Bengals @ Chargers Game Thread

TJJackson

IMO while it kinda sucks that Sanu may be shelved, it can hardly be said that the Bengals have suffered a disproportionate amount of injuries this year. Every team gets at least some. Look at the Chargers - they're well and truly f**ked. As for the Bengals, if I had to pick a spot to lose somebody it would be receiver. There's a lot of overlap between Sanu and Hawkins, so thank God he's going to be back this week. If Jones can stay on the field, I think we could be talking about him in a couple of weeks the same way we've been talking about Sanu lately. Next man up!

Well the Bengals lost a starting guard in Wharton, a starting center in Cook, a starting LB in Thomas, Sims missed more than half the year, backup center Faine has been nursing injuries all year, Adam Jones has been nursing injuries all year, along with Newman and Clements.

That's quite a significant amount of injuries to a corp of important or contributing players.

Nothing compared to a lot of other teams. Nursing injuries is par for the course.

Also, instead of mourning the loss, I'll choose to celebrate the fact that this team is deep (when was the last time we could legitimately say that?). If they don't play well without Sanu, that will simply be a failure by the team to plan and play well...not the result of a team-crushing injury.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snake. F**king. Bit. Three and a half f**king years searching for a new No. 2. Coles, Bryant, Owens, Simpson, Caldwell, Armon f**ing Binns. Brandon f**king Tate! Tens of million wasted in free agency. Draft picks galore. And finally -- FINALLY -- it looks like we find the guy and WHAM! Foot. Broke. Gone.

F**k. Hawkins isn't the answer at 2, we know that. He's got a role and I love having him but he's not a No. 2. Jones? Let's hope so.

IMO while it kinda sucks that Sanu may be shelved, it can hardly be said that the Bengals have suffered a disproportionate amount of injuries this year. Every team gets at least some. Look at the Chargers - they're well and truly f**ked. As for the Bengals, if I had to pick a spot to lose somebody it would be receiver. There's a lot of overlap between Sanu and Hawkins, so thank God he's going to be back this week. If Jones can stay on the field, I think we could be talking about him in a couple of weeks the same way we've been talking about Sanu lately. Next man up!

Well the Bengals lost a starting guard in Wharton, a starting center in Cook, a starting LB in Thomas, Sims missed more than half the year, backup center Faine has been nursing injuries all year, Adam Jones has been nursing injuries all year, along with Newman and Clements.

That's quite a significant amount of injuries to a corp of important or contributing players.

Boling for Wharton was a wash. Cook is coming back for the stretch. Faine was awful when we signed him and he's awful now, merely a stopgap, that was upgraded with the play of Robinson. Jones, Newman and Clements have not missed any significant time. Mostly muscle pulls with those guys. Howard was our big loss. Luckily, Burfict has played well, even though he's not as good as Howard is in coverage. I think that we've done pretty well in the injury department, all things considered. That's largely because we have good depth. Insert Baby Hawk in for Sanu, where he was playing well already. Hopefully, Jones steps us like we have been lead to believe that he will. Next man in mentality.

I am excited about Sanu too, but I am honestly not certain his contributions were really as vital as they've been made out to be. I loved the four TDs in three games, but clearly he was never going to keep that pace up (it seemed like a fluke to me, since his particular skillset never really screamed "Red Zone Monster"). He was definitely a possession receiver, and not in the Houshmandzadeh manner (yet). It will stunt his growth and that's f**king annoying, but I don't see why it should ruin anything this 2012 Bengals team is trying to do.

IMO, the most important differences between the 4 game losing streak and the 3 game winning streak have been the running game and the defense -- not the #2 receiver.

The difference for the Bengals injuries are that most came during the preseason or early on.

Wharton, Cook, Howard all were early enough it allowed those players to get time and gel.

I was not a fan of the Wharton signing and chose to look at more than the fact he had family or some sh*t from this area. Like the fact he sucked when at Carolina. Now we have Boling as a SOLID starter and clear upgrade to what we've had in recent years at the position.

Cook going down, another player i'm not particularly fond of, led to Robinson getting significant playing time.

When Cook comes back, we now have a young guy that actually has starting time under his belt. WIN.

Most wanted an upgrade to Howard and even though I didn't have an issue with him, Burfict has been everything everyone was hoping he would. He has been a shining spot at a position that began the season as a weakness.

