Free agents...

GeorgeObererIII

I really don't understand the view that the Bengals only pay peanuts and don't want to pay anybody the going rate, let alone over pay them.

Well, it's probably a reflection of the fact that, historically speaking, the Bengals have sought to pay only peanuts and obsessed about "overpaying" and not "negotiating with themselves." Yes, there are exceptions. Palmer's $100 million megadeal springs quickly to mind. But they have come by their rep for frugality and thriftiness honestly.

The cynical bastige in me is mostly fueled by the sight of all those cheap young rookies and how lovely their tiny checks must look to the FO. There has to be a temptation to try to just cycle guys through every 3-5 years, to try and replace talent with talent and never (or only rarely) have to give out a big payday. And to be clear, I don't think Cincinnati's is the only FO in the league that is thinking that way. Look at the FA market. There is still a lot of decent vet talent out there, b ut no one is in a rush to sign. Vets cost money, you know. Rookies, well, they're screwed.

That's basically the Pittsburgh/Baltimore model and to some extent NE's too.

Andre sees himself as a left tackle, and I think he could be a left tackle. But to get there he'd need to display a work ethic and professionalism that has been lacking so far. His fitness isn't what it should be. His leadership is not apparent to me. He got the physical tools, but the intangibles didn't arrive along with them.

I know the Bengals have all intentions of holding onto their key players

I want to see some proof, and I want to see it NOW

If they are done negotiating with Harrison and Dansby, their CAP/Contract folks can at bare minimum start talking to Dunlap, Atkins, or even MJ.

After all, those folks are not tied up in anything revolving around the draft just yet

The cynical bastige in me is mostly fueled by the sight of all those cheap young rookies and how lovely their tiny checks must look to the FO. There has to be a temptation to try to just cycle guys through every 3-5 years, to try and replace talent with talent and never (or only rarely) have to give out a big payday.

That's not being a cynical bastige. That's being a realist. As soon as I understood the first contract wage scale under the new CBA, I suspected this would be the Brown family strategy going forward. Not surprised at all, but I am SHOCKED by the other teams that all seem to be using this strategy as well. I never expected that. Still can't see it lasting as we move forward. Jerra needs to get back in the game!

Also - NFL players need to wake up and play hardball in their negotiations. They should start building a fund or something to get them through a season with no paychecks. Then and only then will they get a better deal. Their one and only bargaining chip - their willingness to deprive the owners of a season of revenue, is not a legitimate threat, and everyone knows it. So this is what you get. Vets who thought they'd get a second contract worth 12 million over 4 years instead get a one year deal for 1.5 million or so.

I see myself as a brain surgeon.

What are your rates?

I'd like to get some upgrades put in, the sooner the better

Ok you got me, i'm not really a brain surgeon, but did play one in the Army once.

I know the Bengals have all intentions of holding onto their key players

I want to see some proof, and I want to see it NOW

If they are done negotiating with Harrison and Dansby, their CAP/Contract folks can at bare minimum start talking to Dunlap, Atkins, or even MJ.

After all, those folks are not tied up in anything revolving around the draft just yet

You left out a key part of my comment there:

"or at least that is what's been said to this point"

That makes a really big difference !!!

Suddenly Kerry Rhodes is the unintended poster boy of the recent NFL gay players activism.

http://bleacherrepor...-wasnt-a-secret

Hopefully Mikey and co. aren't fussed by something so irrelevant. Sign 'em now! Sadly this sort of crap might literally drive down the price.

Yeah, that was pointed out today by a co-worker of mine.

There are a ton of pics of the two of them and all kinds of crap.

Bottomline for me is, would he make our secondary better ?? Yeah ?? Ok, i'm good.

Hope dude is strong willed, he's going to need it.

That's not being a cynical bastige. That's being a realist. As soon as I understood the first contract wage scale under the new CBA, I suspected this would be the Brown family strategy going forward. Not surprised at all, but I am SHOCKED by the other teams that all seem to be using this strategy as well. I never expected that. Still can't see it lasting as we move forward. Jerra needs to get back in the game!

Well, Mike isn't the only owner with a nose for cash and the opportunity to back a few more dump trucks up to their collective money vaults has to be compelling. But I think you're right. The owners will soon run out of "old CBA" deals to dump and the spending floor will eventually compel them to part with at least a little coin. But I suspect the heyday of free agency is behind us. There will still be some big deals but nowhere near as many.

Also - NFL players need to wake up and play hardball in their negotiations. They should start building a fund or something to get them through a season with no paychecks. Then and only then will they get a better deal. Their one and only bargaining chip - their willingness to deprive the owners of a season of revenue, is not a legitimate threat, and everyone knows it. So this is what you get. Vets who thought they'd get a second contract worth 12 million over 4 years instead get a one year deal for 1.5 million or so.

Yup. There have already been grumbles. But I doubt they could do something like you suggest. Too disorganized.

I dont like the guy but if he helps us win a championship and kills big ben along the way that will make it slightly more bearable.

I can imagine the negotations.

Ben. Ok we offer 6 mill over 2 years no guarnteed money insentive based

Jh. No way i want 12 mill over 2 and 6 guarenteed

Ben. Oh look the sched just came out and we play the steelers twice on primetime deal or no deal

Jh. Smiles and says Deal

Well, if I were Zim, my response to Harrison would be "shrug." I have one of the top defenses in the league, and one that is already producing pressure at an elite level. I don't need Harrison and I don't have any reason to rush into changing my defense to accommodate a 35-year-old washout LB no one else wanted.

You aren't suggesting Zimmer had no say in this are you ??

I mean it's not like we are planning on switching to a 3-4 base, drafting all new players, and building this defense around Harrison.

He's just another piece. A piece that, welcomed or not, is better than any other piece we had prior to him being signed.

I think Marvin feels he just found his Peter Boulware, somebody he's been looking for awhile. They tried to use Lawson that way and he was awful, so I expect them to use Harrison the same, and line him up at different areas rushing the passer. Sound like the coaches are very happy they got him signed. Still hope for an early round draft pick, but no I doubt it.

Where do you get that? All I'm saying is that we don't need Harrison and Zim knows it. I'm sure he will take him since Lawson's gone, but he isn't changing his D for him.

People who think he will be anything more than a bit player are going to be disappointed.

Where do you get that? All I'm saying is that we don't need Harrison and Zim knows it. I'm sure he will take him since Lawson's gone, but he isn't changing his D for him.

People who think he will be anything more than a bit player are going to be disappointed.

Not being funny, just asking.

I should have rephrased.

If we draft a LB early, like i'm hoping for, him being nothing more than that is fine by me.