2013 Bengals Big Board

So just for kicks while watching the games today I went through 40-odd mocks on walterfootball mock draft database that had been updated since 1/1. Lots of variation. Our initial leading candidate is LSU DE Sam Montgomery, followed by BYU DE Ezekiel Ansah and Florida S Matt Elam.

Montgomery: 9 votes

Ansah: 5

Elam: 5

3 votes each:

LB Kevin Minter, LSU

DE/LB Dion Jordan, Oregon

S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

2 votes each:

LB CJ Mosley, 'Bama

DE/LB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

CB Johnathan Banks, Mississippi State

1 vote each:

OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

S Tony Jefferson, Oaklahoma

S Eric Reid, LSU

LB Monti Te'o, ND

WR Keenan Allen, Cal

DT Johnathan Jenkins, Florida

WR Tavon Austin, Wisconsin

LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

DE Alex Okafor, Texas

I understand they think MJ won't be back, but I think that's incorrect.

I don't think the Bengals will let him go and try to cross the Dunlap bridge when they get to it.

That being said, there is no need to take DE early, if at all.

Give me Matt Elam with little to no thought at all.

Him and Nelson coupled with Hall having another offseason to get even healthier and Kirkpatrick hopefully coming back strong and that is a secondary that becomes a great strength in both the pass and run game. Coupled with Maualuga, it's a huge reason this team get eaten alive by TE's.

Get me an impact RB and an OLB with the two 2nd rounders.

I would say draft a center, but this is a really weak class for that and we don't need one more than the other 3 positions.

Let Cook and Robinson battle it out in camp and address it the following year if need be, but I like Robinson.

With our defense already quite strong and our offense currently rather weak, I just cant see going with a defender in round 1 unless that draftee is both light years better than the next best offensive player available AND plays at a position of great need, like MLB, S, or possibly CB (so much age and/or chronic health conditions at that spot)

That said, yeah, I can see the Walter's voters are picking defenders for us, mostly

If MJ does walk (and we should know by then if he is walking) then yeah, give me a pass rushing DE.

If we re-sign him, then no, except as noted above, gimme an offensive player instead

I would be fine with going DE later, like maybe the 3rd or 4th round as I forgot about both Geathers and Gilberry.

For the argument about safety not being a need, might I suggest going back and watching how the defense has handled opposing TE's. No, check that, just go rewatch the playoff game and what Owen Daniels was able to do. It's been that way all season and a safety worth more than a stale pack of rolos would change that whole dynamic.

Guard was never a first round priority for this team in the past until the last draft and I doubt anyone in the organization is questioning the pick of Zeitler right about now. Disregarding safety has been an issue for this team for quite some time and it's time for that to change.

The need for a WR will be handled within, so no need at least early on.

RB can be addressed with one of the first 4 picks and be a big upgrade as well.

The line is going to have to figure itself out.

Do they bring back Smith ?? Boling and Zeitler are set. Cook is garbage, but he's not going anywhere and I think Robinson will be very good. Do they draft a future replacement for Whitworth sooner than later ??

I'm simply guessing they don't address the o-line early, but won't be surprised or angered if they do.

What do you think of drafting Alabama's Barrett Jones with our first rd pick? Too early for a center? Look what Pouncey has done for the Steelers. If we're going to insist on playing Cook at C, I'd be for drafting a C #1 so they're not tempted

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632207

Bad news: per Gruden on da site today, no need to GIMME A LINEMAN. Sorry, TJ.

He'd better give Robinson a fair shot at winning the job at C then

In the extended piece now up on bengals.com his opinion is to let them fight it out in TC. So I suppose we will see.

Well, they did pretty good picking Robinson out of the UDFA pile.

True enough

Now we need more dominant personnel

I think Robinson is 'solid', but we now need 'good', or better still, 'great'

Maybe that big postage tab for sending all those boxes of college game film to McNally up in Buffalo was worth it.

I did not know McNally was working for us again

Seriously?

I though he was still toiling away as an OL coach somewhere, albeit I'd lost track of where

• 2 weeks later...

This is the third time today I have tried to get this posted.

While I have been pimping Matt Elam, the safety out of Florida, and still will. There is a player that I want to put in as a VERY close #2. I thought it was a weak class, but I did some digging and give you my co-pimp player:

Barrett Jones, OC/OG/OT, Alabama

This is a kid that has not only played each position on the o-line, he has played them all at an award winning level against current and future NFL players in the SEC. He earned his undergraduate degree with a 4.0 GPA and started his masters program in his junior year at Alabama, so I don't think intelligence is going to be a problem. He's was an established leader and role model in his commmunity, a real high character kid. Oh yeah, he's also 6'4, 310 pounds.

Some may say it's crazy to take him at #21, but he wouldn't be there with our first pick in the 2nd round.

I would have ZERO problem with Jones being the pick at #21. TJ, there's your lineman !!!

I would like to see them package draft picks to slide up

As we know the Bengals historically don't make this type of move, but I wonder if packaging to slide DOWN the draft for extra picks would be more likely considered by the front office

This is the third time today I have tried to get this posted.

While I have been pimping Matt Elam, the safety out of Florida, and still will. There is a player that I want to put in as a VERY close #2. I thought it was a weak class, but I did some digging and give you my co-pimp player:

This is a kid that has not only played each position on the o-line, he has played them all at an award winning level against current and future NFL players in the SEC. He earned his undergraduate degree with a 4.0 GPA and started his masters program in his junior year at Alabama, so I don't think intelligence is going to be a problem. He's was an established leader and role model in his commmunity, a real high character kid. Oh yeah, he's also 6'4, 310 pounds.

Some may say it's crazy to take him at #21, but he wouldn't be there with our first pick in the 2nd round.

I would have ZERO problem with Jones being the pick at #21. TJ, there's your lineman !!!

PLUS

ONE

Bad news: per Gruden on da site today, no need to GIMME A LINEMAN. Sorry, TJ.

He'd better give Robinson a fair shot at winning the job at C then

In the extended piece now up on bengals.com his opinion is to let them fight it out in TC. So I suppose we will see.

Seeing as they decided on Cook late in the year even though he had not outperformed Robinson, I have little confidence that they'll truly let this be a fair competition in training camp. If Cook's healthy they'll give him the nod and make excuses for why his play is lacking and why it'll get better. Put me in the camp of taking Barrett Jones. I'll even be OK with him moving to another position on the line if it suits the Bengals needs. I don't see how we can go wrong with him. What I do know is I'm sick and tired of seeing pockets collapse in Andy Dalton's face

Dude just mowed my lawn (in January), and helped my old granny across the street. Now he's making hamburger helper and helping my 9-year-old with his math homework.