Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

I'd like to see them get creative and package some of the draft picks for either RB Ben Tate of the Texans or WR Larry Fitzgerald of the Cards. Niether of these players has to be happy with the situation they are in with current teams.

The Cards seem like they would be a good target to give a couple of picks (maybe a second and third) to get Larry. Can you imagine what having Green and Fitzgerald opposite each other would do for the offense? Remember one of our second rounders is still Palmer compensation, so really all we would be giving up is a freebie and a third rounder to secure one of the best WR's in the game.

If they truly want to win a SB, now is the year to break open the piggy bank. This would result in a couple of really good years followed by at least 3-5 years of rebuilding after losing some talent to FA that cannot be resign due to cap limitations. I for one would like to see them be the team that leads the FA/trading period this offseason and make a talented young playoff contender, the it pick to win the SB.

Fitzgerald is not really in a position to dictate terms of a contract after the year he had, even though it was due to bad QB play. I could see the chance that he wants to be a champion and would take less money to come to a team like the Bengals to get that done.

What I'm extremely curious about is to see how they handle their DT rotation. I think Sims proved his worth, and they love Peko for very obvious reasons. But, they also have two talented young DTs who were inactive almost every week. So, do they re-sign all of their d-line talent or do they part ways with some of that big money in order to utilize some of the young (and cheap) talent they have on their roster.

Option #2 is smarter from a business standpoint assuming they have shown enough development to handle the workload. But if they end up re-signing everyone, then what do they do with Thompson and Stills? Just let them sit on the roster to rot?

What I'm extremely curious about is to see how they handle their DT rotation. I think Sims proved his worth, and they love Peko for very obvious reasons. But, they also have two talented young DTs who were inactive almost every week. So, do they re-sign all of their d-line talent or do they part ways with some of that big money in order to utilize some of the young (and cheap) talent they have on their roster.

Option #2 is smarter from a business standpoint assuming they have shown enough development to handle the workload. But if they end up re-signing everyone, then what do they do with Thompson and Stills? Just let them sit on the roster to rot?

IMO Stills could be used as a DE/DT rotational guy and Thompson is the backup run stuffer behind Sims. If they get rid of anybody it would probably be Geathers or Peko. I like Peko alot so hopefully Geathers will move on to a new team.

Mem is dreading the next week after Baltimore lucked into that today.

As for Kruger, his best years are dead ahead of him...he's had a long learning curve but looks ready to be an impact player for years. He will cost though. Not sure Ravens can afford to keep him.

This is what I would like to see happen in FA and the draft...

Resign Andre and MJ. Sign Maualuga if the price is right. IMO, he's just not a 3 down LB. Extend Geno, boy does he deserve it. Go after Deshawn Gholston hard (one of the best SS in the biz). In the draft take the best DE available at 21, my hope is Ezekiel Ansah (a Jason Pierre-Paul clone. 6'6" 270 and probably the best pure athelete in the draft.) Unfortunately, I expect his stock to soar after he rips up the combine. With the 37th pick I want Geovani Bernard, RB, UNC. He would be a great compliment to Green-Ellis, and the kind of home run hitter this offense has missed at the RB position. With our other second 2nd round pick, the best LB available.

This is what I would like to see happen in FA and the draft...

Resign Andre and MJ. Sign Maualuga if the price is right. IMO, he's just not a 3 down LB. Extend Geno, boy does he deserve it. Go after Deshawn Gholston hard (one of the best SS in the biz). In the draft take the best DE available at 21, my hope is Ezekiel Ansah (a Jason Pierre-Paul clone. 6'6" 270 and probably the best pure athelete in the draft.) Unfortunately, I expect his stock to soar after he rips up the combine. With the 37th pick I want Geovani Bernard, RB, UNC. He would be a great compliment to Green-Ellis, and the kind of home run hitter this offense has missed at the RB position. With our other second 2nd round pick, the best LB available.

I'm with you except for Rey. I think it's time to move Burfict over to MLB. Rey might be depth at this point. Sick of him 4 yds. beside/behind the TE on every pass over the middle.

On that note, I can find a reason to take to many positions with the #21 overall.

RB, DE, S, WR, LB, OC

With me still being enamored with Elam, another spot in my top three at #21 would be center.

