a big overall impact.

''It's kind of tough the way we had a shut-down bullpen last year,'' Baker said. ''We had the guys lined up.''

Baker wouldn't rule out moving Chapman back to the bullpen if injuries or other problems occur.

''That's a maybe,'' Baker said. ''It's the same situation as last year. We started with Chapman as a starter, then Ryan Madson went down. We had no idea that Chapman would be as good as a closer. I don't think anybody did.''

There's also the question of how many innings Chapman will be allowed to pitch as he moves into the new role. In his first season in the organization, he threw 109 innings. He totaled 71 2-3 innings last season.

Chapman has developed a tired shoulder on at least one occasion during his career with Cincinnati. The Reds will watch him closely to see how his shoulder handles the extra innings.

''It's a risk when you throw that hard anyway, you know?'' Baker said.

Chapman is willing to do whatever the Reds ask. Although he was initially concerned about the move to the bullpen because he'd never done it before, he's now comfortable with closing games and wouldn't mind doing it again.

''I have never started in the big leagues,'' Chapman said. ''I've had success as a reliever. If I had to choose, I would chose to do what I've had success with. But I will do whatever they want me to do.''

I like most of the moves that the Reds have made this season.

I'm still a little leary of Broxton, he has had his struggles in the past.

Shoo was a great pick up for a lead off hitter, but can he play centerfeild in the bigger parks? GAB shouldnt be a problem, maybe Heisey gets some starts in San Fran and other huge centerfield parks.

Hopefully one of the new utility IF's can actually contribute with the bat, that has been a problem for two years now.

Can Ludwick repeat last seasons #'s? I sure hope so.

I like the Olivio vet catcher pick up as insurance against another lackluster performance by Mesoroco. Hannigan needs some days off, especially in the heat of July/August.

What will they do with Leake, if he is not a starter? Long relief? I thought LeCure and Simon had that spot wrapped up.

Leake might be headed to the minors if he is eligible.

This team looks to be one of the best in MLB, hopefully injuries stay away all season and we can see just how far they can go.

I will say that while the plan may have been to get Chapman in the rotation last year and they may be looking at him in that capacity again this year, I still wouldn't say it's a certainty to happen. Not due to possible injuries, but rather the overall impact on the team.

There are still many questions to be answered.

How will his arm hold up throwing that many innings each game ??

Can he maintain velocity on his pitches throughout a game ??

Does our bullpen go from being DOMINANT to merely ok ??

It really wouldn't surprise me to see him back in the bullpen to start the season.

Most of the talking heads say the bullpen is exactly where he'll end up.

And what was news to me was that Chapman said the other day that he'd like to pitch in a place where he's already had success...a.k.a. the closer's role. That's the first time I've heard this from him. Of course, he then went on to say that he's happy to do whatever the team asks of him.

I can see the allure of moving him into the starting spot. We're one strong starter away from having one of the best rotations in baseball. Still, if I had to pick today, I'd call him a closer and be good with it. Apparently he's spent a long time this offseason working on his change up which would make him all the deadlier in the closer's spot.

The Reds lack a starting LH pitcher, Chapman will make the rotation much better if he is just average. It makes teams adjust the roster to face a LHer and also makes the RHer that follows him the next start harder to pick up. Most elite rotations have at least one star LHer.

I have no problem with him in the closers role, but unless there are glaring holes in the BP, they have to try him at starter.

The arm tiredness came from him never having to pitch live games back to back in his career. He has alwasy been a starter and has already pitched more than 100 innnings a season in CUBA as one.

IMO he is going to be a very good starter for sure and has the chance to be something very special. Just imagine a rotation with Cueto as the #2 and Latos as the #3 starters, Oh, I think I have to go clean up my shorts!

The Reds lack a starting LH pitcher, Chapman will make the rotation much better if he is just average. It makes teams adjust the roster to face a LHer and also makes the RHer that follows him the next start harder to pick up. Most elite rotations have at least one star LHer.

I have no problem with him in the closers role, but unless there are glaring holes in the BP, they have to try him at starter.

The arm tiredness came from him never having to pitch live games back to back in his career. He has alwasy been a starter and has already pitched more than 100 innnings a season in CUBA as one.

IMO he is going to be a very good starter for sure and has the chance to be something very special. Just imagine a rotation with Cueto as the #2 and Latos as the #3 starters, Oh, I think I have to go clean up my shorts!

Yep, that's certainly what they have in mind.

The flip side is that we saw him get shoulder fatigue last year in limited innings. If he ends up on the DL after half the season, then we're going to be far worse off.

The flip side is that we saw him get shoulder fatigue last year in limited innings. If he ends up on the DL after half the season, then we're going to be far worse off.

Well they said the shoulder was from to many games in a short time frame, as a starter there is more time to rest between games. This is also the routine he has always had before coming to the REDS, so being a starter might be better for his arm.

Well they said the shoulder was from to many games in a short time frame, as a starter there is more time to rest between games. This is also the routine he has always had before coming to the REDS, so being a starter might be better for his arm.

It's certainly possible.

This is just one of those moves where you look like a genius or the largest morons on the planet.

If it works, then, like I said, we have one of the best rotations in baseball.

If it doesn't, then you took what we already had...the best closer in baseball, and thew him away for nothing.

Makes me glad I'm not making the decisions tongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I read an article in this past Sunday paper where Chapman was interviewed and he stated he wanted to remain in the closers role.

Funny, I always thought he viewed himself as a starter that had to do what was asked of him due to injuries.

Maybe he just found his niche and is happy about it.

I read an article in this past Sunday paper where Chapman was interviewed and he stated he wanted to remain in the closers role.

Funny, I always thought he viewed himself as a starter that had to do what was asked of him due to injuries.

Maybe he just found his niche and is happy about it.

Since coming here he has always stated he would do whatever asked of him, but he wanted to start. Now he is getting that chance and he is still stating he will do whatever is asked of him, but he wants to be the closer.

Grass is always greener, I guess.

Maybe it's the fastball.

You know, getting the chance to go out there for a full inning and bring the gas every pitch.

Ooing and ahing the crowd with his awesome display of power.

As opposed to pitching more innings, needing to change things up, and not be so flashy.

Who knows ??

I'm not sure why this is news all the sudden. I read it weeks ago (see post #6), but it just now seems to be popping up.

Either way, I hope they let him do what he wants. His wanting to be a starter was the main reason I supported the switch initially. But if the guy wants to close and feels comfortable doing so, then by all means. Let him do it.