Bengals @ Chargers Game Thread

TJJackson

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a mixed bag. Lots to like (Dunlap, Andy, run blocking, BJGE, Nelson pick), lots of "film to look at" (Andy, Peerman injury, pass D, no No. 2 WR again). One game at a time.

I'll take what i'm given in a road win on the west coast.

Figure out / work on the rest and go beat the Cowboys Sunday !!!

Well, that's what they are going to have to do and quite frankly, I couldn't create a better scenario.

If the Bengals end up in the playoffs after beating both the Steelers and Ravens, could you imagine the level of confidence ?? Hopefully they wouldn't take anything lightly from that point, but good God would that be huge.

If nothing else, they sure are making this exciting.

I said you could start getting a better idea for things IF they were to end up at 7-5 and here we are.

Yeah, i'm having more fun now.

If bengals can't beat teams like the steelers and Ravens then they don't deserve the playoffs. A couple months ago people were writing this team off, calling for Marvin's head, so why complain about who they have to beat to make the playoffs. If Marvin's the man for the job, then it's time he proves it, win these big games, and the confidence levels will be so high. They have put themselves in a situation to make it, now it's up to them to do it!

Peerman has a sprained ankle no time table for return.

I think it's time Binns plays again, and sit Tate. How does Binns go from looking pretty good first couple games, to nothing. Give him another shot, or let Whalen play more, with his good hands.

I agree about Binns. Tate would not have a spot on more than half the NFL team out there.

I think they bring up Herron from the PS. Need more than 2 RB's over the next 4 weeks.

With "less" effective WR's, how about working Charles into some of the formations?

If bengals can't beat teams like the steelers and Ravens then they don't deserve the playoffs. A couple months ago people were writing this team off, calling for Marvin's head, so why complain about who they have to beat to make the playoffs. If Marvin's the man for the job, then it's time he proves it, win these big games, and the confidence levels will be so high. They have put themselves in a situation to make it, now it's up to them to do it!

Well I do agree with you that in order for the Bengals to be worthy of making the playoffs, they need to beat other playoff worthy teams, makes sense no? I mean unless a team thinks it is ok, and an achievement to just make the playoffs, they need to know where they stack up against teams that have higher aspirations of a Championship, and not just an appearance. Last year many people pointed out that the Bengals didn't beat a single winning team during the regular season on their way to a beat down by the Texans. This year is somewhat different, though the Bengals are 1-3 so far against divisional opponents, they have beaten some good teams, including the defending Super Bowl Champion Giants. Yes, the same Giants that a week later demolished the Super Bowl Champion from two years ago Green Bay Packers with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Unless Pittsburgh stumbles down the stretch the Bengals need to win out and finish 11-5 in order to clinch a playoff birth. 10 wins is not a shoe-in to the playoffs anymore, ask the New England Patriots of a few years ago. This team has the talent and the ability to be a playoff caliber unit, the question is whether they are strong enough between the ears as well. Need I point out the Bengals have controlled their own destiny before and were a missed chip shot FG, a fumbled bad snap, and a missed extra point away from the playoffs before. Only the Bengals could achieve such feats.

The Bengals control their own destiny, that's a worst case scenario for this team. Haven't we seen this Led Zeppelin crash before?

Well, sure. You could also have said that about everybody's favorite Patriots before Tom Brady took over. Teams are a collection of individuals. They can have certain characteristics over time, but since the people change so can whatever the perceived characteristics are. So, while I understand the "we'll just screw it up again" mentality, I would choose to be optimistic, or at least hopeful, that THIS team may respond better. Perhaps that falls within the definition of insanity, but this team is full of a lot of players that haven't been in this position on this team before.

I think they bring up Herron from the PS. Need more than 2 RB's over the next 4 weeks.

With "less" effective WR's, how about working Charles into some of the formations?

Not sure they bring anyone up, but Pressley might see see a few lugs/catches. He did have a TD catch against Jax. Agree about Charles.

As for the whole issue of the playoffs, I'd love to see them land a postseason berth, but if they do I expect them to exit quickly. They aren't a bad team but they're still missing a couple pieces.

Need I point out the Bengals have controlled their own destiny before and were a missed chip shot FG, a fumbled bad snap, and a missed extra point away from the playoffs before. Only the Bengals could achieve such feats.

If that were true then the Ravens would have been in the SB last year.

Well there is precedence after all. Though the faces change, something remains the same, no? Marvin in his tenure with the Bengals makes the same mistakes annually, despite the fact fans, announcers, analysts, and whomever else sees it. So despite changing coaches, players, and team leaders, Marvin is still the man he was 10 years ago.

I they can beat both the Steelers and Ravens in back to back weeks, they can play with and beat anyone.

The same could be said about this team at the moment, even before those two games. The problem is, the Steelers and Ravens seem to put the Bengals in an awe as of late, that doesn't allow them to play to their potential.

Need I point out the Bengals have controlled their own destiny before and were a missed chip shot FG, a fumbled bad snap, and a missed extra point away from the playoffs before. Only the Bengals could achieve such feats.

Well there is precedence after all. Though the faces change, something remains the same, no? Marvin in his tenure with the Bengals makes the same mistakes annually, despite the fact fans, announcers, analysts, and whomever else sees it. So despite changing coaches, players, and team leaders, Marvin is still the man he was 10 years ago.

Agreed. But you have to agree that the coach doesn't determine everything. Good players can win with a limited coach and bad players can lose with a HOF'er. Marvin Lewis didn't miss the kick in Denver..., etc.

Agreed. But you have to agree that the coach doesn't determine everything. Good players can win with a limited coach and bad players can lose with a HOF'er. Marvin Lewis didn't miss the kick in Denver..., etc.

Please don't remind me of that game. There are parts of me that are still frozen from sitting in a snowstorm at Mile High.

Not sure they bring anyone up, but Pressley might see see a few lugs/catches. He did have a TD catch against Jax. Agree about Charles.

As for the whole issue of the playoffs, I'd love to see them land a postseason berth, but if they do I expect them to exit quickly. They aren't a bad team but they're still missing a couple pieces.

Id personally like to see leonard get more of a shot,the guy has produced when given a chance and would give noce flexibility in the the pass game

I think they would be in a tough spot going to war with two RB's active. PLus Peerman is key on ST. Gotta think they bring Herron up or sign a FA. I think Pressely can see a carry or two but I guess I'm not fully sold on Leonard seeing a partial load of carries. I know he catches the ball well but how can he handle 10-15 carries? Hope he proves me wrong.

Geez, who is even out there on the street? Larry Johnson? <kidding>

Marvin is the same man he was 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean he's the same coach.

If I was judged on the person I was 10 years ago, I wouldn't be a success today and I certainly handle things differently.

Again, I don't care who they play, what their past has been with those teams, or how they feel about them.

If they want the playoffs, go beat them.

Is it just me, or do other people think that Nugent wouldn't be on this team if he had a choice in the matter. He went for it on 4th down and 9 yards to go, instead of letting Nugent try the kick. They got off the hook by a penalty. If a coach doesn't have faith in his kicker to be able to make a 50 yard field goal, it's time to move on. I like Nugent but he isn't a game changer anymore. Marvin won't let him be. The Bengals need to either cut Nugent for someone else, bring in a strong legged kicker for kickoffs and long field goals, or give Marvin the pink slip. This team, including Marvin's judgement, is leaving points on the field.