Bengals @ Chargers Game Thread

TJJackson

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bengals have very quietly climbed all the way up to #9 in total defense (#8 vs the pass, #17 vs. the run).

What I have noticed is how the CBs now are pressed at the line, jamming receivers. Not to mention how Jones, and Newman have played, pretty solid if you ask me. It looks like Hall is playing more Nickle, which suits him because of his speed. I'm just hoping they continue to pressure the QB, the more they do this the better the defense will be.

FWIW Prisco has picked the Bengals again this weekend.

The Bengals are surging. The Chargers are not. But this could be the last stand for San Diego. I don't care. Cincinnati is the better team. Look for the Bengals pass rush to get all over Philip Rivers. The Bengals continue their push to the playoffs.

Keep pushing! :bengal:

FWIW Prisco has picked the Bengals again this weekend.

The Bengals are surging. The Chargers are not. But this could be the last stand for San Diego. I don't care. Cincinnati is the better team. Look for the Bengals pass rush to get all over Philip Rivers. The Bengals continue their push to the playoffs.

Keep pushing! :bengal:/>

Thats the big thing for this young team, keep the momentum going. For whatever reasons when the bengals lose momentum they have a really tough time finding it again. So if they can come out with the intensity they have been playing with they have a great shot of pushing on! Couple things that worry me, are them having to go out west, the Chargers might not be great, but when they get hot they can be really good. When this team learns how to handle success, is when i think this team will keep winning, and im hoping they learned how to handle it going through the ups and downs this year. Keep pushing, and just do your job!

Today's practice report:

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy

#bengals LIM: Cook (ankle), Hawkins (knee), Newman (shoulder), Quinn (hamstring), Sanu (foot); FULL: Peerman (neck), Sims (thigh)

Reedy says the docs will check out his foot tomorrow. :frustrated:/>

That's not good at all. It is surprising that they announced that he would be seeing the doctors in the morning. Sounds like there is some swelling that has already occured. It may not be the end of the season for him but a significant foot injury would keep him out for several weeks it would seem.

Sucks about Sanu.

That being said, this is yet another week where I see the Bengals keeping their focus.

If Hawkins is back healthy, which it appears he is, I expect him to step right back in nicely.

Marvin Jones could also have a good game if Sanu isn't a go for Sunday.

There are things that concern me with the Chargers, but I anticipate seeing Rivers on his back quite frequently.

The SD o-line is terrible and can't block for sh*t. They don't have great WR's either.

I think they will depend on screen plays and TE play to push their offense.

Bottomline for me is the Bengals are just an all around better team that seem to be on a mission !!!

Bengals- 31

Chargers- 20

I'm happy Hawk is getting healthy and I want to see more Jones as well. But there's no getting around the fact that losing Sanu would be huge. His emergence has been perhaps the biggest factor in the 3-game win streak IMO.

I think you're right. People are underestimating his impact in the Red Zone resurgence for this team. It's not the same team without him in it. There is not one player on the roster that can step in and do what he does.

Well just when things were going great, they lose Sanu probably for the season. I'm guessing they will use Hawkins like Sanu, run him out if the backfield and things like that. Guess will see how much it hurts them this week, Gruden will just have to make it work.

While I agree that Sanu made a huge difference, I give the O-line credit as well. When Andy has the time to throw, he usually pretty darn good, plus there run blocking improved as well.

IMO while it kinda sucks that Sanu may be shelved, it can hardly be said that the Bengals have suffered a disproportionate amount of injuries this year. Every team gets at least some. Look at the Chargers - they're well and truly f**ked. As for the Bengals, if I had to pick a spot to lose somebody it would be receiver. There's a lot of overlap between Sanu and Hawkins, so thank God he's going to be back this week. If Jones can stay on the field, I think we could be talking about him in a couple of weeks the same way we've been talking about Sanu lately. Next man up!

IMO while it kinda sucks that Sanu may be shelved, it can hardly be said that the Bengals have suffered a disproportionate amount of injuries this year. Every team gets at least some. Look at the Chargers - they're well and truly f**ked. As for the Bengals, if I had to pick a spot to lose somebody it would be receiver. There's a lot of overlap between Sanu and Hawkins, so thank God he's going to be back this week. If Jones can stay on the field, I think we could be talking about him in a couple of weeks the same way we've been talking about Sanu lately. Next man up!

Well the Bengals lost a starting guard in Wharton, a starting center in Cook, a starting LB in Thomas, Sims missed more than half the year, backup center Faine has been nursing injuries all year, Adam Jones has been nursing injuries all year, along with Newman and Clements.

That's quite a significant amount of injuries to a corp of important or contributing players.