The kid out of Alabama strikes me as a plug and play, versatile type of guy capable of starting from day one.

Fire Cook's ass and have Robinson as the backup.

Thing is, I just don't think the organization views Cook the same way most of us here do.

A LB would be the other spot in my top three at #21.

I have been meaning at looking at the upcoming free agent WR's, because I think that would be a better way to solidfy the offense as opposed to drafting one in the upper rounds. Put some of that 50+ million to work.

Things I noticed from this past weekend of football:

1. The Bengals offense is far away from competing at a playoff level

2. Playoff teams have a DOMINATING QB or a DOMINATING running game

3. The winning QB's were sacked 3 times total

What did you guys notice?

Yep your right this offense is very far from being playoff level. Watching those young QBs play like that was just awesome, and there are times that Dalton flahses, but then he goes back to being just average again. They really need to work with Dalton from after what i have seen this weekend, to get him past the next level. There are going to be times where the defense might not be playing at its best and they will need Dalton to come through. So whether its Gruden or not its time to work with Dalton on his weaknesses. I watched video of Dalton in college, showing his flaws, and it looks like he has not really improved all that much, on some stuff sure, but the main stuff not yet.

Far from playoff level? I don't think so. We saw them really put it together at times this season. All they lack is consistency.

How to fix that issue is the real question.

I agree, I didnt watch all the games but what I saw were teams that the Bengals can be competative with. They are not going to win all the time against those teams but they will win or make a game of it most of the time. The Bengals are a very young team, with some key additions and another year for the young guys, this team can be just as good or better than most of the playoff teams from this season.

I will stay in the camp saying this offense is a solid, healthy #2 WR, a shiny new RB, and some o-line bolstering from being a MUCH improved unit. I would like to add a personal vet WR to go along with that as well. I don't know why almost all of that can't be accomplished in the offseason with people getting healthy (Sanu), draft picks, and possibly free agency.

Was the unit overmatched heading into the playoffs ?? Sure, we knew they were having issues the last four weeks of the season. However, I can't find a reason to NOT be optimistic about what the offense is capable of doing in 2013 even if they don't improve everything on my list.

Can they make all of the fixes needed to compete? I think so. Will they is another question.

But...if you watched the games this past weekend and think the Bengals could've scored 40 plus points needed to win those games. I want your drugs.

They have a long way to go. But they have the resources to get there.

Can they make all of the fixes needed to compete? I think so. Will they is another question.

But...if you watched the games this past weekend and think the Bengals could've scored 40 plus points needed to win those games. I want your drugs.

I dont think the D would have allowed 40 points to most of those teams, and they came close to winning the game with Denver when the O was doing well.

Oh Well, we will see next season.

Let's be realistic here, MB is not going to go after a big named FA WR. We just spent two draft picks on WR. Also, the Antonio Bryant signing is still recent enough to leave a bad taste in his mouth. I think we would all agree that the D is the closest unit to being elite. Bolster it in FA and the draft, and get a difference maker at RB. If they do that all the pieces will be in place to take the reigns in the AFC North, IMO.

I dont think the D would have allowed 40 points to most of those teams, and they came close to winning the game with Denver when the O was doing well.

Oh Well, we will see next season.

I hear you...but seeing the Patriots completely neutralize the Texans pass rush gave me no confidence that the Bengals could have done any better.

We need a couple more difference makers on offense. Badly.

Could the current Bengals team put up 40 points against the Patriots ??

There's absolutely no reason to see that as a possibility.

However, i'm referring to next season and not seeing there being all kinds of issues impossible to address.

We need a high draft pick used on RB. No problem with 3 picks in the first two rounds, 2 in the first 37.

We need a solid #2 WR. I still think Sanu makes all the difference. No reason to think the injury holds him back.

We need bolstering to the o-line. While they may not go after Cook's replacement, I think they bring back Dre.

With Whit, Dre, Boling, and Zeitler, I like 4 of the 5 o-linemen.

While I think they need a vet WR, it won't surprise me if they don't bother, so that's not huge in my opinion.

Green and Jones on the outside with Sanu working the slot. This improves things for Dalton and helps Jones grow into his role.

What's keeping people from thinking this offense will be above average next season ??

It's really hard to come up with a reason to think this won't get done unless people are extreme pessimists here.