Kyle Cook

volcom69

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cook is the better option going forward, great.

However, I don't see the use in breaking up what's working.

Sort of what you see with the 49er's sticking with Kaepernick.

Yeah, you have a veteran player with the capability, but you have someone performing well NOW.

I would guess they activate Cook just for emergency purpose. They cut Faine to free up room for him, then let Robinson continue to start.

If Robinson is playing this well each week, with only 5 games left in the season, why would it make any sense to put Cook back in the starting lineup? Let him rest on the bench getting to 100% health wise and condition wise. If the need arises put him in the game, if not don't push it. If Cook takes the full 3 weeks, then that leaves only 2 games plus the playoffs. Breaking up line continuity that late in the season could screw up a lot of things.

The issue is that he hasn't been playing THAT well. He had one good game and one decent game, according to the PFF ratings. In contrast, Jeff Faine was just playing like the worst Center in the league. I understand continuity, but Cook has a much better understanding and command of this offense than Robinson. The staff will not hesitate to throw cook back out there when completely healthy, which sounds like it'll be next week. Who wouldn't want their starting Center back who has demonstrated his impact over the last few years over a UDFA who has played decently over the course of a few weeks?

While I have no doubt that Cook will be out there when healthy, i'm still not a fan of his.

I've seen people with really good stats suck.

I know many people really like Cook, but i'm simply not one of them.

I will give him all the credit in the world for being really smart, but he doesn't appear very physical.

Whatever works best for the Bengals is good by me.

Just beat San Diego...

While I have no doubt that Cook will be out there when healthy, i'm still not a fan of his.

I've seen people with really good stats suck.

I know many people really like Cook, but i'm simply not one of them.

I will give him all the credit in the world for being really smart, but he doesn't appear very physical.

Whatever works best for the Bengals is good by me.

Just beat San Diego...

I have to disagree with you on your assessment of Cook. Many other O-linemen that have played with Cook categorize him as a "brawler." In fact I think Alexander said the same about him. Its a large part of the reason the Bengals kept him around before he became a starter. What was initially his weakness, his abilities to make audibles, has turned into a strength as well.

I still think they cut Faine, activate Cook, and let him rest up and get healthy for a long run unless Robinson either gets hurt or starts playing poorly. The fact that Robinson came in and has had games of calling 100% correct audibles is mind boggling. How many other teams in the league can boast two undrafted free agents making such great contributions to their team, let alone starting?

My 6 year son and many of his kindergarten friends categorize me as "A big dude", but that kind of goes out the window considering i'm only 5'7.

What I see when Cook plays is him getting pushed back and pushed around, not the "Brawler" he's categorized as.

I am, however, more than willing to say most of that may be from the fact his previous guards didn't help him all that much and with the play of Boling and Zietler on either side, that may not be the case any longer.

Like I said, whatever benefits the Bengals as a team is good by me.

There have been many players I don't like that get the nod.

Like I said, I would fully expect them to start Cook if and when he's ready.

It will also be nice we have a backup that actually has some starts under his belt in Robinson.

Based on what Reedy's been saying I think this is the plan. The coaching staff is pleased with Robinson but they want the veteran Cook in place for the stretch run and any playoffs. The target appears to be the Dallas game. Like you, I don't really give a hoot as long as they win.

Like I said, I would fully expect them to start Cook if and when he's ready.

It will also be nice we have a backup that actually has some starts under his belt in Robinson.

Based on what Reedy's been saying I think this is the plan. The coaching staff is pleased with Robinson but they want the veteran Cook in place for the stretch run and any playoffs. The target appears to be the Dallas game. Like you, I don't really give a hoot as long as they win.

Exactly my point Hoosier.

I don't have to like the guy as long as they win.

If/when they don't and Cook was an issue, I will be back to call him/coaches out on it.

I'm not wishing him ill. The opposite as a matter of fact, hope he's all pro upon his return.

After bucket head retired I wasn't sure if the Bengals would ever get another good center that can be a leader of the O-line. Now the Bengals have a center who they just signed to a good contract, and undrafted free agent center that is looking like a 5 year veteran instead of a rookie. What are the Bengals going to do?

After bucket head retired I wasn't sure if the Bengals would ever get another good center that can be a leader of the O-line. Now the Bengals have a center who they just signed to a good contract, and undrafted free agent center that is looking like a 5 year veteran instead of a rookie.

What are the Bengals going to do?

Celebrate?

After bucket head retired I wasn't sure if the Bengals would ever get another good center that can be a leader of the O-line. Now the Bengals have a center who they just signed to a good contract, and undrafted free agent center that is looking like a 5 year veteran instead of a rookie.

Celebrate?

