Draft Prospects and Early Declariations

Spor_tees

I figured it was getting about that time for a thread like this one. Tyrann Mathieu declared for the draft today. If the Bengals could get him at the top of the second round that would be absolutely awesome.

Tyrann Mathieu to enter NFL draft

Updated: November 29, 2012, 12:00 PM ET

By Joe Schad | ESPN

Former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu announced Thursday he is entering the next NFL draft.

Mathieu Made Impact in 2011

Mathieu Tyrann Mathieu finished fifth in the 2011 Heisman Trophy voting, the third-best finish by a defensive player in the last 20 years. Only Charles Woodson (1st, '97), Ndamukong Suh (4th, '09) and Marvin Jones (4th, '92) had better showings.

• Vote: Should Mathieu go pro?

2011 Achievements

• 6 forced fumbles, most by DB in FBS

• 3rd in FBS in punt return yards, 2 TDs

• 3 of six TDs scored while LSU trailing

-- ESPN Stats & Information

In a statement announcing his decision, Mathieu said, "it is time for me to move forward."

Mathieu thanked his parents and coach Les Miles in his statement, as well as his former LSU teammates.

"I am sorry that I was not able to complete my journey at LSU, but I will always support LSU in any way I can. To my teammates, you are my brothers. You have kept me going. I will do my best to make you all proud of me," he said.

Mathieu, known as the "Honey Badger," was a Heisman Trophy finalist known for his knack for making plays last year. But the 20-year-old Mathieu was suspended for this season due to a substance abuse issue he has continued to work on.

Mathieu was arrested last month on a possession of marijuana charge. He also was dismissed from the football team in August for failing a drug test and entered a treatment program run by former NBA player John Lucas.

Instead of transferring to another lower-division school to play this season, Mathieu re-enrolled at LSU but is not playing football.

Mathieu thanked LSU fans for their continued support and said he was working on his personal problems.

"I am committed to tackling my personal issues and will work to better myself every day as a man first and only then as a football player. I will always consider myself an LSU Tiger," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Honey Badger

He wasn't going to be a first rounder to begin with and with all the questions and time away from playing, I would bet a fair amount he doesn't go in the 2nd either. I know I will be pissed if the Bengals are that team. Jenoris Jenkins is a far better player with far less negative concerns and wasn't picked until the 2nd round.

That and he's 5'9. Before I give a definitive on the guy, lets see what happens at the combine.

I'm still not overwhelmed.

He wasn't going to be a first rounder to begin with and with all the questions and time away from playing, I would bet a fair amount he doesn't go in the 2nd either. I know I will be pissed if the Bengals are that team. Jenoris Jenkins is a far better player with far less negative concerns and wasn't picked until the 2nd round.

That and he's 5'9. Before I give a definitive on the guy, lets see what happens at the combine.

He couldn't have been to bad, he was in the top 5 voting for the Heisman.

Troy Smith won the Heisman...

Come on man! You know that's not even a fair comparison. :lol: A short QB with a less than stellar pro arm strength.

A short QB with a less than stellar pro arm strength.

A short CB with less than stellar cover skills.

Suh was 4th...What was Geno 0? Ya =) I think we won the draft that year with best DT selection.

If you give Ball a running start in a Wildcat formation it's going to be pretty hard to stop him on the edge. Nebraska is getting their asses handed to them in bucket loads.

Joey Harrington and Eddie George, worst in studio combo ever. I would fire Erin Andrews too if she didn't give me a flag pole.

Eddie George just said Alabama was undefeated...

Thanks Raiders, keep sucking !!!

And they do. Per Hensley over at espn.com here's the current top 7 picks:

1. Chiefs (2-10)

2. Jaguars (2-10)

3. Raiders (3-9)

4. Eagles (3-9)

5. Panthers (3-9)

6. Chargers (4-8)

7. Browns (4-8)

In the second the Raiders would rotate to the bottom of that 3-9 group, so the Bengals pick ticks up to 5th thanks to the Browns win. Chiefs still have games against Oakland and Cleveland, and Jax still has to play Miami, Tennessee and the New York Jokes, so there's still a chance for Raiders to suck their way all the way up to 1.

Thanks Raiders, keep sucking !!!

And they do. Per Hensley over at espn.com here's the current top 7 picks:

1. Chiefs (2-10)

2. Jaguars (2-10)

3. Raiders (3-9)

4. Eagles (3-9)

5. Panthers (3-9)

6. Chargers (4-8)

7. Browns (4-8)

In the second the Raiders would rotate to the bottom of that 3-9 group, so the Bengals pick ticks up to 5th thanks to the Browns win. Chiefs still have games against Oakland and Cleveland, and Jax still has to play Miami, Tennessee and the New York Jokes, so there's still a chance for Raiders to suck their way all the way up to 1.

That old saying comes back to me in regards to the Raiders:

EMBRACE THE SUCK !!!

:sure:

Sources say Lattimore is going to declare for the draft. He will be pretty much following the same path Frank Gore took years ago. Is a guy who will not be able to play his entire first year worth drafting? Ok, say the Bengals draft in the late teens or even the early to mid 20's, is Lattimore worth taking a shat at? Had he not gotten injured, he would have been a top 10 pick. Personally, I would wait until the Raiders pick in the second round to take a chance like this. The guy may never play a down of football again, yet he could be a stud for the next 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, you can officially put me on record as wanting Zach Stacy from Vanderbilt on our team.

/>http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stacy_zac00.html

He reminds me a lot of Ray Rice.

I wanted Casey Hayward out of Vandy last year, and Green Bay stole him. Here's hoping Cincy doesn't let me down again!

Honestly, I would be very happy with any of the current top 3 rated RB's in:

Bernard from UNC, Randle from OK St, or Stepfan Taylor from Stanford.

Another guy not mentioned much is actually more of what I want from a speed perspective in:

Gillislee from Florida who is about the same size as those listed except he runs a 4.4 40.

I will be really excited to add any of those guys and still have BJGE for another season.

It's really a win win when considering our picks and the quality at the RB spot.