Bengals @ Chargers Game Thread

TJJackson

And with more than 12,000 tickets still remaining, it won't be the loudest crowd the Bengals will face this season either.

Get a 10-14 point lead and you won't hear anything but crickets in San Diego.

That would make this Bengal fan very happy !!!

Wish i could drive down since tickets should be cheap

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things I saw are:

1. Sanu is now the #2 WR and will be getting his first start there this weekend.

2. I don't know if this is Gruden saying it was him or not, but this was amusing to me:

"He's everything we hoped he would be. It just took us too long a time to figure it out I guess."

I know they thought they had their guy in either Tate or Binns, but they really have to do a better job determining what they have on their roster. I'm sorry, but saying the guy who many thought could go in the bottom of the first, "practices poorly" and use that as a reason to keep him off the field in favor of either Tate or Binns is laughable.

I guess better late than never, but d*mn.

1. Sanu is now the #2 WR and will be getting his first start there this weekend.

2. I don't know if this is Gruden saying it was him or not, but this was amusing to me:

"He's everything we hoped he would be. It just took us too long a time to figure it out I guess."

I know they thought they had their guy in either Tate or Binns, but they really have to do a better job determining what they have on their roster. I'm sorry, but saying the guy who many thought could go in the bottom of the first, "practices poorly" and use that as a reason to keep him off the field in favor of either Tate or Binns is laughable.

It's frustrating but it's also very old school. "You practice as you play" was a coaching cliche, though I'm not sure how much it is anymore among the younger generation of NFL coaches. Marvin still goes by it, for sure. But there are some guys who just don't look good in practice for whatever reason, but come game time, it's on. As I understand it, the thing about Sanu was that he was not showing the ability to separate in practice, but his ability to do that is based on him being physical with the defender (versus being fast or quick) and that's not the way teams practice anymore.

They also clearly liked Armon "he plays Larry Fitgerald in practice" Binns. Coaches have a tendency to fall in love/overvalue their own guys, and that's not a flaw limited to Cincy. But they do it to an extent (especially Paul Alexander) that drives me batty sometimes. Anyhow, water under the bridge now. More Sanu, more Jones, less Binns, cut Tate.

It's frustrating but it's also very old school. "You practice as you play" was a coaching cliche, though I'm not sure how much it is anymore among the younger generation of NFL coaches. Marvin still goes by it, for sure. But there are some guys who just don't look good in practice for whatever reason, but come game time, it's on. As I understand it, the thing about Sanu was that he was not showing the ability to separate in practice, but his ability to do that is based on him being physical with the defender (versus being fast or quick) and that's not the way teams practice anymore.

They also clearly liked Armon "he plays Larry Fitgerald in practice" Binns. Coaches have a tendency to fall in love/overvalue their own guys, and that's not a flaw limited to Cincy. But they do it to an extent (especially Paul Alexander) that drives me batty sometimes. Anyhow, water under the bridge now. More Sanu, more Jones, less Binns, cut Tate.

Sanu and Fitzgerald went to the same college. Sanu broke Larry's numbers there. He's a diamond in the rough.

Sanu and Fitzgerald went to the same college. Sanu broke Larry's numbers there. He's a diamond in the rough.

Fitzgerald went to Pitt, Sanu went to Rutgers, same conference, different schools.

It's frustrating but it's also very old school. "You practice as you play" was a coaching cliche, though I'm not sure how much it is anymore among the younger generation of NFL coaches. Marvin still goes by it, for sure.

I wonder how the hell they explain Maualuga the first 9 games of the season ??

Alcohol withdraws?

:beer:

It's frustrating but it's also very old school. "You practice as you play" was a coaching cliche, though I'm not sure how much it is anymore among the younger generation of NFL coaches. Marvin still goes by it, for sure.

He was fat, remember?

He was fat, remember?

Well, his fat ass must has been awesome in practice...

He was fat, remember?

Thanks you two. Now I got this stuck in my head...

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE

He was fat, remember?

I think it's more Ocrap we have alot injurys at linebacker.

Sorry Hoosier, hope that works it's way out of your system sooner rather than later.

I was only saying that if Marvin says Sanu didn't get a shot in games because he didn't practice well, then Maualuga must be one hell of a practice guy. The first 9 weeks of the season were hell for him on the field and if that theory of you play like you practice were true, then you would guess Maualuga practiced like a schoolgirl.

Which is it ??

Sorry Hoosier, hope that works it's way out of your system sooner rather than later.

I was only saying that if Marvin says Sanu didn't get a shot in games because he didn't practice well, then Maualuga must be one hell of a practice guy. The first 9 weeks of the season were hell for him on the field and if that theory of you play like you practice were true, then you would guess Maualuga practiced like a schoolgirl.

Which is it ??

I think that in Rey's case it's the second factor I mentioned, coaches' tendencies to fall in love with and overvalue their guys. I remember the first pics of Lewis with Maualuga after the draft; Marvin was wearing a 10,000-watt smile. I think Marvin calling him out (along with Dalton) a couple weeks back is a sign that finally the bloom is off the rose, but who knows? Even before this year Maualuga was a disappointment. I remember people saying here that they were tired of the list of excuses (injuries, booze, out of position, etc) and just wanted to see some good play. Despite that his place in the starting lineup was never a question.

Yesterday's practice report:

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy

#bengals DNP: Quinn (hammy); LIM: Cook (roster exemption/ankle), hawkins (knee), Newman (Shoulder), Peerman (neck), Sims (thigh)

Also, Chargers claim Spurlock, who could play if Royal can't go.

/>http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/28/micheal-spurlock-returning-chargers/

Has there ever been a week where Pat Sims didn't show up on the injury list?

He must that Roethlisbergeritis, if he rubs some Ben-gay on it he should be fine.

And Ben just rubs his penis on a defenseless college girl and he's magically all better.