Bengals @ Texans Wild Card Weekend Pregame Thread

HoosierCat

Considering Schaub's recent struggles, I expect Houston to try to come at us AFC North style and run the ball early and often. The Bengals must contain that running game, because if the Texans have success then everything else they love to do will suddenly open wide up. The pass rush will be hampered, and play-action (nobody does it better than Houston) could expose our over-pursuit problem at the linebacker level.

Stop the run. Dictate defensively to the Texans that they must throw the football. Play a steady on offense and don't make critical mistakes that can turn any game upside down. Protect the quarterback. No holding penalties in the redzone. No dumb delays of game. And for crap's sake, Marvin -- be responsible with your timeouts! Don't challenge it unless it's worth challenging, and don't spend them on f**king kickoffs.

The Texans can be thrown on. The opportunities will be there for the passing game. Establish that, complement with BGJE.

The defense will do it's thing but must contain Foster and his ability to bounce outside. They HAVE to seal the edges. If Foster gets going, the defense as a whole is in trouble. Unleash Crocker. Let him take his anger from last year out on the Texans. That's about it.

I have a feeling that this is going to be another relatively low scoring game. 20-17, 21-14, etc.

Gresham attacking the seam is very important.

Key to the game ^^

Time to step up Gresh

I think this is the best possible 1st round draw for us and am thrilled that it fell this way. Houston is reeling, it's a relatively short week to prepare and the Bengals are confident. I'm not going to predict a win or anything, but this was definitely our best chance IMO.

Time for some payback from last year. Tough road to hoe for the Bengals in the playoffs. If they win against Houston, I believe they travel to New England for next game. Looking forward to Saturday. Defense is fine, we just need to get the offense going.

If they beat Houston, they're already penciled in to travel to Denver afterwords. Tough sledding either way, of course.

I still cannot believe this is happening.

Me either. The offense is held together with spit and bailing wire, the defense was saved by the Three Most Unlikely Musketeers of All (Wallace Gilberry, Chris Crocker and Pat Sims) and our head coach still loses his mind once or twice a week. To tell you the truth I don't think they have a chance next week, but then again I didn't think they had a chance of a winning record, so what do I know?

Saddle up, boys. We're headed for Texas.

Yes, I agree. The coaching staff needs to come up with a game plan to stop Watt maybe a double team to give Dalton time to pass.

In regards to Marvin losing his mind once or twice a week, I totally agree if by that you mean calling unnecessary time outs and going for it early in the game on 4th and 30.

Time for some payback from last year. Tough road to hoe for the Bengals in the playoffs. If they win against Houston, I believe they travel to New England for next game. Looking forward to Saturday. Defense is fine, we just need to get the offense going.

If they beat Houston, they're already penciled in to travel to Denver afterwords. Tough sledding either way, of course.

I stand corrected...You are right, Denver is the #1 seed not New England. Regardless a tough batch of games. Need to get past the tough Texans first. We will definetly see what the Bengals are made of. I still think we need another solid receiver or two and a break away type running back that could bust a long one---something Cincy has not had since the first few years of Corey Dillon.

Some much needed optimism recently on the board. I had to take a break from you guys prior to the Pittsburgh game. I think we roll in this game. Dalton will have a good game and AJ will get by JJ for a deep TD. If you have watched Matt Schaub at all this year you know he does not like contact. Watching film on Atkins has given him nightmares this week I'm sure. The Bengals win going away 34-12. No way we lose this game and I doubt they even score a TD. WHO DEY!!

I love this match up and think we have a great chance of winning. However, any team can be beaten on any game day. I thought we were going to spank them last year and we ended up losing!! I am hoping and raying that this will be our year. We've got to prepare and be ready to play the entire game. Andy needs to roll out to make more time in finding someone open when we get in trouble. If he stays in the pocket, Watt is going to kill us. Scren plays are going to open the run and pass game for us. I'm pretty sure they're going to try to run on us so we need to stop the run!

I'm ready now guys, Being on the Texans!! Who Dey!!

Also, I was just thinking and laughing a bit. What do you think, Chad, Ced, Carson, TO, etc are thinking about the Bengals now. I bet they wish they were on the roster (except for Palmer, I'm sure he always hated OH).

WHO DEY!!

Well i still think this Houston defense is going to be a problem agaisnt a stuggling bengals offense. If somehow the bengals can give Dalton time to scan the field, and they can get a decent running game, then that would help out big time. However watching the offense the last couple of weeks struggling is not very encourging going in to play a pretty good defense, with a great D-line. They are going to have to score when giving the oppurtunity in the redzone, and dont settle for FG. Gruden needs to find his mojo, that he had when he was calling some of those great games. Now would be a great time to find that offense again, nows the time to get hot again.

Defense needs to keep doing what they do, im not real familiar with Houstons o-line, if they are really good or not, or how the bengals will fair with the rush. However more pressure on Shaub the more he presses and throws int. Take away there run and they become very beatable. They will need there best again like they did in Pitt to win, but they can do it.

They can win this game no doubt, but its going to be really tough. No stupid mental mistakes, no turnovers, no stupid penalties, they still have a tough time overcoming these things. Just win, ill do anything to see a playoff win!

Some Houston notes:

Starting LB Darryl Sharpton placed on IR

No. 3 CB Alan Ball on track to return for the game. OLB Brooks Reed probably not.

/>http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/01/darryl-sharpton-placed-on-injured-reserve-with-hip-problem/

I really am pumped to watch the game this Saturday.

The game I think the game tape the Bengals should focus on is from the Texans game with the Vikings.

Ponder didn't light things up going 16/30 for 174 yards and a TD.

Peterson rushed 25 times for 86 yards and no TD's.

What they did do is, get to the QB for 4 sacks, not allow big plays from the Texans offense, and win the turnover battle.

There is no reason the Bengals can't duplicate that very thing.

They don't need Dalton to throw for 400 yards, just be solid and not turn the ball over.

The defense is capable of bringing a ton of pressure and I want to see them bring it all game long.

DON'T STOP PRESSURING SCHAUB !!!

Line AJ up to the opposite side of JJ Watt and look to Gresham over the middle.

Hope the Bengals can also get the running game going and see some dump offs to Hawkins to utilize his speed.

Well i still think this Houston defense is going to be a problem agaisnt a stuggling bengals offense.

Yes our offense is struggling,But want to know whos Defense is better? and whos offense is struggling more? Texans.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ WHODEY!

Defense needs to keep doing what they do, im not real familiar with Houstons o-line, if they are really good or not,

They were good but they've been letting Schaub get beat up since they started slipping...Now they Face Geno,Dunlap,Peko & MJ...Good luck Texans Oline

The Texans possess 3 things that concern me in this matchup:

Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, and JJ Watt.

1.)Let the Defense do what it do

2.)Double team and like baby freak attack schaub

3.)Double team his ass,make sure he's the focus of the Oline,TE & RB's