Bengals @ Chargers Game Thread

TJJackson

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early word on Eric Weddle is a concussion, which I think means he will be out for at least the next game.

There is a whole NFL-mandated concussion review process to get through to even start practicing, and I dont think he gets through it in a week

Sounds like the Chargers got really beaten up bigtime in this game

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken

Chargers report 9 game injuries, including Donald Butler (groin), Eric Weddle (concussion), Corey Liuget (tibia), Danario Alexander (thigh)

Don't forget, the Chargers have two players that are the kryptonite of a Bengals defense. They have a stud TE who for some reason Rivers hasn't been looking at much this year, and two good pass catching running backs in Mathews and Ronnie Brown who have a combined 74 receptions 545 yards and 23 first downs this year.

Following last night's OT loss, the Chargers' locker room was baffled, puzzled, distraught, according to former Bengal LB TKO. From the writer's description of the atmosphere, I would add "defeated" to that list.

Nine Chargers were injured in yesterday's game.

Seven of the nine play defense, including starters Weddle (concussion), inside linebacker Donald Butler (groin), defensive end Corey Liuget (tibia) and strong safety Atari Bigby (groin).

Weddle, Bigby and and Butler, in that order, entered the game as the Chargers' three leading tacklers.

“We lost the meat and potatoes of our defense,” linebacker Takeo Spikes said.

Obviously that will bear watching this week. I haven't seen any reports about any significant Bengals injuries following the Raiders game.

I was really sceptical of this coming game due to the game being on the West Coast and looking at what the Chargers are capable of when looking at both their offense and defense. They are a good team that is underachieving. If we catch them at a time of weakness and injury, so be it, because they still need this win badly if they want to stay in the hunt.

The Bengals control their destiny, but I simply want them to focus on the team on the schedule for this coming Sunday and not worry about the next game or the Steelers game down the road. STAY FOCUSED.

Yup. Winning on the West Coast is always tough for the Bengals no matter how much the opposition sucks. I still remember the week 2 heartbreaker in 2003 when they lost to Oakland on a last-second Janikowski FG. Later that season what ought to have been a 7-game winning streak was marred by a sloppy loss at Arizona. Between them, the Cards and Raiders only mustered 8 wins that year, 2 against us. So I don't care how bad the Chargers look, a win next weekend would be a BFD.

Here's the local sportswriter's twitter for anyone who wants to follow along this week: https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee

A little more on the Chargers injury situation: 3 of the injured Chargers are the teams top 3 tacklers - both their starting safeties and a starting ILB

/>http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/chargers/eric-weddle-donald-butler-among-injured-chargers/article_847f2bb2-8e13-5f26-aa57-f2b8007fd459.html

also: Takeo Spikes plays for the Chargers....does this play into the supposed "Takeo Spikes curse"?

Yup. Winning on the West Coast is always tough for the Bengals no matter how much the opposition sucks. I still remember the week 2 heartbreaker in 2003 when they lost to Oakland on a last-second Janikowski FG. Later that season what ought to have been a 7-game winning streak was marred by a sloppy loss at Arizona. Between them, the Cards and Raiders only mustered 8 wins that year, 2 against us. So I don't care how bad the Chargers look, a win next weekend would be a BFD.

Here's the local sportswriter's twitter for anyone who wants to follow along this week: https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee

This just in: I will be at the game. Bought my tickets yesterday. My 10-yr old son and I are going. He hates the Chargers, so it should be fun. I will post shots to my twitter @wgeoghegan.

(gratuitous shot of my son catching a TD pass this season)

(dsc4326cropped.jpg)

Word.

Nice Willy. You guys have fun.

Injury update from SD: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/26/jonas-mouton-brandon-taylor-likely-debut/

A pair of highly drafted Chargers defenders may soon make their NFL debuts.

Inside linebacker Jonas Mouton, a 2011 second-round pick, and safety Brandon Taylor, a rookie third-round choice, are expected to be active Sunday against the Bengals. San Diego was hit hard by injuries Sunday when nine players, included seven on defense, were reported as having suffered ailments in a loss to the Ravens.