While I absolutely LOVE Sanu and wanted him in the #2 spot from the jump, that was a forced issue for the team, who saw Jones as the next guy to handle the #2. Now he's healthy and able to realize what the coaches originally wanted and they get a healthy Hawkins back, who was tearing it up prior to his injury. Hell, had Hawkins stayed healthy, we might not have even seen much of Sanu this season.

I said it before and will say it again, Jones and Hawkins will have big games this week and it's good timing before they have to face the Steelers and Ravens again at the end of the season.

Hate it for Sanu, but he just needs to take care of himself to be back next season.

Buck up Bengals fans, we are getting ready to beat the hell out of the Chargers !!!

Indeed - it's next man up - just like most good teams do

Trouble is, Sanu was the next man up. We already know jokers like Tate and Binns can't do the job, and while I like Jones he's not a slot/possession guy, he's a downfield runner.

This sucks.

Hawkins has been the starter all year and played well in that spot. What am I missing? The slot play wasn't an issue.

Indeed - it's next man up - just like most good teams do

Trouble is, Sanu was the next man up. We already know jokers like Tate and Binns can't do the job, and while I like Jones he's not a slot/possession guy, he's a downfield runner.

This sucks.

I look at it like - I have wanted to see more of Jones and Whalen, and although I did not want the injury to Sanu, now as a result of said injury, I will

That said, if Marvin makes Binns or Tate the next man up - yeah, I (same as you) have a problem with that

Let's pray the load goes to Jones and Whalen

(and Babyhawk, if he really is fully healthy. If not, rest him another week.)

Hawkins has been the starter all year and played well in that spot. What am I missing?

4 TDs and 8 3rd down catches in the last three games. You aren't getting that out of Hawkins and that isn't Jones' game.

Hawkins isn't bad on 3rd down and can bust a big play at any time. We still have this guy called Gresham that people seem to be forgetting. Orson Charles has made a couple of nice grabs this season. We've seen Whalen have a productive game. Fingers crossed on Marvin Jones.

Basically, the Bengals still have weapons and it'll be up to Gruden to use them effectively. If they can remain effective in the running game, then it'll make things for all of our 2nd-tier receivers that much more effective.

Yeah, it sucks, but the sky has hardly fallen in.

:( why do the football gods hate us.

Bengals’ Mohamed Sanu needs surgery, could be out for season

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 30, 2012, 12:50 PM EST

Mohamed Sanu AP

Just as Bengals rookie receiver Mohamed Sanu was emerging as a major presence in Cincinnati’s offense, he may have been lost for the season.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said today that Sanu has a stress fracture in his foot that will require surgery, and that Sanu might not be able to play again until next year.

That’s a bigger blow to the Bengals’ offense than Sanu’s numbers might suggest. Although Sanu has caught only 16 passes this season, the Bengals were increasingly relying on him in recent weeks, especially in the red zone, where he scored four touchdowns in the Bengals’ last three games.

A third-round pick in this year’s NFL draft, Sanu took some time to get going in the Bengals’ passing attack, but has now caught at least two passes in five straight games. The next pass he catches may be in September of 2013.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/bengals-mohamed-sanu-needs-surgery-could-be-out-for-season/

Hawkins has been the starter all year and played well in that spot. What am I missing?

4 TDs and 8 3rd down catches in the last three games. You aren't getting that out of Hawkins and that isn't Jones' game.

Hawkins isn't bad on 3rd down and can bust a big play at any time. We still have this guy called Gresham that people seem to be forgetting. Orson Charles has made a couple of nice grabs this season. We've seen Whalen have a productive game. Fingers crossed on Marvin Jones.

Basically, the Bengals still have weapons and it'll be up to Gruden to use them effectively. If they can remain effective in the running game, then it'll make things for all of our 2nd-tier receivers that much more effective.

Yeah, it sucks, but the sky has hardly fallen in.

Well it's also up to Andy to use them,You want him to give the ball to AJ as much as possible but gotta make sure still utilize the other guys too.

Bengals Decembers have not always been great, so hopefully that all changes starting today. They just need to worry about doing there job and leaving with a win. Chargers defense is pretty good but I would love to see them run the ball more again, and use Peerman more as well. Run the ball 30 sometimes, and Marvin's recorded is really good.

It appears as if Norv Turner and AJ Smith are lame ducks, how will the team respond? Will the Chargers come out with fire to defend their leaders, or will they lay an egg showing that Turner and Smith had lost their respect a long time ago?

If Rivers gets hit a lot early, I can see him losing his temper and becoming an interception machine the rest of the game and quite possibly trying to start a fight.