Ogletree popped for DUI

Many draft people have us taking him at #19. With this arrest Mike might be able to wait and grab him in the 2nd round.

DUI charge another red flag for projected 1st-rounder Alec Ogletree

By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

February 17, 2013 9:02 am ET

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree was arrested and charged with driving under the influence last week. (US Presswire)

Linebacker Alec Ogletree, who led Georgia with 111 tackles despite being suspended for four games, recently was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence, according to his agent.

The projected first-round pick “was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye Jr. told Profootballtalk.com. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

Ogletree (6-3, 237) announced he'd enter the draft after making a team-high 13 tackles in the win over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl.

Coach Mark Richt suspended Ogletree for the first four games of 2012 because he failed drug tests during spring practice. Ogletree also was arrested for the theft of a Georgia track athlete's motorcycle helmet in September 2010 and was suspended for his first college game.

“Of course there are some things I wish I could take back," the junior told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in announcing he was turning pro. "But, you know, overall I feel like I had a great time here at Georgia and I'm going to cherish that ‘til I die."

Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said Ogletree, who moved from safety to linebacker as a sophomore, could be a “special” inside linebacker in the NFL.

“That's why we moved him there,” Grantham told the paper. “He's a guy who can play tight coverage, he's a good blitzer and he's a special player.”

In 10 games last season, Ogletree had 11.5 tackles for loss, nine quarterback hurries, five pass breakups, three sacks, two fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and an interception.

Before the arrest, CBSSports.com's Rob Rang projected Ogletree going 19th to the Bengals. Fellow analyst Dane Brugler had Ogletree going 26th to the Packers.

It remains to be seen whether the arrest will hurt Ogletree's stock, as he's headed to the NFL Combine this week for athletic testing and multiple interviews.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed, watch Pro Football 360 daily at 3 ET and NFL newsletter. You can also follow Larry Hartstein @LarryHartstein.

Well, I hope he can, because Rey is a perfect example of someone with all the tools and never being able to put it together.

While i'm sure others will disagree, I would rather them move Burfict to the middle and draft a high end OLB as opposed to taking this chance.

There's just a smarter way of doing things when we have a team so close to getting over the hump.

That's the difference though Billy.

We are talking about the difference between an undrafted free agent who had no other issues than an attitude problem and possibly using a 2n round pick on a kid with alcohol and drug problems. I was ok with Ogletree as a possibility when it was a single failed drug test in college. Now you add a DUI to his resume right before the combine and you have a larger problem in my opinion. If he falls to the 5th, sure. If not, I will be more than happy to pass and not lose a second of sleep.

I think the third round would be the highest he should even be looked at, for the Bengals. There are other impact players that pose no character risks to pick in the earlier rounds.

That's what i'm saying, there's simply other players without the baggage that would help this team through the first 3 rounds.

There's no reason to take the risk.

I'm already in favor of moving Burfict to the middle and drafting Kaseem Greene, the OLB from Rutgers in the 2nd anyway.

No draft risks before round 5 please.

The dude has bargin written all over him. Mikie can't pass that up!

Filed under "sad but true." I don't think there is any way he slides out of the first. There were already character ???'s about him and they weren't hurting his stock. As to him being a Bengal, check in again after free agency.

Yeah, the Bengals haven't done too well with players out of Georgia. A quick check of the draft boards still has us as the most likely team to take him.

Go figure.

Well you know except for that A.J. Green fellow, he turned out ok.

Yeah, we snagged a good one there of course, others we weren't so lucky with.

Sure sounds a lot like Odell Thurmond and that didn't turn out too well

Thank you for another voice of reason.

I will say it again, if the kid drops like a rock into the 4th or later (it won't happen) then fine, but I can't see taking chance on him in the 1st or second round when there are immediate impact players that wouldn't present such a risk. This team is simply to close to be taking chances like that.

I believe it's called the "Dumbass Factor".

Then again he had a previous failed drug test as well, so that might bump it to the "F*cking Dumbass Factor".

And I feel like he had an incident his freshman year regarding theft, but I could be completely making that up.

Regardless, they captured a shot of his agent shortly after the DUI. Here it is:

dash.gif