Life of Pi

BengalszoneBilly

Even in this age of computers, notebooks, whatever tech gizmo you can find, I still read books. The paper kind. Back in 2006 I found a copy of the Life of Pi. It wasn't that hard. I was doing time with lots of it on my hands. From the title I doubted it would be that great, but I was mistaken. It was captivating, I read it at least three times, and now the movie will open on Wednesday.

Of course I'll be in attendance with my bucket of overpriced popcorn. I'm a sucker for movies with tigers. Stuffed or not, I think a takeoff of Calvin and Hobbes might fare pretty well too. :P

Suraj-Sharma-and-tiger-in-009.jpg

I'll give my review of the film Wednesday night.

For the record, Calvin and Hobbes is the best !!

Next, with little ones in the house, almost all movies watched these days are kid friendly.

Last movie I saw ?? Wreck it Ralph

Next movie i'm going to see ?? Rise of the Guardians

Why ?? Because I have a 6 year old and that's the way it is.

F*cking popcorn, f*cking soda, f*cking candy !!!

F*CK !!! F*CK YOU MOVIE INDUSTRY !!!

Rant over.....

Life of Pi is probably my favorite book from the last ten years or so. Every time I get in a discussion about books, it is the book I most recommend to those who haven't read it. The feedback I get is mixed. Everything from thanks I loved it, to didn't even finish it because I just didn't get interested. When I recommend it I always tell them to plow through the first 50 or 60 pages, it could be easy to bail on the book if you expect action and don't get it early.

The movie industry has actually come through for me for once. While I normally can't find anything to care about, this year I have two movies I very much want to see. Life of Pi and Lincoln. Lincoln is my favorite historical figure, and he is played by one of my favorite actors, Daniel Day Lewis. I'm really looking forward to seeing that. And both movies are rated PG, so I can take one of my kids.

Right now I'm reading "With Malice Toward None", a pretty good biography of Lincoln. If you are getting into Lincoln you can read that or a more comprehensive biography called just "Lincoln", written by David Herbert Donald. I wanted to name my only son Lincoln, but my ball and chain refused, insisting on a one syllable name. I got the next best thing, we named him Grant.

For the record, Calvin and Hobbes is the best !!

IMO it's creator Bill Watterson was probably one of America's top five Cartoonists of all time. All of his printings are on my bookshelf.

Ditto. They're all right next to my Bloom County collection.

Too bad they're gone, but we're still stuck with Garfield. I don't even read the comics anymore.

Life of Pi is probably my favorite book from the last ten years or so. Every time I get in a discussion about books, it is the book I most recommend to those who haven't read it. The feedback I get is mixed. Everything from thanks I loved it, to didn't even finish it because I just didn't get interested. When I recommend it I always tell them to plow through the first 50 or 60 pages, it could be easy to bail on the book if you expect action and don't get it early.

I would have to agree with you there COB. I would recommend people read the book before seeing the movie. Be it on a Kindle or whatever, just read the book! :book:

Ha! First time that emoticon ever got used here!

My review of the "Life of Pi' goes as follows. Great flick, and the visuals are awesome in 3D. You really must see it that way. The movie goes step in step with the book almost page for page, which means as COB mentioned it's a little slow at first as Pi explores different religions and proclaims himself a Catholic Hindu. Obviously I'm not going to get into the religious aspects of the film, but they play a large part of the opening chapter.

The movie explodes when they board the Japanese freighter heading for Canada, and the ship goes down in a storm. Some scenes I wouldn't recommend for kids. Richard Parker (the tiger) graphically does what I assume any large predator cat would do with other animals aboard the boat, but the way he and Pi find common ground on a small lifeboat makes the movie. The visuals are amazing, but bear in mind it is quite long. They had to use three different actors to play Pi throughout his life.

My wife (who has never read the book) absolutely loved it, telling me as we left, "This is not the type of movie you usually take me to." Definitely one I'll buy on DVD, and four out of five stars for me.