The team is preparing to be without inside linebacker Donald Butler on Sunday.

He exited the game late in the second quarter with a groin injury, re-entered for the start of the third quarter but, after one play, was sidelined for good. Butler has 72 tackles, third most on the team, with two forced fumbles and an interception returned for a touchdown.

Mouton, 24, spent his college career at Michigan. He missed his entire rookie season with a shoulder injury and struggled in training camp, specifically with his responsibilities in pass coverage.

He's been inactive all season with the Chargers dressing as many as five outside linebackers a game. Andrew Gachkar has served as the team's fourth inside linebacker for his special teams ability.

Safeties Eric Weddle (concussion), Atari Bigby (groin) and Darrell Stuckey (hamstring) all exited the game early.

Taylor may see a defensive role while being active on special teams, an area in which he was one of the Chargers' most highly graded players in April when coming out of LSU.

Weddle left the game in the fourth quarter when Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin blocked him during a fourth-and-29 conversion. There was no flag on the play.

Coach Norv Turner said Monday he visited Weddle, who "felt pretty good" and was "very positive."

Players were off Monday. The team will have its first practice of the week Wednesday.

So the Bengals are going to throw the ball 30+ times this week including screens passes to Green, Sanu, Gresham, Charles, and BJGE. You can probably count Hawkins in that group too if he gets healthy. BJGE might end up with another 100 yard rushing day, but it won't be for grinding it, he'll more than likely average 10 yards per carry because the safeties have to play so far off the line of scrimmage to help the young corners on deep balls. The LBer's will also have to play deeper to avoid those inside slant patterns and the TE curls. I love it when the other team has to change their game plan to try and stop the strengths of the other team.

And with more than 12,000 tickets still remaining, it won't be the loudest crowd the Bengals will face this season either.

Get a 10-14 point lead and you won't hear anything but crickets in San Diego.

That would make this Bengal fan very happy !!!

I can't really remember the San Diego crowds as being raucous any way. How can they when they are eat sushi and sipping on chardonnay?

Usually the only loud people you see are the military folks who attend the games.

I can't really remember the San Diego crowds as being raucous any way. How can they when they are eat sushi and sipping on chardonnay?

Into stereotyping, eh?

Do they sell sushi and serve fine wine at Paul Brown Stadium? Is it really stereotyping to say fans in San Diego are more subdue than others and tend to have a higher taste in fine dining? Would you eat Sushi dressed up with face paint and some kind of costume?

Into stereotyping, eh?

Do they sell sushi and serve fine wine at Paul Brown Stadium? Is it really stereotyping to say fans in San Diego are more subdue than others and tend to have a higher taste in fine dining? Would you eat Sushi dressed up with face paint and some kind of costume?

It's a mixed crowd. Lots of laid back types, and lots of hardcore fans. In one section will be a really nice family, having a totally chill time, and in another its 25 dudes getting hammered and throwing stuff. I can't wait.

Noted without comment

Chargers ‘Style Lounge’ Debuts at The Q

Pop-up boutique focuses on “fashion-forward NFL women’s apparel”

By Sarah Grieco | Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 | Updated 3:21 PM PST

The Chargers might be on a losing streak, but at least fans can commiserate in style.

A pop-up boutique that focuses on “fashion-forward NFL women’s apparel” will open before Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The female-centric goods for sale even include luxury items, such as clothing from Touch by Alyssa Milano and Italian handbags from Moda by Angelo Anastasio. There’s also Nike Fan Gear for fans that break a sweat – which is likely when watching a game these days.

“We’ll have staff on hand to show off all of the new featured merchandise and help find the perfect holiday gifts for our female fans,” said Chargers CEO A.G. Spanos in a statement.

Fans can pamper themselves at the pop-up store, too. The lounge will also feature music, complimentary Chargers-themed manicures, a photo booth and professional stylist.

The Style Lounge opens at 10 a.m. inside Gate L at Qualcomm Stadium and will close an hour after the game ends.

/>http://www.nbcsandiego.com/the-scene/fashion/Chargers-Style-Lounge-qualcomm-stadium-181069701.html