Rock is dead.

BengalszoneBilly

It's over. We had our day, and it's now done. Now it's all rap, hip hop, pop, and country. I tried watching VH1 today, and in a blur found myself with the barrel of my .45 planted in my mouth and finger on the trigger. The only thing I can tolerate on TV anymore music wise is CMT. At least they play instruments, sing harmony, and decline from calling women b**ches and ho's.

What happened to Rock I do not know. The major touring acts today are bands I remember from high school playing their same worn out s**t. Van Halen Included. I guess the world did end today, just now I saw it coming.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRjOBr6tmM8

Are you serious, Billy?

If so, I'd recommend you open your eyes and look around. If you're trying to find rock on VH1 or MTV, then I'd point to that as your first problem.

If you need some hope, then just let me know and I can point you in the right direction. thumbsup3.gif

On the other hand, if you're just enjoying Tenacious D and playing off their spoof, then feel free to ignore me. cheers.gif

Are you serious, Billy?

If so, I'd recommend you open your eyes and look around. If you're trying to find rock on VH1 or MTV, then I'd point to that as your first problem.

If you need some hope, then just let me know and I can point you in the right direction. thumbsup3.gif

On the other hand, if you're just enjoying Tenacious D and playing off their spoof, then feel free to ignore me. cheers.gif

Eric I stumbled on the Tenacious D vid looking for the Who's "Rock Is Dead" song. It was so funny I decided to use that instead, but seriously rock and roll is nowhere on the map musically. Tastes have changed, people are different, mentally instable people are walking into schools shooting children, and some goofball (soon to be gay) Canadian kid named Justin Beiber rules the music charts.

A quick look at Billboards Top 100 shows only 2 rock artists/bands on the list. Topping it is Rod Stewart singing Christmas songs. Quite a way futher down the list is "Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits." The rest is country, hip hop, and pop.

Death of a genre doesn't hit much harder than this.

Are you serious, Billy?

Eric I stumbled on the Tenacious D vid looking for the Who's "Rock Is Dead" song. It was so funny I decided to use that instead, but seriously rock and roll is nowhere on the map musically. Tastes have changed, people are different, mentally instable people are walking into schools shooting children, and some goofball (soon to be gay) Canadian kid named Justin Beiber rules the music charts.

A quick look at Billboards Top 100 shows only 2 rock artists/bands on the list. Topping it is Rod Stewart singing Christmas songs. Quite a way futher down the list is "Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits." The rest is country, hip hop, and pop.

Rock is alive and well. Just because the masses don't go for it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Let me restore your faith:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5gy94x450

Are you serious, Billy?

Rock is alive and well. Just because the masses don't go for it shouldn't come as a surprise.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5gy94x450

Without a doubt those dudes rock, but my statement on rock being dead doesn't mean it'll be that way forever. It's just the way it is. I now see how my dad felt when swing music fell out of favor to rock 'n roll. It's all cyclic. In 10 or 20 years it'll be back.

Are you serious, Billy?

Without a doubt those dudes rock, but my statement on rock being dead doesn't mean it'll be that way forever. It's just the way it is. I now see how my dad felt when swing music fell out of favor to rock 'n roll. It's all cyclic. In 10 or 20 years it'll be back.

Oh there's no doubt that it's cyclic. My point is simply that the good music never actually goes away. We just see what happens to be popular at any given moment, but I really couldn't care less about that. It's funny that you point to Country music because THAT is the genre that I'd argue is dead.

Anyway, more faith restoring rock music, and just for you, Billy, it's got a little country flair to it:

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RvcS0PDoA

Music will never be the same with the way technology has changed. Singer's voices are edited so much they don't sound anywhere near the way they really do. Then add in remixes and all the other digital stuff they do now. Do you really think Adam Levine actually sounds like he does on CDs? Where are the great guitar players these days? They certainly aren't in bands in the top 5 on the billboard charts. It's sad that music is more about clothes and looks, rather than about...music? Imagine the music industry being about music? Canada you can have Justin Bieber back, please.

They certainly aren't in bands in the top 5 on the billboard charts.

I'd point out Tim Reynolds who is currently playing with DMB.

One of the best guitarists on the planet.

Is Dave Mathews Band still that popular? How is Soundgarden's new Album? Some members of Velevet Revolver says they are going to make another album, some don't.

Billy, rock isn't dead, it just doesn't get big label push because the fans of rock are all old geezers now. Not me of course, I'm forever young at heart!

I can recommend Clutch. They're a good band. For starters, try two songs, "Mice and Gods", and "10001110101".

Then try Down. Listen to "Stone the Crow".

Rock isn't dead!

Well Rock isn't so dead that we'd be grabbing handfuls of dirt to throw on it, but f**k! It shouldn't be sucking hind tit to kid pop like Justin Beiber. I guess I'm just getting old. I didn't see that coming either.

No wonder Hunter Thompson pulled the trigger.

Then try Down. Listen to "Stone the Crow".

HOLY SH*T COB, YOU THE MAN !!!

I just saw them recently here in Cincinnati. "Stone the Crow" is an amazing tune, but then again, that whole CD is badass. One of my favorite bands of all time is Pantera and I saw them on tour in Germany opening for Judas Priest in support of Cowboys from Hell, before anyone really knew who they were. Anselmo was a beast on stage and I was hooked from the jump. Down is great live as well.

There are some other rock bands I enjoy, but not to the same degree. The band Nonpoint is a band I like and is great live as well. Some of their songs are kind of useless to me, but the ones that hit it are monsterous to listen to. The kind of sh*t to listen to when you are at the gym to get you going.

There is more, but you have to go in search of it these days.

Yeah, not the first time people have questioned my choices in music, but it is what it is.

About the only thing I won't listen to is Death Metal. I listen to stuff close to that, but I also love R&B, and am on a country kick right at the moment.

I'm also a huge Rage Against the Machine freak.

I would travel across the country to see them live if they were to get together for a tour.