It could be another Evan Mathis situation. If a player like Robinson is playing well, and Cook with the big contract comes back, only one guy can play. That makes me think, as soon as one of them get away from the Bengals they could go to another team and become studs. I don't see it as depth, I see it as trouble. Usually the Bengals draft guys that can play multiple positions so they have a better shot at playing when someone gets hurt, in this situation what do you do? There is no room at guard at the moment either. One guy is going to have to sit the bench and be unhappy about it. That's bad news in the locker room.

I fully expect Cook to get the nod when he's physically ready.

I don't know that I will endorse such a move, but it's what I expect.

Having Robinson there just in case is a nice problem to have at this point.

I understand why the bengals would want to put Cook back in there, but why fix whats not broken at the moment. What has this team been lacking since 09, a good running game. Now i know its only been a couple of weeks, but its been along time since we have seen holes like we have these last couple of weeks. Robinson, and Zeitler have been getting off the ball so fast and low and using power to push guys back, something this o-line has been lacking for sometime. Now i dont know if the running game is fixed, or what the change is, but i know ill be pretty pissed off if they put Cook back in and the running game goes with it, or they struggle because of the continuty is not there. I think it took sometime for this line to gel, and its finally paying off.

Celebrate?

It could be another Evan Mathis situation. If a player like Robinson is playing well, and Cook with the big contract comes back, only one guy can play. That makes me think, as soon as one of them get away from the Bengals they could go to another team and become studs. I don't see it as depth, I see it as trouble. Usually the Bengals draft guys that can play multiple positions so they have a better shot at playing when someone gets hurt, in this situation what do you do? There is no room at guard at the moment either. One guy is going to have to sit the bench and be unhappy about it. That's bad news in the locker room.

Why view it as a problem when it's clearly a problem any team would welcome any day of the week ??

So we are suppose to have sh*tty depth that couldn't play for another team to makes things better ??

Why assume it's going to turn out poorly ??

I fully expect Cook to get the nod when he's physically ready.

I don't know that I will endorse such a move, but it's what I expect.

Having Robinson there just in case is a nice problem to have at this point.

I understand why the bengals would want to put Cook back in there, but why fix whats not broken at the moment. What has this team been lacking since 09, a good running game. Now i know its only been a couple of weeks, but its been along time since we have seen holes like we have these last couple of weeks. Robinson, and Zeitler have been getting off the ball so fast and low and using power to push guys back, something this o-line has been lacking for sometime. Now i dont know if the running game is fixed, or what the change is, but i know ill be pretty pissed off if they put Cook back in and the running game goes with it, or they struggle because of the continuty is not there. I think it took sometime for this line to gel, and its finally paying off.

For the record, I only stated what I think is going to happen, not that I would endorse it.

No...damn I'm wasting my time I guess, it's pretty simple. Robinson is playing at a level he wasn't expected to, and now the Bengals have to choose between a rookie with a low salary that is playing at a relatively high level, or a veteran guy that just signed a new contract and is coming back from injury. Both guys are starter quality, but one of them is going to end up sitting on the bench. Do you think the guy that sits on the bench will be happy? Do you not think that everytime one of the centers makes a mistake fans are going to be screaming for the other guy to come in? Do you think the guy that sits on the bench is going to want to start somewhere else if he can't start for the Bengals? How would you like it if the Bengals had Cam Newton and Dalton? It would be a total waste of talent and value wouldn't it? Evan Mathis didn't get a chance to play in Cincinnati but as soon as he got a chance to start he became one of the top guards in the NFL. I'm not saying Robinson will do that, but who knows he is playing lights out for the Bengals right? Like I mentioned before, I like depth with guys that play multiple positions like the Bengals normally get, but in this situation you have to guys that are just centers.

I give up you guys win...I mean any time fans will defend going for it on 4th down and 9 yards to go verses kicking a 51 yard goal, there is nothing I've got left to say. You can look in hind sight and say they converted it...with the help of a penalty, dear lord open your eyes and look at the facts. Don't tell me they have a high conversion rate on 4th down when most are 4th and a yard or so...not 4th and 9! I guess I'm just out of place where ever I go, because there is no time I ever see a team making the move Marvin did, is if it is the end of the game and they have to score a TD. This was in the middle of the game.

Lord have mercy :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Yep, no worries on my part. I met Robinson and spoke with him and know how happy he was the Bengals even took a chance on him as an UDFA. Seeing him go from an UDFA with zero guarantees to the first backup with starting experience is surely seen as huge in regards to his football future and possible starting time moving forward. If it's easier to cast him as an angry guy, people are more than welcome to that point of view. I highly doubt that is how he's looking at things however.